Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Roadtripping the USA Here and Now!, Travel updates on the last pg..
Madswede
post Jan 12 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #41

Flat Out Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(pillay2k @ Jan 12 2010, 12:30 PM) *

But you touch on a good point... want to cry a little? Our current gas price is roughly £1.20/Ltr and US price works out at £0.46/Ltr.... Yes, really! Fuel cost is our smallest budget.

I just wanted to put that into American terms so we can really appreciate what you're paying in the UK. According to google, the exchange rate is currently $1.618 to £1. So if you're paying £1.2/L that would be same as £4.542/USGal or about $7.35/USGal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) Current prices in NM right now are hovering around $2.69/USGal so that will be a nice change. Of course, you will be driving a LOT of miles!

- Nelson
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 12 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #42

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jan 12 2010, 03:16 PM) *

As the token Albuquerque member these days (which pretty much makes me the token New Mexico member, though I probably just don't know anyone from the southern parts of the NM), I would like to at least meet up with you folks and perhaps pick up a dinner tab and a pint at my favorite locally-owned (and 914 fan/owner as well as Atomic Ramble 2007 sponsor) brewpub / restaurant.

PM me and let me know when you think you'll be in the Santa Fe - Albuquerque area and I can help make recommendations if needed or possibly even put you up myself, if you don't mind roughing it a bit. (i.e. your own room but on a futon).

Cheers, and hope it's a great trip! Love it when people tour my part of the country!

- Nelson

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Been there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Jan 12 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,568
Region Association: None

No current pan b for that part of the route... will snow chains and slow progress be a issue? Any suggestions welcome!

It could be snow chains and no progress, or it could be beautiful and dry...
It's Wyoming!!
http://www.wyoroad.info/
Might want to keep that website handy when the time comes.
They've got weather and road conditions, in addition to web-cams.
Mike
+Quote Post
LeNoah
post Jan 12 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 9,515
Region Association: Southern California

We do several road trips out of SoCal with our Porsche buddies every year. Please don't miss Hwy 1 from LA to San Francisco. It even gets more beautiful as you go north. Stop at Nepenthe in Big Sur for lunch. Google Big Sur. Your map looks like you are taking Hwy 5 North from LA. Please don't, Hwy 1 will tke your breath away. Frankly, having traveled all over the US by car, I think it is hard to find more beautiful driving than the west coast. Colorado is certainly stunning as well
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 12 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #45

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jan 12 2010, 04:38 PM) *

No current pan b for that part of the route... will snow chains and slow progress be a issue? Any suggestions welcome!

It could be snow chains and no progress, or it could be beautiful and dry...
It's Wyoming!!
http://www.wyoroad.info/
Might want to keep that website handy when the time comes.
They've got weather and road conditions, in addition to web-cams.
Mike

Are you going to have a cell phone when your here? A Blackberry could be handy for that link above.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pillay2k
post Feb 3 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 8,136
Region Association: England

Just an update on our travel plans (see below).... We will be grabbing a couple of cell phones when we arrive and will share our numbers on here, so if we are in your area and anyone is free on an evening (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Looking at some nice roads now and refining the Google auto route maker as it has missed some gems like highway 1... shame most of the Yosemite roads are closed this time of year maybe next time! I like the fact you can use Google street view on laguna seca and there are racecars going round! Anyway, back to it i go... hostels, pubs and fun stuff to sort still!

Hope to meet a few people in less than a month or so! (you can also Facebook me @ Fab Pillay)

p.s. this timetable is not set in stone we will be flying by the seat of our pants most of the time.... but does get us to our homebound flight in time, which is nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 3 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #47

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Dude, you are gonna be 1.5 hrs away from the Hershey swap meet and Porsche show on April 24-25. We have an event that happens at the same time called the Mid Engine Invasion. Last year we had like 30 914s parade in together. There were even more there that were not yet associated with us.

You should consider it being so close. You can crash at my place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
pillay2k
post Feb 3 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 3 2010, 11:03 PM) *

Dude, you are gonna be 1.5 hrs away from the Hershey swap meet and Porsche show on April 24-25. We have an event that happens at the same time called the Mid Engine Invasion. Last year we had like 30 914s parade in together. There were even more there that were not yet associated with us.

You should consider it being so close. You can crash at my place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sounds great... but date are off? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) we'll be back in the UK by 24-25 April... Thanks for the offer though!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
patssle
post Feb 3 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 10,741

As somebody who spent 25 days and 8k or 9k miles on the road in 2009 traveling the back roads of the 4 corner states and the Appalachians - I think you're going to be missing most of the beauty of America. And that your plan will fall to pieces when you realize some places really do suck and you'll want to move on to the next.

What are you coming for? The geological beauty or to see the cities? Or both? 7 days between Alb, NM and Houston? You will be very dissapointed, it's an ugly part of the country. I would drive straight from Alb to New Orleans only stopping to sleep. You're missing the national parks of Utah and the majority of Colorado - a major loss. I spent an entire week in Colorado - and desperately want to go back for everything I missed.

Sorry for being a negative nancy - but while driving across America sounds great, you'll end up missing most her beauty from the main freeways and interstates as you speed from one city to the next.

