Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's talk about coil pack ignition, a grassroots CSOB build?
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 5 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

Will this significantly improve your engines performance, or is this a solution in need of a problem? I truly don't understand a lot of this 'lectrical stuff but is it worth the trouble or just a fun thing to tinker with?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
charliew
post Dec 5 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

Look under the hood of any new car and if you see a coil with a distributor and plug wires don't buy it. It will be a fake new car. The auto mfgs didn't do it to tinker around I'm sure. They did it to keep up with each other because it's the best way at the time to do it. Plugs go 100k and there are not as many high tension connections to get bad and cause poor performance and therefore poor gas mileage and emissions. I doubt new gas tractors even use distributors.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 5 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #23

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

The hardest part of an EDIS system is the crank trigger. MSD makes a good one that mounts on the crank shaft near the pully. I've used Megasquirts many times, very easy to set up if you know a little about F.I. and ignition. Plus MS has a great forum with people to borrow fuel and spark maps from. The Ford EDIS is a graet choice for a six cylinder. Most EDIS setups are either 6 or 4 spark setups, you just add more modules to get 8 cylinders etc... Wasted spart just means it also sparks during the exhaust stroke. This is no big deal because the valve is open.

Rember the Dizzy spins slower than the crank. Trying to get a crank signal out of one without an ECU to manage it is not advised. An inductive crank trigger like MSD will give you much less headaches!

Good Luck
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post Dec 7 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #24

It's phonetic...Ah-D-O-Man (Audioman)

Member No.: 5,084
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks for all the good info. It's really amazing to me how "vague" the information is on boxes like the MS. I know there are entire forums dedicated to answering questions but I have yet to get a call back from any of the suggested companies or any detailed answers on the board. I am not a programmer or familiar with these systems. As a result it is a bit confusing.

It appears that if I use Megajolt then I need to use the EDIS-6. On the MS site they seem to indicate that MS will only control a single coil but then there's a brief mention of a module that can be added for multiple coils. Is that the case? Anybody know?
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Dec 8 2009, 06:08 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,590

QUOTE(ahdoman @ Dec 7 2009, 09:35 PM) *

On the MS site they seem to indicate that MS will only control a single coil but then there's a brief mention of a module that can be added for multiple coils. Is that the case? Anybody know?

Google
Megajolt2/COP
New version coming out that does away with the EDIS module.

Paul
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post Dec 8 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #26

Thanks Paul. I just found that thread last night. That's what I wanted to see; A programmable ignition system that will support 6 COP's without the wasted spark and no EDIS pack. That's nice because all that's needed are the 6 COP's, The Megajolt2 and a 36-1 trigger wheel with pickup. How simple is that?
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 8 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #27

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 5 2009, 11:36 AM) *

Will this significantly improve your engines performance, or is this a solution in need of a problem? I truly don't understand a lot of this 'lectrical stuff but is it worth the trouble or just a fun thing to tinker with?

The world wonders. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post Dec 8 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 8 2009, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 5 2009, 11:36 AM) *

The world wonders. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Elliot - The benefits to power are minimal unless you're running a high power twin plug race engine. However, when it comes to engine managment then there are quite a few benefits. Just eliminating a distributor and the spark delivery system will improve the accuracy of the engine dynamics greatly. In my case I have a distributor and plug wires that are quite old with lots of miles on them. I could either replace those with newer parts (minimum cost around $300 to $400) or for the same money go to a more efficient controllable system. Besides, less moving parts in the engine (i.e. distributor shaft) is a good thing.

The long term plan is to eventually go to an EFI system as well. Then the improvments will give a noticable HP difference.
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Dec 8 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #29

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

Steve, let me know when you get this figured out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And dont forget we have a SDS tuner who does 6 cyl. engines all the time right here in SC. Craig at Simtec Motorsports. Maybe we can get discount on 2 systems!
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Dec 8 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 6,985

Megasquirt can supposedly be set up to run COP (non-wasted spark). And there is a new version of MS coming later this year so they say that will drive COP and do sequential injection. I plan on running that on my 914/6 track car when it comes available.

Scott
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Dec 8 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Guess it's time to chime in again. I don't know 'bout the performance advantage of coil packs, although I am doing one now. I do know that with the Megasquirt 2 unit i'm running, using it to control timing on the dizzy set up, it works very well. I've notice much smoother throttle response and can run a little more advance under normal loads, them being able to back it down under heavy loads. Also runnng a little more advance at high RPM range, this is all with the bus 2.0. It bounces right to 5500 rpm before the hydro lifters go away. Can't wait to build the GA motor for it. Guess what i'm saying is just the fact you can change/tune your timing from a laptop is very nice.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:36 PM