Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need some help choosing Dual carbs, Switching over to carbs.
weird_looking_cactus
post Mar 22 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Cactus

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,660

I know for sure that Im going to stick dual carbs on my 1975 2.0 But the mechanic said its going to cost $500-$600 for the carbs he hasn't looked yet to see what he can get. I asked if they were weber carbs and he said those are going to cost alot more. Im thinking about getting some carbs online myself and just pay for the labor to get them put on. That will probley be cheaper. But Im not sure of any good places. Im looking for some good carbs that arn't going to be over kill but will make my porsche run really good.
Im asking for help with the carbs and I have made my mind up that Im not sticking with fuel injection so please don't tell me how good fual injection is and how I should not go with carbs. Thanks to all those who help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Mar 22 2004, 04:17 PM
Post #2

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Stick with the fuel injection (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif). I know nothing about carbs, but ebay is always a good place to check. At least you'll get an idea of prices. You could sell you fuel injection to fund the carbs, as well. I know you've been having a hell of a time with the injection, but IMHO, once you get it sorted it will be better than carbs.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 22 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Mar 22 2004, 02:09 PM)
so please don't tell me how good fual injection is and how I should not go with carbs.

dude, stick with the FI ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 22 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #4

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Mar 22 2004, 02:09 PM)
... the mechanic said its going to cost $500-$600 for the carbs he hasn't looked yet to see what he can get. I asked if they were weber carbs and he said those are going to cost alot more...

so he knows it'll be $500 but he doesn't know for what.
but he knows Webers will be "a lot" more, but he doesn't know what he's getting for $500.

RUN AWAY ! (he's clueless...)

did that "$500-$600" include a new fuel pump ?

i ran 40mm Dellortos on my 1,7; ran fine. i have no idea if they're still available, or at what cost, or where to find manifolds and linkage. i got mine over the counter at Small Car in Anaheim. I know they're still in business but i have no idea what parts they sell nowadays - if they even sell aircooled parts. "CB Performance" still sells aircooled parts AFAIK.

installing a set of carburetors is not rocket science (the linkage requires a bit of thought) and i think this mechanic person sees you as an easy mark.

you've proven remarkably resistent to good advice, so i have no idea how or if you'll act on this ...
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 22 2004, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Dual Weber 40 IDFs are the best setup for NEW carbs. Kits start at $500, not including hose, a fuel pressure regulator, and a fuel pump. The $600 CB Performance kit is supposed to have the best linkage (I have this linkage, and like it). You can find a set used on Ebay for $300-400, but they'll also require a rebuild kit ($40 per carb, assuming you do the rebuild yourself). The $700 kit from Aircooled.net is supposed to have the best jetting setup out of the box and the best after sale support.

You cannot use the stock EFI fuel pump, you'll have to replace it with a lower volume pump suitable for carbs (Webers need no more than 3 psi of fuel pressure, the EFI setup generates 30 psi or more) and a fuel pressure regulator suitable for carbs. A Facet pump can be had for $50-75. On the '75, the fuel pump is in a well in front of the passenger's feet, which is the ideal place to put the carb pump.

If your mechanic was talking something cheaper than Webers, I'd be very wary. Not all VW engines are the same, and there are a lot of relatively inexpensive setups for the Type I and Type II engines that don't work on the Type IV. The manifolds required are completely different. The dual IDF setup is by far the most common on the 914, so you'll have little trouble finding people who can help you diagnose them and provide parts.

Save all of your fuel injection parts, and be careful removing them. You can sell it for a good amount of money ($200-300).
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Mar 22 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

If you have to go carbed I have a set of dual single solexes with type 4 intakes.
electric chokes too for those cold mornings(but not in St. George).
Freshly rebuilt. same as the euro carbbed types AFAIK
Linkage is a bit incomplete but CB performance can set you up with a good set.
I was gonna throw them on Ebay but Ill let you have them for 75.00 since your a member and all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
But keep in mind these wont yield as much power as the dual, dual webers but are a far stretch better than the pinto type weber single time bombs.
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Mar 22 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

or these ones on ebay...

ebay carbs

BTW I dont have the air cleaners
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 22 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #8

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Unless a 914 engine has been rebuilt WITH a carb friendly cam, carb(s) in a 914 is a sign that the mechanic and/or owner don't know DICK about L-Jet or D-Jet fuel injection.

