Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Master cylinder, Installation issues
jsaum
post Dec 28 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,809
Region Association: None

Anyone have advice on the best way to get the reservoir tubes and grommets into to the master cylinder? I couldn't get them to slip in with the grommets in the master cylinder so I tried pushing them on the metal tubes and then pressing them in neither way is working. I have every thing else in place.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Dec 28 2009, 05:09 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(jsaum @ Dec 28 2009, 02:14 AM) *

Anyone have advice on the best way to get the reservoir tubes and grommets into to the master cylinder?

search before starting work...

...I have every thing else in place.
This is your problem.

Detach the tubes from the reservoir and pull them down and out of the car.
remove the MC from the car and insert the tubes and grommets ON THE BENCH where you can get leverage from above.

Then thread the tubes back up through their holes, remount the MC, reattach the hard lines, ta da.

+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 28 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rich's way is by far the best way, but if you really want, I had success by heating a closed end wrench, bending it 90 degrees, cutting it to make a kind of crowsfoot wrench, and putting a screwdriver through the other side to make a handle. Fitting the bent end over, cut end over the grommet and tube, it should hang down below the master cylinder. You then simply hang off the handle, curse the fellow that designed this, and pray that the grommets pop into place!

Honestly, the bench assembly is much easier on your nerves!

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 28 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #4

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

There are aftermarket M/C's that I swear won't fit no matter what. If you're trying to install in one of those try re-using the ATE grommets (they don't seem to wear out) taken out of the M/C being replaced, put them in the new M/C, THEN try these tricks.
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Dec 28 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 28 2009, 05:31 AM) *

There are aftermarket M/C's that I swear won't fit no matter what. If you're trying to install in one of those try re-using the ATE grommets (they don't seem to wear out) taken out of the M/C being replaced, put them in the new M/C, THEN try these tricks.

Thanks for the tips I'll pull the lines and start over practice is always good!
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 28 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #6

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

The aftermarket one is the Euro Parts one. They do not put the washers under the grommets and the grommets are slightly different. I reused the ATE washers and grommets and they popped right in.
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Dec 29 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

I used two lockjaw pliers to pull down on the line. Probably some silicon spray on it too. It's a pain. I might try the pulling the lines from the resevoir next time.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 29 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

"Pull the lines from the reservoir"? THAT sounds like the hardest way of all. Install the grommets and the washers, lube them with brake fluid, install the m/c, and pull the tubes in with a pair of needle nose vise grips and a sturdy hook tool. Sure it's hard, but so is life. Suck it up, folks. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Dec 29 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 29 2009, 07:50 AM) *

"Pull the lines from the reservoir"? THAT sounds like the hardest way of all. Install the grommets and the washers, lube them with brake fluid, install the m/c, and pull the tubes in with a pair of needle nose vise grips and a sturdy hook tool. Sure it's hard, but so is life. Suck it up, folks. The Cap'n

I bit the bullet and took the harder route pulling the gas tank! The master cylinder is in brake system is completly rebuilt and on to the next project the fuel system! Oh what fun!
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Dec 30 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #10

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

I'll be noting this topic in a few days. I was just cleaning off my resevoir and have a new bigger MC.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Dec 30 2009, 04:32 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

Here's how I did it. Loosen the clamp that hold the reservoir to the bracket. You can now push both brake lines down with the reservoir attached. With the steering rack cover removed push the lines down about a foot or so. Now the lines are out in the open where you have leverage. With the master cylinder in your hand pop each line in, very easy because you have leverage. Then slide the lines up until the master cylinder is in place. Install master cylinder and then put reservoir in place and tighten clamp. This whole process took me about 10 minutes. More than one way to skin a cat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
etcmss
post Dec 30 2009, 06:16 AM
Post #12

etcmss

Member No.: 5,899
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I did it your first way and struggled and was successful. it wasn't fun and didn't know better at the time that there was another way.
but now you have the gas tank out for the fuel system project.
+Quote Post
greenie
post Dec 30 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,013
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jsaum @ Dec 29 2009, 11:06 AM) *

I bit the bullet and took the harder route pulling the gas tank! The master cylinder is in brake system is completly rebuilt and on to the next project the fuel system! Oh what fun!

It's about time...how long have you been working on (talking) about getting this thing on the road? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Good progress ! I'll have the "Orange One" driving before your car see's the pavement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ppeters914
post Dec 31 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,751

This thread started about reinstalling the reservoir lines, but what about removing them?

I pulled the pedal cluster to rebuild, and discovered the brake master cylinder weeping. Disconnected the 3 brake lines, but damned if I could figure out how to disconnect those two lines on top of the master cylinder. The responses on this thread aren't clear to me.

I get that you need to get slack in the reservoir lines, but you pull them all the way out? How the heck do you feed them back unless you have the gas tank out?

Pete
71 1.7L
+Quote Post
ppeters914
post Dec 31 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,751

Ack! Never mind. Found Pelican Parts tech article on upgrading the master cylinder. Apparently, the reservoir tubes are just an extremely tight press fit into grommets.
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Dec 31 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 30 2009, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(jsaum @ Dec 29 2009, 11:06 AM) *

It's about time...how long have you been working on (talking) about getting this thing on the road? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Good progress ! I'll have the "Orange One" driving before your car see's the pavement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Cool then you can lend me the green one to drive!
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Dec 31 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #17

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(ppeters914 @ Dec 31 2009, 12:21 PM) *

I get that you need to get slack in the reservoir lines, but you pull them all the way out? How the heck do you feed them back unless you have the gas tank out?

I don't remember - it was a mere 30 years ago...
But I don't recall it being difficult. I'm thinking i took the grommets (not the MC grommets, the line/body-seal grommets) out from the top and then with the stiff lines it was a pretty straight shot up from the bottom.

The lines are not quite 'just' a press-fit into the grommet. There is a flare at the base of the metal tube. So you pretty much have to pop the grommets out first and press them in last.

John's method is much easier if the car is on a proper lift and you have room to use your arms and body weight to assist. If the car is on jackstands and you're lucky to be able to just get your arms bent, it's _really_ hard to manage with just the strength in your fingers. Especially if you don't do this kind of thing every day.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 06:37 PM