Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche 914 Automatic, I just couldn't resist...Added a video
computers4kids
post Dec 7 2009, 11:00 PM
Post #21

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

Ok...crawled under the car tonight and took some pics the best I could. The shop used an Audi 5000 transaxle and as of this point this is what I belive the ratio to be.
1st = 2.71
2nd = 1.50
3rd = 1.00
Rev = 2.43
Final = 3.45

The only modificaton that invovled cutting, was due to starter location on an Audi transaxle...12:00. An inspection plate was installed in the trunk to gain the height for the starter.
(IMG:http://computers4kidshome.com/Audi/TrunkStarterCap.jpg)
(IMG:http://computers4kidshome.com/Audi/Starter.jpg)
Here's a rear shot
(IMG:http://computers4kidshome.com/Audi/rear.jpg)
Motor mount
(IMG:http://computers4kidshome.com/Audi/motormount.jpg)
Passenger Side
(IMG:http://computers4kidshome.com/Audi/passengerside.jpg)
Driver Side
(IMG:http://computers4kidshome.com/Audi/Driverside.jpg)
ATF Filler tube going through backplate
(IMG:http://computers4kidshome.com/Audi/ATFfillertube.jpg)
Notice where they mounted the gauges...and checkout that pedal cluster. They must of wanted to make a wider brake pedal for the older lady who had the converion done for her.
(IMG:http://computers4kidshome.com/Audi/pedalcluster.jpg)

Too dark to get a decent picture of the transaxle mating the motor...will have to wait.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Dec 7 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,090
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Mark, Looks Good. I wonder what knid of torque the Audi 5000 can handle? Put it to the test with a trans brake on the V-8 car.

BTW, my 76 has tits on the front but none on the rear?
Antominicly correct?
+Quote Post
shelby/914
post Dec 8 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 4,655
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Sorry to be OT but thought I'd answer the question above. My '76 had tits front and back before the backdate. It's not a California car since it has a sticker stating that it is non cat equiped. No COA so don't know where it was from origionally.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 8 2009, 12:50 AM
Post #24

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It looks like the selector cable sheath is resting on the left CV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Cool find (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
dw914er
post Dec 8 2009, 03:27 AM
Post #25

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

very cool find!
+Quote Post
flipb
post Dec 8 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 10,752

Definitely cool. As I often illustrate to my passengers, the joy of a 914 isn't its acceleration, nor shifting it... it's tearing through the twisties with confidence.

How does the speedometer work? Weren't the originals driven by the mechanical speedo drive from the rear of the transmission?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 8 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #27

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

I'd be replacing those tranny mounts ASAP

And maybe you can replace the Breadbox around the shifter with a 930 rubber boot

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Dec 8 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Cool. That inspection plate looks like a cut up 2.7 CIS airbox cover.
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Dec 8 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #29

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Dec 7 2009, 09:40 PM) *

Hey Mark, Looks Good. I wonder what knid of torque the Audi 5000 can handle? Put it to the test with a trans brake on the V-8 car.

BTW, my 76 has tits on the front but none on the rear?
Antominicly correct?

Too cool. I wonder if it bolts right up to the engine or if an adapter is required????
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 8 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #30

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Is that bolted directly to the block? Show the bolts for the bellhousing. Cool!
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 8 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #31

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 8 2009, 07:06 AM) *

I'd be replacing those tranny mounts ASAP

And maybe you can replace the Breadbox around the shifter with a 930 rubber boot

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I bet the mounts originally were made to bolt those "L" brackets directly to the floorboard, and then the installer decided the trans needed to drop another 1/2 inch and put those spacers in. The mounts are very stout except for the spacer part...even though they've lasted 10 years already, I'll probably re-fab the "L" long enough to bolt directly to the original 914 floor mount supports.

The shifter I think will definetly look better without the console, re-locate the gauges perhaps in the stock cluster gauges. Haven't had anytime to look closely at the shift box yet...would be nice to re-style it to look period correct, or drop it's height a bit. The 930 boot might work if I do some customizing...I would want to to keep the gear visible gear selection.

As soon as I have some free time, and give the car a good once over, I'd like to go for a drive and post a video.

Rick, no adapter plate...bolted right to engine. This weekend I'll have time to put the car in the air to get some better pics of the trans mating the block.
Edit: I stand corrected, there is a plate between the trans and block. I'll get some pics over the weekend.