If you WANT carbs get a motor that is done right and will respond to the carbs....gee, isn't there someone selling a complete motor on this list? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Adding carbs to a stock motor is NOT a performance upgrade. If you have a budget for 500 bucks worth of carbs...spend it on fixing the FI....find a wrench that CAN do it or learn to fix it yourself....

OR come up with 4,000 more and get my complete motor.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Mar 22 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

ebay carbs

Attached File(s)
Attached File  carbs_1111 ( 68.75k ) Number of downloads: 0
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Mar 22 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #10

Cactus

Im wondering how well will something like this work and is the price good they say there for the 914

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33550

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33550
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Mar 22 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #11

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

i'm gonna give you some really horrible advice here:

if you really are in over your head with the FI (which you could probably figure out in a week or two with a $30 multimeter and some serious effort, but that's another story...) AND don't want to spend the money on a knowledgable porsche mechanic to set up your D-jet (which would probably cost $200-$600 in labor):

then just buy a crappy single ("solex"?) carb on ebay and pay the VW mechanic to install it. your car won't run great, but hell -- at least it will run. then, in the meanwhile, you can figure out all your Djet stuff on your own, and replace it on your own. you can consider it a performance upgrade (which it surely will be).

again, this is probably BAD advice -- with only a little extra effort right now you can probably get the Djet working (and for roughly the same amount -- or less -- of money as carbs), but i just want to hear that you're driving your car.

btw: the twin solex carbs on ebay (mentioned above) might work well for your mechanic
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 22 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #12

Not another one!

You don't *need* a "carb-friendly cam" to make the Webers work. It won't be any more powerful than a working D-Jet system, but it will be a lot more powerful than a non-working D-Jet system, which is what the original poster has now.

I'll grant that it would be much cheaper and really probably much easier to just fix the D-Jet, assuming our original poster had the time and patience to do it. Clearly, patience is at an end here, and if he wants to fit carbs, OK. Fit them. The car will run and be drivable, which is an improvement over not being drivable.

He's clearly more willing to listen to the local mechanic than people on this board (at least for now), which is only natural. You have to let 16 year olds make mistakes, cause they're going to make them no matter what you do. <_<
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Mar 22 2004, 05:10 PM
Post #13

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Mar 22 2004, 03:04 PM)
Im wondering how well will something like this work and is the price good they say there for the 914

those are 48's and 34's

get 40's or 44's
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 22 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #14

Not another one!

No, you don't want 48 IDFs. Way too big for a stock engine. The manifolds pictured are also not correct for the 914.
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Mar 22 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #15

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 22 2004, 02:35 PM)
Adding carbs to a stock motor is NOT a performance upgrade. If you have a budget for 500 bucks worth of carbs...spend it on fixing the FI....find a wrench that CAN do it or learn to fix it yourself....

I think MikeZ said it best. Put the money into your injection. Plus, the car will be worth more, in my opinion, if it comes time to sell.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Mar 22 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Before you spend a ton of money on the car you might want to have someone who knows something about 914s come and check the rest of the car out for rust and other major issues.

I think I am getting very pessimistic after reading so many posts on these BBSs, but it seems like more first time owners get screwed with 914s than most other cars. There are just so many f-d up 914s out there, it's not even funny.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 22 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #17

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Mar 22 2004, 03:11 PM)
No, you don't want 48 IDFs. Way too big for a stock engine. The manifolds pictured are also not correct for the 914.

dito, those (manifolds) ain't going to fit ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Mar 22 2004, 05:27 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162

Do they sell manifolds for 3 bolt heads?

Seems like most of the stuff would be 4 bolt (VW bus etc.)

Carb newbie here, don't you guys even get started on me until you know the big picture. Sheesh. You'd think d-jet was a cure for cancer around here.
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Mar 22 2004, 05:27 PM
Post #19

Cactus

I have check the car there is a little rust by the battery tray and I have a hole under the passanger side seat which Im going to fix soon. The thing is the car was sitting out side for along time with no rain tray so now every wire I touch it seems to break off or fall apart. If I was going to stay with fuel inection I would want a brand new system computer and all the wires that way I can start fresh if anyone can find something like then I would consider staying with it.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 22 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #20

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

Use this BBS as a resource to fix the djet. You will be way ahead....

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:26 PM