Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru Transmission into 914, DAMN that turned out good!!
post Oct 21 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

simply WOW!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Oct 21 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Fantastic. Very impressive indeed.
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Nov 4 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #63

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Where did you get the red bushings?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i255.photobucket.com-2618-1269179837.12.jpg)

-Britain
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Nov 30 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #64

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Has anyone considered fabricating & selling the cradle mounts to run the wrx motor & trans in the 914?

I am going to do this conversion, but I do not have the skills/equipment to tackle the cradle.

Maybe someone already does this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Any hints from you master fabricators out there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Nov 30 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

I have built two already and could build you another if need be. I know I need to build at least one more. Mine have been built for the FWD Legacy gear boxes, so the WRX will require a little different arrangement. I don't have one of those on hand.
+Quote Post
d914
post Dec 1 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

you could look at mine
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Dec 1 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #67

Meat Popsicle

QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 30 2010, 09:01 PM) *

I have built two already and could build you another if need be. I know I need to build at least one more. Mine have been built for the FWD Legacy gear boxes, so the WRX will require a little different arrangement. I don't have one of those on hand.

I guess step one is acquire the engine & trans package, then find a fabricator here on the forum or locally to fabricate one.

It would be quite easy for one of the folks running WRX engine/trans packages, to make a drawing with dimensions for others attempting this conversion.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Dec 1 2010, 01:39 PM
Post #68

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What a great build and car.

I have never been much of a Porscharu fan as most of them result in a serious compromise that I am unwilling to take, but this one is beautiful!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Dec 1 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #69

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Dec 1 2010, 11:39 AM) *

I have never been much of a Porscharu fan as most of them result in a serious compromise that I am unwilling to take, but this one is beautiful!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Very well done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Dec 1 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 3,518

Yes,
If I ever get the time (the swap is currently in position 3 on my list of stuff to do) I will have mounts and jigs made and will start producing them.
Steve
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 30 2010, 06:10 PM) *

Has anyone considered fabricating & selling the cradle mounts to run the wrx motor & trans in the 914?

I am going to do this conversion, but I do not have the skills/equipment to tackle the cradle.

Any hints from you master fabricators out there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Dec 1 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 3,518

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Dec 1 2010, 11:39 AM) *

Hey - I resemble that remark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Dec 3 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #72

Meat Popsicle

Steve,

That's great!!

I see that you are local bay area as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Dec 1 2010, 04:40 PM) *

Yes,
If I ever get the time (the swap is currently in position 3 on my list of stuff to do) I will have mounts and jigs made and will start producing them.
Steve
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 30 2010, 06:10 PM) *

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jul 8 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #73

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

Just got back from an after-dinner blast through the back roads north of Houston, just plain excellent. Just clicked over 5000 miles on the transmission part of the conversion without needing a thing. Nothing. No thing, not even a bolt that needed to be tightened. It had some 4000 miles on the engine swap before we did the transmission, and the only problem we've had was a snapped CV joint at the drag strip when the kids put on some slicks, trying to get it into the 12's. So that's 9000 miles of Subaru power without a hiccup... and everyone who's driven it has beaten the hell out of it. I'm still hugely impressed and couldn't be more pleased. What a car. Well done, Porsche.
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Jul 8 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 9,211
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 8 2011, 08:47 PM) *

Just got back from an after-dinner blast through the back roads north of Houston, just plain excellent. Just clicked over 5000 miles on the transmission part of the conversion without needing a thing. Nothing. No thing, not even a bolt that needed to be tightened. It had some 4000 miles on the engine swap before we did the transmission, and the only problem we've had was a snapped CV joint at the drag strip when the kids put on some slicks, trying to get it into the 12's. So that's 9000 miles of Subaru power without a hiccup... and everyone who's driven it has beaten the hell out of it. I'm still hugely impressed and couldn't be more pleased. What a car. Well done, Porsche.

Good to hear she's still going strong. I've got almost 1000 miles on mine, way too much fun. Hope to see your car in person someday.
+Quote Post
Heater Guy
post Jul 12 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 10,960

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 8 2011, 07:47 PM) *

Are you using a cable or hydraulic clutch? If hydraulic, how did you set up the peddles? If cable, how did you attach the cable at the TO fork.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jul 12 2011, 06:55 AM
Post #76

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

I used Tilton pedals to get a hydraulic M/C (read the whole thread, it's described with photos). Only down side is that using the smallest available Howe M/C's I still have too much pedal pressure (Carrera front calipers, 914 front on the rear), so I'm looking to convert to calipers with bigger pistons.

