Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driving/Race School Suggestions?, After 11 years, I'm being forced....
D1A3
post Jan 7 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #1

Gruppe Neun Vierzehn Südosten

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,152
Region Association: South East States

Hi Folks,

After 11 years, my company has notified me I have to take a minimum 4 week PAID sabbatical (can extend it up to 10 weeks with stored vacation I have) by the end of the year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Among things like going places I've never been and spending some quality time with the family, I'm interested in taking a driving program at one of the driving/race schools and getting some quality time to not only become a better driver, but also go REAL fast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Any suggestions? I'm open to most anything so long as it is somewhere in the US. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Thanks for your opinions!

Regards,
Jason

PS: Any other once in a lifetime things you wish you could do (with or without family) are appreciated too. I've got to start planning now!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Jan 7 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

A good friend of mine did a school in Vegas, went 144MPH in some little formula looking car. He had a blast, and it was in Vegas baby !

If your gonna do it, go somewhere you can do the tourist thing at the same time !
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 7 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

I work for Skip Barber, We offer Schools at Tracks all over the Country, including Road Atlanta. You can do a school in a Formula Car or a Mazda MX-5 Miata.

T.C.
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Jan 7 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

Simple choice ... Nürburgring!

There are a few US clubs that offer a day or two school there!

Take a vacation ... take your wife/famliy to Europe. Take a brake from the vacation and let them go sightseeing/shopping while you go to "school". Chance of a lifetime!

After 15 years at my last job, I got a cheap watch! I quit and now have my own Accounting and Tax Preparation practice.

Enjoy your life ... it's the only one you get!

Cheers

Eddie
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Jan 7 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,961

For close you have Barber in B'ham AL...but if you decide to do the ring I have a German friend (914-6 guy) although currently doing BMW who could help you ...his English is pretty good so he could help. Make sure you plan for nice German weather......June or later. Good luck TOT
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jan 7 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

Many clubs offer instruction for free in your car. The POC, for instance, the LA based Porsche Owner's Club has STS events that allow you Sat. & Sun. on the track with an instructor in your car all day both days if you want it and 1/2 day of classroom on Sat for just over $250.00. You need a car, (rental?) a helmet, ($10.00 rental from the track) a long sleeved cotton shirt and some jeans and shoes that won't burn much.
I once heard a story about a guy who competed in the SCCA solo showroom stock competitions all around the country in rental cars. He would ship his wheels with sticky tires to the track, fly in, rent a Mustang 5.0 GT, go to the track and change wheels & brake pads, dump the antifreeze, race it all weekend and return it on Monday. It was like $75.00 a weekend for the Mustang at that time, cheaper than owning one.
I cannot verify this story at all. Don't call me out, I got nothing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jan 7 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #7

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I went to an SCCA school in Colorado at Second Creek Raceway. It was a blast, 8 days of instruction and 2 races. It was taught by Danny Collins. He was a great guy. I just looked it up. Danny passed away a few days after the track was closed down . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Go for the week long stuff. The weekend deals just aren't as much fun. Your too busy rushing to enjoy yourself and let the experience soak in.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 7 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Russell Racing school at Sears Point (now Infineon Raceway) in Sonoma CA. In the middle of wine country, great for post-school activities and play-time for your spouse/SO. Great little formula cars, tons of fun!

Barber runs a school at Laguna Seca/Mazda Raceway. Less stuff around for post-school/SO stuff, but another great track to play on.

--DD
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 8 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

sorry for the hijack...

Danny Collins was a great man!
there is a corner named after him at the new colorado race track

hijack over...

b
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Jan 8 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 7 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Russell Racing school at Sears Point (now Infineon Raceway) in Sonoma CA. In the middle of wine country, great for post-school activities and play-time for your spouse/SO. Great little formula cars, tons of fun!

Barber runs a school at Laguna Seca/Mazda Raceway. Less stuff around for post-school/SO stuff, but another great track to play on.

