Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> has anyone done their own powdercoating?, with their own powdercoating sprayer..
SECHSER
post Dec 1 2009, 03:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,669
Region Association: Southern California

so i'm thinking about buying my own powder coating sprayer and do it myself. i'm eyeing on this $69.99 unit from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=94244 then i'm going to get an used electric kitchen stove/ oven unit to bake my parts.. anyone's ever done it this way? curious to see if it's easy enough for me to do all that myself.

thank you all in advance for your input (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
oldschool
post Dec 1 2009, 04:14 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(SECHSER @ Dec 1 2009, 01:53 AM) *

so i'm thinking about buying my own powder coating sprayer and do it myself. i'm eyeing on this $69.99 unit from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=94244 then i'm going to get an used electric kitchen stove/ oven unit to bake my parts.. anyone's ever done it this way? curious to see if it's easy enough for me to do all that myself.

go for it man ...I will bring you all my parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
SECHSER
post Dec 1 2009, 04:33 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 1 2009, 02:14 AM) *

go for it man ...I will bring you all my parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

haha.. coo!

hey oldschool dude, you gonna be at the la autoshow media days? i'll be there on the last media day thursday for designer day. will you be there still? we could meet up..
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Dec 1 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #4

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

When I rebuilt my Corvette, I powdercoated everything that would fit in the oven... I use the Eastwood kit and an electric oven I scored for free.

Steel works great... cast iron, no matter how much I sandblast it, rust seems to come back, even under the powdercoat. You'll get great results if you sandblast everything before you powdercoat it.
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Dec 1 2009, 06:10 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Back when I had a Triumph TR-250 there was a guy with a small powder coating
setup as I recall who used to coat parts for many of the other members. It seems
to me that community is similar to this one in that a number of people have
developed expertise in particular areas and made a sideline (or mainline) business/
hobby out of providing services or parts to the community at reasonable prices.

So don't be so quick to dismiss oldschool's offer to bring you his parts. It might
at least defray the cost of the oven, the unit and the powder. In a couple years
you could be the powder coating go-to guy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Skip
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 1 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #6

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

BTDT It's easy. But it's also fiddly and time consuming. You have to be very careful getting parts into the oven without knocking or rubbing the powder off. And if you're doing a lot of parts it takes a while. All of my parts were glass bead blasted first BTW.
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Dec 1 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

There is a "tech shop" here in the Bay Area where a person can go and use their sand blasters, powder coaters, lifts, tools etc.
Unfortunately for me I found them after my project was finished.
http://techshop.ws/
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 1 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #8

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

If I wanted to powdercoat an engine lid, what would be my options? Obviously the size is an issue. I have quite a few I would be interested in doing this to.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 1 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #9

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Perhaps McMark will chime in here. He built his own powdercoating oven out of plywood and insulation and oven parts. I think he can fit items as big as a trailing arm.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Dec 1 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #10

"Ace" Mechanic

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 1 2009, 09:30 AM) *

If I wanted to powdercoat an engine lid, what would be my options? Obviously the size is an issue. I have quite a few I would be interested in doing this to.

For a one-off, I'd take it to a local powdercoater.
+Quote Post
daveyboybadion
post Dec 1 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,437
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I bought and have used the HF powdercoat gun. It works great on steel and aluminum. However I would recommend using the powder from Eastwood, they have a better selection of colors and finishes and it seems to hold up better than HF's. You can pay more for a gun, but for a home shop the HF unit is more than adequate...daveyboy
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Dec 1 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #12

"Ace" Mechanic

Eastwood Ford engine blue is a dead-on match for Mexico Blue (at least the blue that is on my taildragger).
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 1 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #13

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've got the HF unit from a couple years ago. Works fine. You MUST blast your parts or the results will be so-so.

I get my powder on eBay by the pound; any color of the rainbow is available and generally cheap. I've bought a lot of powder from Columbia Coatings. I'm planning to powder coat a spare set of Mahle wheels I have with this special "chrome" powder I have. It actually looks more like gleaming polished aluminum when cured.

Go for it!!
+Quote Post
TwinTurbo914
post Dec 1 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 752

We do all are own power coating at my shop, we actually have used the HF gun for about 4 years now, but we just upgraded. It actually works very well for how cheap it is. Columbia coatings on ebay is a great source for powder, there prices are great and have a ton of colors, getting quality powder makes a big difference. And blasting the parts are a must, don't waste your time coating them unless you blast them. Good luck with it, it is the only way to go.

+Quote Post
oldschool
post Dec 1 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(SECHSER @ Dec 1 2009, 02:33 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 1 2009, 02:14 AM) *

haha.. coo!

hey oldschool dude, you gonna be at the la autoshow media days? i'll be there on the last media day thursday for designer day. will you be there still? we could meet up..

yes in fact I was thinking of what day I wanted to go...lets meet up.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Dec 1 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

Find the HF 20% off coupon on line. Even cheaper!
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Dec 1 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Dec 1 2009, 06:03 AM) *

There is a "tech shop" here in the Bay Area where a person can go and use their sand blasters, powder coaters, lifts, tools etc.
Unfortunately for me I found them after my project was finished.
http://techshop.ws/

Thats a pretty cool place. Guess i'm lucky we have a hobby shop here at work every tuesday. 10 bucks a year, and 2.50 an hour when your working ! Even have a old CNC mill to use ! I'll be there tonight bead blasting my new 2.0 tins.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Dec 1 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,022

I've got the Eastwood kit and an elec., oven i scored for free. I also have access to a professional oven for bigger parts.

It's quick and easy to do. The one thing to make sure of is that the parts are CLEAN. before you bake.

You can Bake the part before you put the powder on, this will get rid of some of the impurities and give a little better finish.

Eastwood also carries high temp. coating, good to 1200*. I used this on the HE's, it worked great. It still looked good after 4k miles.
+Quote Post
SECHSER
post Dec 1 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #19

sAweet! thanks for all your great input guys!! ya i'm gonna go for this for sure then. that's good to know that HF unit is a decent product. i did in fact pick up a sand blasting cabinet and should be ready to go today. that's what triggered me to think about buying my own powder coating sprayer.. i'm gonna practice on 2 sets of vw engine tins on my vw bus and perhaps i could get good enough that i can help some of you guys out later on.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

i'm planning on picking up an electric oven for now.. though i'm not sure what degree these parts need to be baked in and how long to bake them.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) i'd certainly hope the good ole kitchen stove/oven unit is good enough. but even at that, they're average size is about 24" or so wide, so i should be able to bake a good amount of parts for the engine and some suspension stuff, up to rims too perhaps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SECHSER
post Dec 1 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 1 2009, 05:28 AM) *

BTDT It's easy. But it's also fiddly and time consuming. You have to be very careful getting parts into the oven without knocking or rubbing the powder off. And if you're doing a lot of parts it takes a while. All of my parts were glass bead blasted first BTW.

thanks for that good tip mike! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 11:53 PM