Check Brittain's thread HERE where he addressed that. I know I also saw someone who used an early Subaru transaxle with the clutch cable... that's right it was Sawtooth's thread HERE

In my thread and those other two you'll see different ways of mounting the transaxle and all the other little things you need to do. It's nice that there are enough of these now that you can compare and choose the way you prefer to do things. For example I got custom adapter flanges made by Porscharu HERE. I don't know if he has any left, but if not you can get more from Bremar in Australia (fast shipping) or get Swayaway to cut some Subaru splines into 914 (or maybe even 944) axles. There are several threads here about using the outer 944 stub axles and CV joints, probably a good idea if you're going racing.

You'll be REALLY happy with the conversion, the improvement is ridiculous.

+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Jul 12 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 9,211
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 12 2011, 06:55 AM) *

I know I also saw someone who used an early Subaru transaxle with the clutch cable... that's right it was Sawtooth's thread HERE[/color][color=#6600CC]

Now I'm using a later non turbo trans from a 2001 forester, which also uses a clutch cable. I used a heavy push-pull cable and mounted a bulkhead in the front of the tunnel. It works and feels fantastic. Like dbcooper said, lots of subaru options these days.
+Quote Post
hsus2k
post Aug 10 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 11,567
Region Association: South East States

Hi newbie here,
I've been following Jeff's work on ShopTalkForum.com, and really inspired me to do the Subaru conversion, expecially I had so many parts to my 914 were missing: engine, transaxle, all the cooling tins, FI stuff plus more. (Long story over 10 years, don't want to talk about it; some people you meet along a way in your life just don't seem to be what they are)

Anyway,
Originally, I was sourcing a JDM WRX EJ20 motor/gearbox combo; hoping to get 200+ish Hp to the rear wheels, but ended up the motor to be the 98' JDM WRX STi RA V4 motor with vf22 turbo (rated 280ps, and possibly up to 300chp stock? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) ) with the Sti gear box TY752vbcaa (4.44 FD)
A little more than what I intended to do, but extra hp is nice? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
The only thing I'm really worried about is the old Subaru Gear box, can it handle the amount of torque was originally set for awd, now to a 2wd? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

And question on the origianl Air to Air IC you had, did you have major issue of not cooling the air sufficient enough? Will it hurt the turbo or over heating it?
I was thinking to do just the air to air right now (rather than the water to air) to save some more plumbing (fabrication) and weight.

Currently it's in a Fab shop getting de-rust and metal work done; since I can't weld.
The front will ahve a 87' 911 Carerra suspension with Aluminum cross member.
I'll have the front 986 Boxster caliper with 24mm Carerra rotors
and the rears will be 986 Boxster caliper with 20mm 911 venter rotor with E-brakes.
The car will have 4-6 point rollcage with bars to stiffen to the front and rear struts area.
Both front hood and rear lids will be fiberglass, and so will the front and rear bumpers. I also have 2 used NASCAR fiberglass doors (i'll have customized lexane windows mounted)
Not sure on the pedal assembly? either with Tilton (expensive) or a wilwood.
The original gas tank removed and will have a either a 17 or 19 gallon Aluminum fuel cell put in the trunk area. My radiator will tilt forward on top and have a hood vent cut out.

Now the final tough question is the suspension and spring rates (front & back) for handling road & track use, I'm not into or have tried Auto-X.
I like stiff suspension and I thought if there is more Hp, then rear spring rate would go up to push the wheels to the ground??
1) So, I was thinking of getting rear springs at 250#?
2) Large 32mm Front swaybar from Tangerine?
3) Rebuild my Front 87' 911 Carerra torsion bars with 21.5mm? Or any suggestions?
4) do I really need a rear swaybar now for a road track/ street car?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I too, also like to keep it narrow look.
I have a set of 15" phone dials from 85' 944 7"-wide, 23.3mm offsets.
I was thinking of putting 205-60-15 tires on all 4 or could it be possible to have 205-60-15 on the rear and 205-50-15 to the front. (would that be a problem with offset (height) of tires front and back?

BTW, I'll have AC in the car, only comfort thing for me here in Hotlanta! Pretty much everythign stripped inside the car other than the dash panel and all instruments.

I really need to sort out my suspensions modification if anyone could help? I'm not familiar with mid-engine cars and how they handle.
Any other suggestion or any mistake on my list mentioned will be appretiated!
Thanks!
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Aug 10 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #79

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

If you intend to be on a race track 80-100%, those spring rates could work, although the front rates seems overkill and may push with 250 lb rears.
Street/track 914's do quite well with a softer set-up, and a nice front anti-roll bar.
A rear AR bar adds tuning, but most folks find it is not needed.
Rear adjustable spring perches that take the readily-available 2-2.5" springs are a great investment. They add lots of options and are required for a good corner-balance.
Visit the Paddock forum here to find more detailed discussions on racing suspension set-ups (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
IanJ
post Sep 17 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #80

Member No.: 5,327
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

First off thanks for a great thread with fantastic pics to help get me motivated!

Can you tell me what sump you're using?
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:45 PM