Will check out speedo setup as well.
Attached Image Attached Image

Question: I've owned a CA 75 before and it was a 2.0 with djet and air injection, as well as the unique late exhaust, header stubs and cat. This car is much different. It is a 1.8 LJet that looks original as they come, but has no air injection, has early exchangers and muffler. It also has no egr or cat button in the 3 gauge cluster. How can I tell if this car orignated a CA car or not? It appears that it's not, but I'm not sure at this point. Paperwork makes the car look like it was first purchased in CA. No smog sticker in driver's door jamb. The build date was 10/74.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 8 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #32

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

You really need to do an Exellence type road report. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) We want all the details.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 8 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #33

Love these little cars!

I found the shifter that was used in this conversion. It comes from Vanagons or Westfalias in the 80s.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Dec 9 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

it looks like you cable (pos) is hitting the trans?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 9 2009, 12:16 AM
Post #35

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Fix that before putting a battery in or you will be welding!
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Dec 9 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

Wonder about the cv's and axle shafts ?? What is the cv on the trans side and the wheel side ? Looks like six bolts on the trans with little plates under them?? I'm not asking to remove them for inspection , just curious . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Also does it or would it use a trans fluid cooler ??

Jaxdream
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 9 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #37

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 8 2009, 10:16 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Fix that before putting a battery in or you will be welding!

Yeah, the picture misrepresents how close that cable is...actually several inches away. The battery was out of the car during the pics...cables actually pull up much higher. I did go ahead and zip tie them up more anyway...nice to be safe than sorry.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 9 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #38

Love these little cars!

When I bought this car it was not running, just turning over. They PO said it just wouldn't start one day and he put no effort into finding the problem. So after 8 years of driving it, it then just sat for a full year.

Well, I cleaned-up the battery connections and charged the battery, checked the oil and wires etc and I figured...what the heck lets see what happens.

Motor just turned and turned...no life. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Being the experienced 914 owner that I am. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I said...."I don't hear the fuel pump running (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) and preceded to check the fuse on the relay board...nope it's good. Let's try replacing the relay... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) It roared to life instantly. I couldn't believe it. After letting it run for a few minutes I went around looking for fuel leaks...no leaks. The idle purred and didn't fluctuate....no air leaks...this is getting to good to be true.

So I took it off the jackstands and hopped in, turned the key and varrrooom. Went to push the clutch...oh yeah, don't have one, checked the brakes...nice and firm, dropped it into gear and ripped out of my garage and all over my neighborhood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Total trip...no shifting, very wierd and pretty peppy. I didn't want to press my luck with no plates so I headed back to the barn.
I can't wait to open this thing up on some twisties and see what it will do.

Only thing that doesn't seem to work is the speedo and a headlight beam...not bad. It's hard to believe this car has been driven for a decade without a speedo. Too dark to see if one is hooked-up some how and just not working.
Edit: Speedometer does work
Time for a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 9 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #39

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

That's awesome! Your lucky you bought it when you did... I was in contact with him also... You beat me to it. Keep us posted on the progress.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Dec 9 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 9 2009, 05:50 PM) *

When I bought this car it was not running, just turning over. They PO said it just wouldn't start one day and he put no effort into finding the problem. So after 8 years of driving it, it then just sat for a full year.

Well, I cleaned-up the battery connections and charged the battery, checked the oil and wires etc and I figured...what the heck lets see what happens.

Motor just turned and turned...no life. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Being the experienced 914 owner that I am. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I said...."I don't hear the fuel pump running (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) and preceded to check the fuse on the relay board...nope it's good. Let's try replacing the relay... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) It roared to life instantly. I couldn't believe it. After letting it run for a few minutes I went around looking for fuel leaks...no leaks. The idle purred and didn't fluctuate....no air leaks...this is getting to good to be true.

So I took it off the jackstands and hopped in, turned the key and varrrooom. Went to push the clutch...oh yeah, don't have one, checked the brakes...nice and firm, dropped it into gear and ripped out of my garage and all over my neighborhood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Total trip...no shifting, very wierd and pretty peppy. I didn't want to press my luck with no plates so I headed back to the barn.
I can't wait to open this thing up on some twisties and see what it will do.

Only thing that doesn't seem to work is the speedo and a headlight beam...not bad. It's hard to believe this car has been driven for a decade without a speedo. Too dark to see if one is hooked-up some how and just not working.

Time for a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Very good news, after 8 years no break problems?
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:52 PM