--DD

LESS STUFF TO DO IN THE MONTEREY AREA?? You just don't know where to go....IMHO Laguna is a better track and there are few more picturesque areas in the country, plenty of good food and wine, shopping, golf.....what the hell is better in Napa....or Sonoma? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
stuttgart46
post Jan 8 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,474

Laguna Seca is incredible. I did some lapping days there with Skip Barber last year and it was great. I haven't raced on a lot of tracks with elevation so it was a big change.
The area around Laguna Seca is really cool. Lots of good places to eat, etc.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jan 8 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,209

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Car914 suggested SKIP BARBER driving school. I agree that this would be an excellant choise.I know they have been around a long time. I never met anyone who was dissatified with their driving school, and in fact were happy(elated) with the experience. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) murray
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 8 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #13

914 Idiot

QUOTE(jimtab @ Jan 7 2010, 11:54 PM) *

LESS STUFF TO DO IN THE MONTEREY AREA??

Heh. I was thinking of the area immediately around the track, and completely spaced on everything nearby! D'OH!

Both Sears Point and Laguna Seca are fantastic tracks. Both have excellent schools (Russell up at Sears, Barber at Seca), and both are in really good areas. Either would be a great choice. I would suggest not going in the middle of the "winter", unless you like driving in the rain, and not in the middle of the summer unless you like dehydration.

--DD
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 8 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #14

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

As I said I work for Skip Barber, but I work in the Race Series division. I know there used to be a discount if you were somewhat flexible (ie Last Minute deal) If they had cancellations, you could get in cheaper in order to fill out the class. This would be ideal for you & Road Atlanta

T.C.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #15

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 7 2010, 03:47 PM) *

A good friend of mine did a school in Vegas, went 144MPH in some little formula looking car. He had a blast, and it was in Vegas baby !

If your gonna do it, go somewhere you can do the tourist thing at the same time !

That was called CART 101 when I worked for them. Now it is called the Mario Andretti School. It is a thrill ride experience, not a real school.

That's not to say Vegas dosen't have and good options. Spring Mountain Motorsports is an awesome facility. The Louts school is great.

If you have your own track worthy car, a SCCA or VARA school would be your best choice to learn the most.

You can not go wrong with a Skip Barber or Bondurant school. I would strongly suggest a 2 day school at any program you choose. One day is not enough. You need more time to digest and practice all the new info. After the second day you will be totally exhausted, mentally and physically. Three days is to much.

Another activity to consider for your bucket list is white water rafting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I give it a solid 10 on the smile meter, plus it is a family friendly activity.
+Quote Post
D1A3
post Jan 9 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #16

Gruppe Neun Vierzehn Südosten

Member No.: 2,152

OK, so here is what I'm thinking...

What about doing the Porsche Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham? Has anyone done that?

Or, I could do Skip Barber at Road Atlanta...

If I did Skip Barber, what should I do the two day High Performance Driving school or the three day Formula school? Both look like a lot of fun and would teach a lot.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far!

Regards,
Jason
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 10 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #17

Racer from Birth

I don't personally know anyone that has done the Porsche School in Alabama, but from what I've read, it sounds good.

If you go the Skip Barber route, do the 3 day. I think it is now offered both in the Formula cars and the Miatas.

T.C.
+Quote Post
914four
post Jan 10 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 7,582

QUOTE(D1A3 @ Jan 9 2010, 08:43 PM) *

OK, so here is what I'm thinking...

What about doing the Porsche Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham? Has anyone done that?

Regards,
Jason

The Porsche Driving School at Barber Mortorsports is certainly on my bucket list. I have talked with some of the folks who work there and it sounds great. I have also talked with someone who has done a class at Barber and he said it was well worth the money and plans to do another one.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 10 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #19

914 Idiot

Lisa and I have both done the three-day formula car class at Russell up at Sears Point. It was an absolute blast. Exhausting, yes, but well worth it.

--DD
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Jan 10 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,061

Jason, I have a neighbor who's son is an instructer at the Porsche school at Barber. I see him from time to time on our street as he visits his Mom. I also know someone who has just completed that school. I'll call him Monday. You can always attend a DE at PCA Road Atlanta but you have to supply your own car.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 09:53 PM