Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Triad muffler
RonnieJ
post Dec 18 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #1

RonnieJ

Group: Members
Member No.: 829
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I heard a clip of a Triad Muffler on a 914-4 and a 914-6 and it sounded pretty nice. Is anyone running a Triad and how do you like it? I would like to hear some response back before I drop the cash on one. Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
6freak
post Dec 18 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #2

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

awsome! and a good guy to boot
+Quote Post
tod914
post Dec 18 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Great muffler. I did a backdate on my 75 2.0 with SSE & a Triad. Notable gain in horsepower with the two. The Triad's noise level I would rate between a street Bursch and a Monza. It bordered on the high end of my noise tollerance, but sounded great. Monza is way too loud for my tastes. I also have sensitive ears, so might not be the best opinion to base it on.
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Dec 18 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #4

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914

it is a great muffler,
but i would like a quieter one some days on long drives
not restrictive, loud pipes save lives!
+Quote Post
RonnieJ
post Dec 18 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #5

RonnieJ

QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 18 2009, 12:12 PM) *

Great muffler. I did a backdate on my 75 2.0 with SSE & a Triad. Notable gain in horsepower with the two. The Triad's noise level I would rate between a street Bursch and a Monza. It bordered on the high end of my noise tollerance, but sounded great. Monza is way too loud for my tastes. I also have sensitive ears, so might not be the best opinion to base it on.

I am running dual 40 webers with stainles steel heat exchangers and don't really care for the sound from my Bursch. The Triad seems to have a much better sound.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Dec 18 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #6

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

Ive had many compliments on the way my car sounds .....1970.. -6 with BB headers and triad duel out pipes
+Quote Post
RonnieJ
post Dec 18 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #7

RonnieJ

QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 18 2009, 12:22 PM) *

Ive had many compliments on the way my car sounds .....1970.. -6 with BB headers and triad duel out pipes

Good deal. The tone of the Triad is like nothing else I have heard on a 914 . The Monza is way to load for me and I just don't care for the Bursch. Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 18 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Dec 18 2009, 09:18 AM) *

I am running dual 40 webers with stainles steel heat exchangers and don't really care for the sound from my Bursch. The Triad seems to have a much better sound.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I have the same setup and love the sound...lot more midrange sound to keep it from sounding tin-y.
+Quote Post
number6
post Dec 18 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,546

Dave's a great guy.

On my -4, I liked the Triad.

On my old 3.2 -6 conversion and current '69 911 coupe, the Triad has BAD reverberation between 3,000-4,2000rpm, depending on which gear. If going on a -6 that will be a daily driver, I would urge you to look into this, to see if it's something you can live with, because it gets really annoying, really fast. On the above-mentioned 3.2 (w/ headers), it was particularly bad - every passenger complained! But mind you, that's w/ the top on. Top off, the sound was great, without issue, though, TO ME, it takes away the raspy, aircooled exhaust soundtrack that I love. That's a personal preference obviously!

*Edit: I see you're looking to put the Triad on a -4. I'll leave above -6 info in case it benefits other members.
+Quote Post
Mr.242
post Dec 18 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #10

May your glass be smaller so it's always FULL!

Member No.: 9,160

QUOTE(number6 @ Dec 18 2009, 12:12 PM) *

On my old 3.2 -6 conversion and current '69 911 coupe, the Triad has BAD reverberation between 3,000-4,2000rpm, depending on which gear. If going on a -6 that will be a daily driver, I would urge you to look into this, to see if it's something you can live with, because it gets really annoying, really fast. On the above-mentioned 3.2 (w/ headers), it was particularly bad - every passenger complained! But mind you, that's w/ the top on. Top off, the sound was great, without issue, though, TO ME, it takes away the raspy, aircooled exhaust soundtrack that I love. That's a personal preference obviously!

DOUGH!!!.....guess who he sold it too! I've yet to have my car up to speed with the TRIAD on my SIX.

When at idle or slight rev, I loved the sound....let's hope it was just on 'number6's vehicle, eh?

I guess he's saying....NO PASSENGERS!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
number6
post Dec 18 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,546

QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Dec 18 2009, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(number6 @ Dec 18 2009, 12:12 PM) *

DOUGH!!!.....guess who he sold it too! I've yet to have my car up to speed with the TRIAD on my SIX.

When at idle or slight rev, I loved the sound....let's hope it was just on 'number6's vehicle, eh?

I guess he's saying....NO PASSENGERS!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

More like KEEP THE TOP OFF and enjoy the open-air motoring experience (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But seriously, this is only an annoyance for a daily driver. Top off, on the throttle, the Triad sounds great! It's putzing around, stuck ~3,000-4,000rpm that sucked w/ the 3.2 (for my setup, at least).

I won't pretend to understand exhaust systems and dynamics, but I think lots of factors come into play to contribute to the reverberation issue. I was told by Ben at M&K Exhaust that all 2-in, 2-out systems have this issue to some extent - where they differ is in how much and where on the RPM range.

Mark, glad you're making progress with your car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SGB
post Dec 18 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #12

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Probably my car in the clip you saw. It seems to have really been viewed alot. That was right after I put the triad on my 2.0 four with webers and ss HEs. It really sounds alot better now- better valve adjustment and closer carb synch make it even more mellow (not softer, mind you- still loud...).

+Quote Post
914four
post Mar 6 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,582

QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 18 2009, 04:00 PM) *

Probably my car in the clip you saw. It seems to have really been viewed alot. That was right after I put the triad on my 2.0 four with webers and ss HEs. It really sounds alot better now- better valve adjustment and closer carb synch make it even more mellow (not softer, mind you- still loud...).

Please post a link. I have seen it somewhere but I can't fine it now. Sounds great on my computer with nice speakers!
+Quote Post
jmill
post Mar 6 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #14

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038

Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf1cpu2A2k
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 7 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #15

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Dec 18 2009, 10:18 AM) *
Same here. I love it. Best sounding 914/4 muffler out there IMHO. I took it off and put on a stock muffler for a road trip to New Mexico a few years ago. I thought the stock muff would be uieter for a road trip. I ran the car with the stock muffler for another year or so. Just got around to putting the Triad back on a couple of months ago. Love it even more! And I realized that at highway speeds, top on or off, the Triad really isn't louder than a stock muffler with carbs and SS HEs.
+Quote Post
Steve73
post Jul 30 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #16

Photographer/Shade Tree Mechanic

Member No.: 13,269

Looking into the Triad or Bursch exhaust. Leaning towards the Triad.

From their web site it seems like they can adjust the noise level to your tastes.

Any updated experiences with mufflers?
Triad West Performace Products web site
+Quote Post
Annapolis914
post Jul 30 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 18,782
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for bringing this one back as I am in market as well for the 2.0. Hope to hear some additional feedback.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 30 2015, 05:33 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I have a Triad on my 3.2 with factory heat exchangers. I have not noticed any reverberation issues. Sounds great and I love the look. The only problem I had was the the tail pipes were slanted down a bit and would scrape on deep driveways. I paid a muffler shop to cut them off and reweld them on straight. Even with the additional muffler shop rework it was still a bargain compared to other dual exhaust six options.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jul 30 2015, 06:16 PM
Post #19

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

Go with the Triad, I had a Burch Muffler & didn't like the low rasp slow driving sound in town.
I went Triad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) and it's got the right sound (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jul 30 2015, 06:25 PM
Post #20

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

Forgot to say, those (2) pipes sticking out behind with that throaty Triad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) sound look real good. It's even better when running at 3K RPM.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:23 PM