Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need some help choosing Dual carbs, Switching over to carbs.
nebreitling
post Mar 22 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #21

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Mar 22 2004, 03:20 PM)
Before you spend a ton of money on the car you might want to have someone who knows something about 914s come and check the rest of the car out for rust and other major issues.

well, this is the sobering truth, isn't it?

just remember that $5-600 isn't going to be the end of it, mr. cactus. you have a car that hasn't (really) run in who knows how long. aside from the hole under the seat, who knows what other problems exist?

if you are looking for instant gratification with this thing, you will be disappointed. if you are looking for a car that you can learn a tremendous amount on, put all of your extra time and money into, and have a little fun in the process, you will be rewarded. it will take a lot of patience, blah, blah, i better stop before i sound like someone's father...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Mar 22 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #22

Cactus

Member No.: 1,660

Here is some 44 I email the guy he said the pictures are not the actual ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33550

That look like a good price.
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Mar 22 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #23

Cactus

Well I can get the car to run buy pouring fuel right into the throttle body and its sounds really good.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 22 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Mar 22 2004, 03:36 PM)
Well I can get the car to run buy pouring fuel right into the throttle body and its sounds really good.

well, that's good news!

so now every wire I touch it seems to break off or fall apart

i say,
throw away your old FI engine harness and PM brad and buy a used FI engine harness from him.

but, i'm biased towards FI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Andy
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Mar 22 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #25

Cactus

How much will a new fl injection system cost compared to carbs
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 22 2004, 05:54 PM
Post #26

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

It was written.....

You don't *need* a "carb-friendly cam" to make the Webers work. It won't be any more powerful than a working D-Jet system, but it will be a lot more powerful than a non-working D-Jet system, which is what the original poster has now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I never said you need a carb friendly cam to run carbs....carbs WILL run on a stock motor...it's just a NOT a performance upgrade....you get lousy mileage, usually the motor runs rich or lean and generally pisses off the motor or worse yet makes it drop a seat or burn a piston if you run too lean for too long.

A stock motor is just that...STOCK, the design gave what it could. Any motor, foreign or domestic has the same problem when introducing a different intake system....ALL components need to be changed for it too work right and have an increase in HP as well....

There's no free lunch.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 22 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #27

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

bowlsby, on this very board (see the suppliers page) can set you up with a better than new fuel injection wiring harness. I VERY strongly doubt your ECU has any problems at all. For D-Jet, it's such a simple device that there's just not much to go wrong in there. The wiring harnesses DO age and can develop problems, but the replacement harness will take care of that.

Note that if you do have electrical problems (you also need to see if the relay board is any good), then just adding carbs won't fix everything, and may still not get the car going.

What you've bought is a mystery project car, and you're going to need to educate yourself significantly to get it going. This is fine, as you're hardly in a position to need the car, and you have lots of time to work it out. Consider it an opportunity.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 22 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #28

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Mar 22 2004, 03:53 PM)
How much will a new fl injection system cost compared to carbs

i'm sure you can get everything you need from brad for less than the costs of new carbs.

call HPH and ask for him. make sure you mention the 914club.
heck, it might even help to mention my name (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

HPH, High Performance House

explain the situation. send him your stuff as a core. he'll work something out.
Andy
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 22 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #29

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Here's two pages to learn about djet:

http://www.rennlist.org/techarticles/djetronicfuel.htm

and

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/

So here's what I'd do before I spend $1K buying and getting carbs installed and tuned:

Read the troubleshooting sections on those web pages (especially Brad Ander's page) and go through each FI component and test. This will take you maybe a Saturday afternoon. To test fuel pressure you need a $40 gauge from the parts store and to test the MPS properly you need a $30 vacuum gauge. The fuel pressure is probably ok though and if you can verify that fuel is reaching the injectors then the problem probably isn't fuel pressure related. You can do a quicky test on the MPS by sucking on it and seeing if there's any vacuum. But even with a bad MPS the car should probably run.

After you start testing you can post any questions here and you'll probably get fast answers. Your problem after all may not be with the fuel injection but with maybe the fuel delivery system.

But before you start check specific fuel injection components I think you have many other things to check.

Is the fuel pump working? Does it "buzz" when you turn the key?

Is fuel squirting out of the injectors?

Is the tank clogged?

When was the last time the filter and fuel lines were changed?

Do you have spark?

Is the timing set correctly?

It seems like spending a couple weekend afternoons diagnosing your car could potentially save you about a grand.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 22 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

I VERY strongly doubt your ECU has any problems at all

Don't rule that out! I spend a butt load of time, aggrivation, and money trying to sort out mine when that was the problem. Very easy to swap out. Probally not a bad place to start.

If you found a local 914 person, you could spend an afternoon swapping your parts into his to test them.
A friend did that with me and it helped diagnoses the bad ecu.
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Mar 22 2004, 06:34 PM
Post #31

Cactus

Does anyone here not drive a 914 with carbs. All I have seen is fuel injection people and really havn't got a real good opinion why I should not switch to carbs. Someone with dual carbs give me your opinion.
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Mar 22 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

My carbs had problems and seemed like they were constantly out of tune.

