Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Was your 914 totalled by an insurance co.?, If you bought it back, for how much?
rjames
post Jan 7 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thankfully I'm not asking this question because anything happened to my car. The question came up because my wife's Ford Taurus was hit a while back. The insurance companay totalled it and we had the option to buy it back for the 'estimated auction price', which turned out to only be $60. A no brainer since all I had to do to get it back on the road was pull a small dent out of the rear fender and prime/paint the area.

So it got me wondering how much it would have cost to buy back a 914 that had been deemed 'totalled' by an insurance company.

Anyone interested in sharing what it cost you if you've been unfortunate enough to have to go through this?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 7 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

When my 71 was totaled, the insurance co wanted $1000 for me to buy it back. This may seem high but then again they gave me $7800 for a totaled 71 1.7L rust bucket and I wasn't about to complain about paying $1K to get it back.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
rmital
post Jan 7 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #3

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

1973 1.7L totaled while getting painted...yeah, really
paint shop insurance company paid out $9,500
I bought back for $300

...happy ending, but it did take a few years off my life... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jan 7 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #4

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

the problem (if you consider it a problem) is when you buy it back it becomes a "salvaged title" that lowers resale. in ca. anyway it requires a lamp and brake cert. to put on the street.
+Quote Post
Chris Hamilton
post Jan 7 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,687

I had to claw and fight to keep my title, but they tried to say my '70 with 64k original miles, brand new custom motor and tranny, with 40mm carbs, rollbar, racing seats, alloys, etc were totaled for like $4k and the buyback would have been $700.

Something that caught my eye: The cost breakdown from Allstate showed that my perfectly balanced, blueprinted, shuffle pinned, rabbit rods 2.0 with forged pistons, chromoly pushrods, electronic ignition, custom heads and dellorto carbs added $50 to the value (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
number6
post Jan 8 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,546
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I had a clean '75 1.8 totaled back in early 2003. Insurance paid $5500, in addition to covering all expenses, including towing and rental for several weeks. Buying the car back cost $400, which was a no-brainer, since I was only lightly rear-ended. Impact on resale value was negligible because everything was well documented, with plenty of supporting photos. In hindsight, I wish I had known (how) to fight to keep the title clean, if for no other reason than to keep the branding off an otherwise super solid car, which will no doubt be on the road for many more decades. I adored that car and felt I let it down. Live and learn.
+Quote Post
johnnie5
post Jan 8 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #7

914 lover

Member No.: 9,644
Region Association: Southern California

I had a very nice '75 in the late '80's that a girl rear ended. I was waiting at a red light and she was going about 45 applying her lipstick in her rear view mirror. She was in a 3 week old Jetta. Both cars were a total loss, along with my back. The cops had no problem figuring out the cause when they arrived, I guess the red lipstick line all the way up this girls face kinda gave it away. Her insurance company paid me $4K for my car, less $300 to keep it and part it out. Dumb bitch.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jan 8 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #8

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

Back in 1990 my 68,000 mile near mint creamsicle was slightly dented and totaled. I bought it for 2400.00 and when wrecked 3 days later the insurance company gave me right at 6000.00 then charged me 400.00 to get it back with a clear title.

Donald

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Jan 8 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

500.00 to buy back, in 1986.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jan 8 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #10

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 7 2010, 10:48 PM) *

Attached Image
the insurance company gave me right at 6000.00 then charged me 400.00 to get it back with a clear title.

ouch, a little windex and soft rag... it'll wipe off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

how did they give you a clean title???
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jan 8 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #11

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jan 8 2010, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 7 2010, 10:48 PM) *

Attached Image
the insurance company gave me right at 6000.00 then charged me 400.00 to get it back with a clear title.

ouch, a little windex and soft rag... it'll wipe off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

how did they give you a clean title???

I Guess that is just how they do it in Tennessee. A few months ago my daughter drowned my Honda Accord and insurance company totaled it. They deducted 400.00 from my settlement check and I retained the car with current title.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 9 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #12

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(number6 @ Jan 7 2010, 11:05 PM) *
I had a clean '75 1.8 totaled back in early 2003. Insurance paid $5500, in addition to covering all expenses, including towing and rental for several weeks. Buying the car back cost $400, which was a no-brainer, since I was only lightly rear-ended. Impact on resale value was negligible because everything was well documented, with plenty of supporting photos. In hindsight, I wish I had known (how) to fight to keep the title clean, if for no other reason than to keep the branding off an otherwise super solid car, which will no doubt be on the road for many more decades. I adored that car and felt I let it down. Live and learn.

I'm pretty sure that at least in Colorado, if you can prove the car has been repaired you can clear the "salvage" label form your title. You might want to check into that.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jan 9 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

71 914, totalled 1993. Ins paid 5900, bought it back for $500.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jan 9 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

In Ca, it's up to the insurance co. to report the salvage to the DMV. I've bought 4 totals from insurance companies (not Porsches) and only 2 of them had salvage titles. I got lucky on one, I begged the adjuster on the other one.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 9 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #15

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Back in the early to mid 80’s in California you did not get salvage titles you got your car-totaled. Pinks slips came backs clear. This was a problem and people needed to look at cars to make sure that a used 911 was not made up of 2 cars. I do not remember when the law changed to salvage only. I bought my 1st. 914 in 1978 – It was a 1974. It was from a salvage yard. Someone put it into a curb and twisted the trailing arm and well I got it will a new trailing arm and the engine and trans. was out of the car. With pink.

Bob
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 02:51 PM