Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rally racer leaves scene of crash, Having wiped out several people.
Randal
post Dec 27 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

Check out the video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/26/j...c_n_403957.html

Rally racing, truly a spectator sport.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 37)
zymurgist
post Dec 30 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #21

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 30 2009, 02:17 PM) *

I'll say this... I hope none of us have to make the choice.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

+Quote Post
Numbchux
post Dec 30 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,758
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 29 2009, 12:59 PM) *

this guy is probably not an EMT, and would not be able to render any aid. wtf is he supposed to do, according to the racing rules?

agreed. a rally car is not easy to get in and out of. I probably would have glanced, seen that there were many many unhurt people around, known that I would have little to offer AND would have taken me minutes longer to offer it than anyone else there.

It's quite obvious he didn't continue without a second thought, he stayed for many seconds longer than necessary. Plenty of time to see that there were rally officials (possibly EMTs, hard to tell from the video) already there.

nobody ever said he denied the incident. there's no question who did it, and how it happened. From what I know of Rally here in the US (I'm on the service crew for a team based here in MN), those driver's have to have insurance, and anybody allowed within about 100 ft of the track has to sign a waiver that injury/death are possible. Of course, it's not in the US.....so I don't know for sure, but Rally is a much bigger sport in the rest of the world than it is here, so I'm sure there are precautions.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Dec 30 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #23

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Downunderman @ Dec 29 2009, 01:58 PM) *

Audi Group B. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vky1uh_kCf0

Perhaps why they were banned.

I think they try`d to add some weight to the Audi before they were banned and they still kicked ass ....that AWD is the chit
+Quote Post
moggy
post Jan 1 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,285

I've been involved in rallying for as long as I can remember and am presently peddling a 914 in the British Historic Championship. Here's a short clip of me in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SeD-J6JqYY

Firstly, rallying is a huge spectator sports in many countries. Quite often these countries are places where safety comes a distance second over enthusiasm for the sport and the need for the spectators to get as close to the action as possible. This is one of the very few motor sports where the spectators can get so close the the action. Spectator deaths and the fact that the Group B cars were getting too fast for the drivers to cope with was the reason why they got banned in '85/6.

This incident has been discussed in depth on rally forums. It happened right at the finish line where there was a radio car and medical assistance. The officials waved the guy to continue the 50m to the finish line. As he was doing so the officials were already on there way to the scene. It certainly wasn't as cold hearted an incident as the press made it out to be. PLEASE don't believe the press in these situations, as you all should know they are prone to over-sensationalism and one-sidedness in the aim of a good story.

On another note - It's certainly strange that rallying is not big in the US. All that space and great dirt track roads. There's a big resurgence of Historic rallying in Europe at the moment 60' and 70's car mainly. Do some searches on youtube for 'Historic Rally' or check out rally's like:

Mid Wales Stages Historics
Severn Valley Stages Historics
Manx Rally Historics
Omloop Van Vlanderen

and many more
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Jan 4 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #25

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184
Region Association: Northern California

I think moggy hit it on the head with regard to this incident. With all due respect to JP, I think a little more insight to what occurs in rally stages around the world with spectators might change your view a little. Offroad racing like the Baja 1000 also have their own issues, like spectator sabotage of the course in remote areas for thier own enjoyment. That may change your mind about the "innocent" race fans.

That being said, news clips and short anecdotal video clips never tell the whole story and unless you were there you may never know what really happened.

just my .02.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 4 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #26

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I have been "into" all types of motorsports for 50 years. No matter how you slice it, that was a "no class" move.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jan 4 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 4 2010, 03:30 PM) *

I have been "into" all types of motorsports for 50 years. No matter how you slice it, that was a "no class" move.

I agree, simply unconscionable behavior.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 4 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #28

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You're watching "TruTV" and siding with the video. It's like reading the Enquirer and marveling over the alien baby pics.

Nobody noticed the splice in the footage as he goes back out on the track? He could have been there for two hours administering mouth to mouth (or last rights) to each and every one of those idiots for all we know...

Love the closing line from the "Wrestlemania" announcer; "This rally racing menace had a one track mind..." LOL Looks like the cops were roughing him up a bit too... damn rally racing menace.