For researching routes, google the All American roads. There are some amazing drives, specifically the skyway that will get you up into Maryland from the Carolinas.
+Quote Post
pillay2k
post Feb 3 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #50

Bit of both really, don't take the auto Google road map to heart. We have always planned to get off the highway and explore the parks and forests, even the trip to Grand Canyon isn't on the map but we are going there (ran out of destination letters on the Google map thing)!

We are a bit unsure about the alb to Houston bit but don't want to over do it with the driving. Houston is a definite stop as we want to see the space center (being engineers and all!)

Stuff like that and anything different is what we want. After 5 years in one small (tiny by US standards) city for university we just need to explore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
RJMII
post Feb 3 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #51

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

Personally... I'd skip the 'Casper' part of the trip. There is better scenery if you head North 16 miles south of Green River, go up through Farson, over South Pass, over through Lander, Riverton, hang a left in Shoshoni, go through Wind River Canyon, up through THermopolis (Hot Springs State Park), through Worland (where I live), then either up through Greybul and over the Big Horn Mountains via Shell Canyon, or go through Ten Sleep and over the Big Horn Mountains via Ten Sleep canyon...

sorry for the run on sentence. =o) The scenery is better up here. the I-80 corridor is long, boring, and windy.

Edit: ...Jackson Hole... and the Tetons. MUCH better than Casper.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 3 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #52

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

If you do end up in Hollywood and would like to visit a famous unique place drop me a PM and I will have passes to The Magic Castle waiting! It is a private club where famous magicians perform for eachother.

Magic Castle Dinner and a show 1-323-851-3313

We also own a Hotel next door that is clean and comfortable

Magic Hotel Hollywood 1-323-851-0800

Jeff
+Quote Post
pillay2k
post Feb 4 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(RJMII @ Feb 4 2010, 12:00 AM) *

Personally... I'd skip the 'Casper' part of the trip. There is better scenery if you head North 16 miles south of Green River, go up through Farson, over South Pass, over through Lander, Riverton, hang a left in Shoshoni, go through Wind River Canyon, up through THermopolis (Hot Springs State Park), through Worland (where I live), then either up through Greybul and over the Big Horn Mountains via Shell Canyon, or go through Ten Sleep and over the Big Horn Mountains via Ten Sleep canyon...

sorry for the run on sentence. =o) The scenery is better up here. the I-80 corridor is long, boring, and windy.

Edit: ...Jackson Hole... and the Tetons. MUCH better than Casper.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Thats what i'm talking about! Great local knowledge and added to the route...

I have also just realised that my playing yesterday did result in Rock Springs getting removed from the route and th Tetons being added... bit more tweaking and i think we can cover your suggestions!
Many thanks.

New WIP google map route through there... many more like this to play with. Time to update my Becker SatNav with US maps then!

to:las vegas to:park city, ut to:moose to:shoshoni to:greybull to:sheridan, wy to:Mount Rushmore, Portland, OR
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Feb 4 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #54

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

QUOTE(pillay2k @ Feb 4 2010, 11:25 AM) *

to:las vegas to:park city, ut to:moose to:shoshoni to:greybull to:sheridan, wy to:Mount Rushmore, Portland, OR

Yeah, that will net you a bunch of nice scenery; and you'll get to see George, Tom, Teddy and Abe. =o)
+Quote Post
flipb
post Feb 4 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Since you're planning to hit DC on 4/15, you can pick up everyone's tax returns along the way and drop them off when you get here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
pillay2k
post Feb 4 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 4 2010, 07:51 PM) *

Since you're planning to hit DC on 4/15, you can pick up everyone's tax returns along the way and drop them off when you get here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

lol, don't think there will be room in the car... i'm planning on packing it with '14 parts as we go... (don't tell Nick, he thinks a big car is good for golf clubs...) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 4 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #57

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yo Fab! You can both crash at my place when in your in Denver. PM me and let me know if you want to take me up on the offer. We'd love to meet up with you guys regardless. give you some of the local trivia etc... Cheers!
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Feb 4 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #58

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 3 2010, 05:03 PM) *

I am hoping to time the delivery of my car to ScottyB with the Hershey weekend. Birthday is the 27th so I thought I'd treat myself. Would be nice to visit it even if I am going to be in my truck.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 5 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #59

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Lunch with The Cap'n and The Lovely Lyn in Santa Maria, 3+ hours north of LA on your way to San Francisco ....................... Santa Maria style Tri Tip sandwiches at a local place, or something else if you're afraid you won't want to leave .............

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Feb 5 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #60

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

I live in Flagstaff and will meet with you. Keep this web site and keep us informed on your travels; Grand Canyon is about 75 miles away (South Rim).

If you are having traveling problems, I can be an emergency connection point, and Move Quik can be coordinated with your traveling. Somewhere the 914World Club has a list of members throughout the U.S. that have offerred to provide connection points. Maybe we can get this information and provide it to our "international guests.

Looks like a very interesting trip and have fun. Looking forward to your travel progress.

Steve N Sandy Hurt
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:11 AM