Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HELP. trouble starting 72 1.7L
Spoke
post Dec 10 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #81

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Did you do all the tests listed?

Test 3 will test if you have voltage at the fuel pump. If the fuel pump relay is clicking (Test 2) then Test 3 will test for voltage at the fuel pump.

PM me when you want to talk. Sounds like we're getting close.

Test 1 proves that you have 12V to power the ECU. This is good.
Test 2 proves that the ECU can power the relay.
Test 3 proves that you have voltage at the fuel pump.

Good thing about these relays is that they are the same unit and can be swapped like Rich said before.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
forzamotorsport9
post Dec 10 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 11,001
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 10 2009, 10:23 PM) *

Did you do all the tests listed?

Test 3 will test if you have voltage at the fuel pump. If the fuel pump relay is clicking (Test 2) then Test 3 will test for voltage at the fuel pump.

PM me when you want to talk. Sounds like we're getting close.

Test 1 proves that you have 12V to power the ECU. This is good.
Test 2 proves that the ECU can power the relay.
Test 3 proves that you have voltage at the fuel pump.

Good thing about these relays is that they are the same unit and can be swapped like Rich said before.

i did test 1 and 2, both positive. ill pm you my phone number so you can guide me through test 3, im a little bit confused as to what to do. im making progress though, and learning a helluva a lot on the way. ill drink to that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
forzamotorsport9
post Dec 10 2009, 11:56 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 11,001
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 8 2009, 12:24 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 7 2009, 11:45 PM) *

what color wire is currently plugged into the fuel pump?

Rich

so, at the pump...what color is the wire.

Rich

ill check that tomorrow i forgot to tonight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Jan 1 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 4,566

ok,

We're going to start working on this again. I've printed off this post so we can run thru all the tests. We my end up bringing Wills car to my house so we have all tools we need, and it would be easier for me! I hope to have the pump running this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Feb 27 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #85

Well we finally got Will's car to my house. I just went thru Spokes tests and on 2d when I jumped the ground I could not hear the fuel pump relay clicking. I'm not sure where to go from here but I haven't looked into it yet. Gotta go get the little one at mema's and papa's!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 1 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #86

Jerry

If you can't get the fuel pump relay to click with power on with 12V measured at Pin I to the ECU (ECU disconnected) and Pin III to the ECU connected to ground, then we need to look at the connections to the fuel pump relay and the relay itself.

Check the resistance of the fuel pump relay coil. Do this by turning ignition OFF, with ECU disconnected, set voltmeter to OHMS and measure resistance between Pin I and Pin III to the ECU. You should read the resistance of the coil which (a guess) should be about 10-50 ohms. If high impedance, we have a problem.

To test the fuel pump relay, swap the power supply relay for the fuel pump relay, turn ignition on and measure 12V at Pin I to the ECU. If not 12V then something is wrong with the relay. If 12V, then the relay is ok.
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Mar 2 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #87

thanks for the info Spoke. I'm in Atlanta right now but when I get home on Monday I will do the tests. thanks again.

Scott
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Mar 9 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #88

Ok, I checked the resistance on the fuel pump relay coil and it read 72.5 ohms. I also checked and we have 12v at pin I with the ignition on.

And now I thought I heard a faint click when I turn the key on which may be the fuel pump relay clicking. or I'm hearing things and 2nd guessing myself!
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Mar 10 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #89

Will was over tonight so we were able to try a couple more things. I confirmed there is power at the pump for 1.5 seconds but the pump won't run. I also switched out the ECU with another one I had and it still won't work. For some reason the fuel pump won't run. We also tried another fuel pump that I have and it won't run either. Any Suggestions??

Thanks

Scott
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 11 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #90

Jerry

QUOTE(silverteener @ Mar 10 2010, 09:35 PM) *

Will was over tonight so we were able to try a couple more things. I confirmed there is power at the pump for 1.5 seconds but the pump won't run. I also switched out the ECU with another one I had and it still won't work. For some reason the fuel pump won't run. We also tried another fuel pump that I have and it won't run either. Any Suggestions??

Thanks

Scott

Just to confirm, the fuel pump has power as expected (1.5 sec) when the key is turned on but the pump isn't running at that time, correct?

Or is it the pump runs for 1.5 sec when the key is turned on but it won't run when cranking the engine?
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Mar 11 2010, 08:09 AM
Post #91

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 11 2010, 04:00 AM) *

QUOTE(silverteener @ Mar 10 2010, 09:35 PM) *

Thanks

Scott

Just to confirm, the fuel pump has power as expected (1.5 sec) when the key is turned on but the pump isn't running at that time, correct?

Or is it the pump runs for 1.5 sec when the key is turned on but it won't run when cranking the engine?

There is power as expected for 1.5 sec when the key is turned on but the pump isn't running at that time. I also plugged one of my pumps in and it won't work either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 11 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #92

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Did you check the power and ground wires of the pump? Could be a ground problem...

--DD
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Mar 11 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #93

I tested the plug for power but how do I check it for ground? I did clean and tighten the grounds next to the relay board and the transmission ground is also tight.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Mar 11 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #94

Well I believe I found the problem. both fuel pumps are junk. I found another pump and wired it up to the battery and it worked. I wired up my spare pump we were using and it wouldn't work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . All I need to do is plug the good one into Will's car and we can see if it will start. Hopefully there won't be too many other problems with it and he'll be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) in no time!
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 03:56 AM