About as bogus as a story can get.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jan 5 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #29

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 4 2010, 05:19 PM) *

You're watching "TruTV" and siding with the video. It's like reading the Enquirer and marveling over the alien baby pics.

Nobody noticed the splice in the footage as he goes back out on the track? He could have been there for two hours administering mouth to mouth (or last rights) to each and every one of those idiots for all we know...

Love the closing line from the "Wrestlemania" announcer; "This rally racing menace had a one track mind..." LOL Looks like the cops were roughing him up a bit too... damn rally racing menace.

About as bogus as a story can get.

..And the fact this happened over a year and a half ago in South America makes one wonder why this is "hot" news on The Huffington Post? Little more huffing and not much post.

This post has been edited by grantsfo: Jan 5 2010, 12:49 AM
+Quote Post
moggy
post Jan 5 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 3,285

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 4 2010, 05:19 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ....and check out the over dubbing of boos over the last few scenes. More bogus than the moon landings (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Sensationalist TV, gotta laugh at it, it's the people that believe it as fact I worry about (like my Mum...) she watches programs like this and takes them as gospel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jan 5 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #31

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

...And to think this is rare occasion. LOL! Just search under rally car into crowd. Rally cars into crowds are pretty common event. In some countries people have completely differnt social and maybe religious context on these things.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer..._type=&aq=f

Is rally spectating really much different than Abrian drifting? Not in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzwp7Mf0stc...laynext_from=PL
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 6 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #32

PMB Performance

she watches programs like this and takes them as gospel

Does she know you're a "Rally Racing Menace!"?? Don't tell her, you'll scar her for life! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jan 8 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #33

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

in the USA there is a mass errosion of personal accountability fueled by successful litigation. everybody looking to blame someone else for their stupidity....and get paid for it. then enter teh bleeding hearts that simpathize with this behavior. if you pass enough laws we can protect all the idiots from their owwn choices, right?

the officials waved this guy on...but that info does not help command a premium for advertising time

in some countries some people might think they are responsable for the consequenses of their own actions...what a concept.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 8 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #34

PMB Performance

(are you sure you live in Kaliphornia?)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jan 8 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #35

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

mini Mogadishu CA
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 9 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #36

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

We have a saying in EMS. "it isn't an accident when they are stupid" It is the logical conclusion to their actions.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 22 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #37

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LswBDl17AGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz3Z9ZMLze4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGTvdsNpkUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqf_OwPaF3k
+Quote Post
Silverstreak
post Apr 3 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #38

Edmund J. Fournier #36

Member No.: 11,552
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(moggy @ Jan 1 2010, 05:42 PM) *

I've been involved in rallying for as long as I can remember and am presently peddling a 914 in the British Historic Championship. Here's a short clip of me in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SeD-J6JqYY

Firstly, rallying is a huge spectator sports in many countries. Quite often these countries are places where safety comes a distance second over enthusiasm for the sport and the need for the spectators to get as close to the action as possible. This is one of the very few motor sports where the spectators can get so close the the action. Spectator deaths and the fact that the Group B cars were getting too fast for the drivers to cope with was the reason why they got banned in '85/6.

This incident has been discussed in depth on rally forums. It happened right at the finish line where there was a radio car and medical assistance. The officials waved the guy to continue the 50m to the finish line. As he was doing so the officials were already on there way to the scene. It certainly wasn't as cold hearted an incident as the press made it out to be. PLEASE don't believe the press in these situations, as you all should know they are prone to over-sensationalism and one-sidedness in the aim of a good story.

On another note - It's certainly strange that rallying is not big in the US. All that space and great dirt track roads. There's a big resurgence of Historic rallying in Europe at the moment 60' and 70's car mainly. Do some searches on youtube for 'Historic Rally' or check out rally's like:

Mid Wales Stages Historics
Severn Valley Stages Historics
Manx Rally Historics
Omloop Van Vlanderen

and many more

Moggy,
You are my new idol! Did you build the car to rally spec on your own? I'm dying to get into rally driving here on the Gulf coast of the States. But like you said, people just aren't that into it around here. There are tons of twisty hard packred clay roads around here to slide around on. I'm going to have to pry some info out of you once I get my hands on a car. If I can't source a 914 I may go with an old BMW 3 series or 2002, but a 914 would be tops!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 05:44 PM