I also had a bit of trouble moving from SLC to Corpus because of the alt change.

But they sounded real good and the power felt good.

But it was better than nuthin I guess.

BTW my car has been out of commission for ~4 months due to rust
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 22 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #33

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Does anyone here not drive a 914 with carbs. All I have seen is fuel injection people and really havn't got a real good opinion why I should not switch to carbs. Someone with dual carbs give me your opinion.

Most of us, aren't "fuel injection people". We are motorheads - car people. The 914 came with fuel injection so it's what most people have.

It sounds like you have a mental block about working on the car's fuel system. We are just trying to save a $1000 bill from your mechanic for a carb conversion. If your tank is clogged, going to carbs isn't going to help. Do some basic troubleshooting before you throw in the towel.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 22 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #34

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Mar 22 2004, 04:34 PM)

i did, a couple of pages ago, remember ?

go here: CB Performance Carburetor page

and check this out:

Part Number 6410 Dual 40 IDF Kit for 914 Porsche $609.95

these people KNOW what they are talking about.
you will also need a fuel pump; you CANNOT use the FI pump, even with any kind of regulator. at best, it'll run like cr&p; at worst, it'll run like cr&p until it bursts into flame and burns to the ground.

with bits and pieces and odds and ends you should be out the door for $750 or less.

obviously, we don't know the situation in St George for local, Porsche-oriented mechanics. in a more 914-oriented part of the world there'd be a qualified shop you could use to get your car together for less than that, but we'll assume that's not an option.

YOU must do the legwork. we can HELP but YOU must do the work...
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 22 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Thought I just seen a recent add for a FI setup. Check the classifieds here. If your FI pump is bad, I have one that is a year old. Works perfect, I'll give you a good price on it if you need it and decide to stay with FI.
Maybe post what you have done so far in this thread. Im sure the technically savy FI guru's here would be happy to offer some advice. I considered myself a total noob too. But, since the time I purchased my 1st 914 in 98, until present, I have to say I learned a fair amount from the good people here in the club. Be persistant and try to do the work yourself!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 22 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #36

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I had dual Dells when I got my car in 95. Ran great at full throttle and got maybe 12 mpg. Startup sucked, had to sit there and warm the car up so it wouldn't pop and spit while trying to go. I fought those damn things for 2 years.
I located a complete used 2.0 w/FI and installed it. I took me six months to figure out the FI as then there wasn't the internet info on how to repair it.
I then had the motor rebuilt to a 2056cc motor and tuned the FI to run great.
Even if its cold the motor starts right up witha twist of the key and idles.
I can drive away and no spitting, poping nor that loud sucking noise of the dualcarbs in your ears.

Sounds like the fuel pump isn't working to me. Take out an injector and stick it in jar, turn the key to see if it sprays fuel. UNDO THE POWER to the coil so there is no spark!

Report back to the BBS

Geoff
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 22 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #37

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

I also have dual carbs (40 IDFs), and put them on because the PO had removed the D-Jet, replaced it with a crappy single carb, and lost some parts to the D-Jet. Fitting a set of carbs got me running in a week, where hunting down the lost bits to the D-Jet and getting that working would have easily stretched into 2-3 weeks. The carbs have required a good bit of fiddling post install, and yes, cold starts are a hassle. Cold, btw, means engine cold, not cold outside. 60dF is cold enough to require some effort to get them to start (2-3 tries, and you have to let it warm up some before moving). I only get about 22mpg, and I'm sure I'd get more with D-Jet.

I am going to switch to EFI ASAP, but have two project cars going and a full time job. The carbs are simply a stop-gap because I could afford to spend the money, but not the time. If you're like most 16 year olds, you have more time than money to blow, so fixing the D-Jet is a better way to go.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 22 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #38

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

With all the help on this BBS it should be pretty easy to toubleshoot. We had 16yr old Andrew up and running last year!

geoff
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Mar 22 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #39

Cactus

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Mar 22 2004, 05:44 PM)
If you're like most 16 year olds, you have more time than money to blow,

I wish I was like that but the whole reason I wen't out got a job was to so I could buy my 914 and Im making a whole alot of money then I though I would ever have. With school I have no time at all to go blow my money and let alone to really work on my porsche or do anything.They work me 4-5 days a week. I have about 2-3 days after school to work on it. It dosn't help that it gets dark early ether. Untell they hire another busses once it really starts to pick up again probley in about 2 months is when I will get more days off sence they will hire again .Untell then I just want to drive my porsch around. I mean if I did go with carbs then my dad could really help me with my car sence he grew on working on cars with carbs the guy seem to know what he was talking about he said he had done it to a few 914 and he even showed me the ones he did on his super bettle but Im going to find out more tomarrow once he takes a look under the hood.
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Mar 22 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #40

Cactus

Ok here is another set of Dual Weber 44 IDF kit. Would this include everything I need to stick them on and make it run besides the top plate that might need to be replaced. Thanks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2468125821
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 11:43 AM