Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help me find a 914, wtb a 2.0 914
want2buya914also
post Jan 6 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #1

I'm new here ...

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,204
Region Association: None

This will be my first 914. Please, if anyone knows of any good ones that dont cost more than $7K let me know. Im looking for a 2.0 engine and am more concerned about how it runs than how it looks. I can fix the exterior, but really want one ready to drive now and fix it as it breaks as opposed to having to fix it before I can drive it. If anyone has any suggestions or offers, please let me know and email me at joshbsilvey@yahoo.com
Thx for the help, cant wait til I get one
josh
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 6 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Keep searching the classifieds on this site and you should find something.

Remember that you are always better off to spend more money on the front and get the best car you can afford. Be prepared to travel, and walk away from a car that doesn't pass your inspection.

Main thing for these cars is rust and accident history. You don't want a Frankenstein 914.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jan 6 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #3

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Also, see if you can find someone who knows these cars well to look your potential purchase over carefully for you.
There are a lot of people who would have been better off if they had asked for someone to help do a pre-purchase inspection, including me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
want2buya914also
post Jan 6 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #4

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 11,204

Thx for the advice. Depending on where I find one, I may have to have it shipped to me. I was thinking that before I pay for a 914, I would pay for it to be inspected thoroughly at a local Porsche dealer. Sound like a good idea or will they just charge me a ton of money to look and say, "yep, no oil leak here?"
Keep that advice coming!!! And if anyone has one to sell, let me know!!
thx,
josh
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jan 6 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #5

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(want2buya914also @ Jan 6 2010, 03:26 PM) *

Thx for the advice. Depending on where I find one, I may have to have it shipped to me. I was thinking that before I pay for a 914, I would pay for it to be inspected thoroughly at a local Porsche dealer. Sound like a good idea or will they just charge me a ton of money to look and say, "yep, no oil leak here?"
thx,
josh

Probably the latter. Although I wasn't charged a ton of money, mostly they gave me compression and leak down #s on the engine and pointed out obvious things like: needs new wiper blades. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
My guess is most shops aren't going to take the time to really see if there are any not-so-obvious rust issues. It's easy to point out visible rust in the trunk or bubbling paint, but the real possible trouble spots take a little bit more time to thuroughly check.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 6 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 6 2010, 05:20 PM) *

QUOTE(want2buya914also @ Jan 6 2010, 03:26 PM) *

thx,
josh

Probably the latter. Although I wasn't charged a ton of money, mostly they gave me compression and leak down #s on the engine and pointed out obvious things like: needs new wiper blades. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
My guess is most shops aren't going to take the time to really see if there are any not-so-obvious rust issues. It's easy to point out visible rust in the trunk or bubbling paint, but the real possible trouble spots take a little bit more time to thuroughly check.

You should also check other classifieds like Craigslist, Pelican, and 914 club.
You will probably have the most luck finds a minimal rust car in the southwest. Shipping will cost $600-$1000. Now is a good time to buy as prices are low.
I am in Southern CA and if you find one in the LA or San Diego area I could check it out for you. There are also many other SoCal owners who know what to look for in a 914.
Bruce

+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 8 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

A word of caution. Most current Porsche dealers DO NOT have anyone that knows a thing about these cars much less about the parts. Call George at AutoAtlanta, he is in your area and very helpful.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 8 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 8 2010, 02:20 PM) *

Most current Porsche dealers DO NOT have anyone that knows a thing about these cars much less about the parts.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Barry Brisco
post Jan 8 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,905

You could certainly call George at Auto Atlanta or you could look on his website to see his list of 914s for sale at http://www.autoatlanta.com/carsales/porsch...ale.php?car=914

Note that you can sort the list of cars shown on that page by clicking the word "Price" at the top of the price column. For reasons which are mysterious to me, clicking that sorts the cars in ascending order so that the "Sold" cars are listed first. Click again to see them in descending order.

Also check ebay, craigslist, thesamba.com and 914club.com (though in most cases anything listed there is also listed here).

Good luck.

Barry

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 8 2010, 03:20 PM) *

A word of caution. Most current Porsche dealers DO NOT have anyone that knows a thing about these cars much less about the parts. Call George at AutoAtlanta, he is in your area and very helpful.

+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 14 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #10

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Josh,

I have a 73 2.0 that I'm looking to sell. It needs some work but can be used as a daily driver. I also have a ton of parts (2.0 engine, tranny, seats, console, gauges, etc. etc. etc) that came of a parts car that go with it. Also have many new parts that the previous owner didn't install. I'm making a list of the parts now. I'm in Tampa and I have a trailer so we could work out delivery too. PM me for more details. Most of the work I've done on the car I've shown here in progress threads. So you can look at it if you want to.

Paul

+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 20 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #11

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

And Paul knows his stuff rust. Take him up on his offer.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jan 20 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

Your best bet may be to search California craigslist day and night. You will find a nice car that way, and forthe most part it will be very dry and rust free. I found mine that way and bought it sight unseen, (and was very lucky with the car I got) but that was before I knew about this site. If you find one have a club member in that area go check it out for you. Good luck!
+Quote Post
pfierb
post Jan 21 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #13

oldest member

From: The sign of good government in Connecticut is to keep raising taxes
Member No.: 4,008

Hi, I have a 73 2.0 in very good condition, runs great, Zambezi Green. It is in Connecticut. let me know if you or anyone else is interested.Car has always been serviced by one of our 914 gurus.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 03:13 PM