Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> for the critics who diss'd the 914s' design...
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jan 15 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

Perhaps these "classics" would make you nostalgic for the days when you'd dare call the 914s' "styling" "awkward". Compared to many of todays' automotive styling exercises, I'd say the 914 is an example of restraint, clarity and purposeful design.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Jan 16 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,842

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I totally agree! I personally don't get people who call the 914 'ugly'. I would describe it as a 'handsome' car. Sure, it doesn't have the sexy curves of a Ferrari or Jaguar, but it has a well proportioned, purposeful, sports car look. It's a masculine car. It looks like it was meant to do exactly what it does! I look at my beat old 914 with 3 visible paint layers and the occasional rust spot and I see the beauty of the creation... I just don't want to have sex with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Mark D.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jan 16 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #3

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

another one ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Jan 16 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Perhaps these "classics" would make you nostalgic for the days when you'd dare call the 914s' "styling" "awkward". Compared to many of todays' automotive styling exercises, I'd say the 914 is an example of restraint, clarity and purposeful design.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Everytime I see the Nissan Cube i laugh, its a weird looking little car, same with the smart car, its way to tiny for me to drive...short wheel base, tall car = bad combo.

I love the 914 style, very simple and basic, its what porsche is famous for...giving a driver nothing more than the bare essentials
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 16 2010, 01:19 AM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

How about none other than the Prius!

Everytime I see one of those driving around Santa Monica -- plastered with the effing Obama bumper stickers and going 22mph -- I just think WTF?!?!

I find some of the recent BMW and Benz cars fugly as well, but maybe that's just me?
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Jan 16 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #6

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) I simply like the 914 design. I have liked it since its inception in 1970 and continue to this day. I also love the majority of Italian designs that have been used throughout the global automotive world. Believe me, there have been some ugly designs that have come out of these design houses, but generally I like what I see.

The 914 is one such design that has been attached to me since the beginning. The car says, "I belong to you; and, you belong to me"! I even love the original VW "Beetle".

I guess I have the "sickness" to which there is not any cure!!

Steve Hurt
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 16 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Look at old VW scene, how many of todays economy cars will have that kind of following or aftermarket? I know all sports cars will have peeps restoring them, but how many rusty miata's do you think will get rebuilt like ours do?

The only ugly comments I hear are are about the front marker lights:)
+Quote Post
johnnie5
post Jan 16 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #8

914 lover

Member No.: 9,644
Region Association: Southern California

I have always loved the look of the 914, then when I finally drove one... it turned a love affair!

The marker lights used to bother me as well, and I could understand why people were smoothing them over... but they have actually grown on me - now I would prefer to have them on my car rather than not.
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Jan 16 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,197

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jan 16 2010, 12:49 AM) *
Every time I see the Nissan Cube i laugh...

Whenever I see a Cube I realize what the Toyota/Scion folks were thinking: It doesn't really matter how bad the xD looks. It's only a matter of time before Nissan makes an uglier imitation of it.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 16 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 16 2010, 01:19 AM) *

How about none other than the Prius!

Everytime I see one of those driving around Santa Monica -- plastered with the effing Obama bumper stickers and going 22mph -- I just think WTF?!?!

I find some of the recent BMW and Benz cars fugly as well, but maybe that's just me?

If you remember as a kid playing "Slug Bug" whenever you saw a VW Beetle, you will love this. The new versions is played when you see a Prius, and it is called....

Smug Bug

+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jan 16 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #11

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

Agreed. The first time I saw that Cube thing, the one with the wrap-around window, I thought "What design team approved that?" Fugly.

It's clear the schools of art that teach design have turned their backs on the Golden Section and anything that resembles symmetry. The head designer of Apple understands these principles and applies them. All other designers, in trying to emulate, have ditched the only aesthetic that appeals to the human eye - 1.618. The results are for all us to witness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
914rat
post Jan 16 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,362

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) If it is economical why does it automatically have to be so frigging ugly.Rember the Echo another ugly as (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) econo car.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 16 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #13

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Pretty ironic... 914 owners calling other cars ugly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Jan 16 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 16 2010, 01:35 PM) *

Pretty ironic... 914 owners calling other cars ugly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Yes, but at least the 914 was form follows function. It's like the new cars go out of there way to be ugly. If it's your thing, cool. But stay the FUCH out of my way just because you want to make sure you get that 56 MPG. I'll loose gas mileage if i need to maintain speed uphill. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
oz371
post Jan 16 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,739

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 15 2010, 10:47 PM) *

another one ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) WTF?
+Quote Post
veltror
post Jan 16 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,978

err

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
johannes
post Jan 16 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #17

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 15 2010, 10:47 PM) *

another one ...

Please Gustl ! don't critic my FIAT MULTIPLA. I know my car is ugly but believe it or not, it's the best car I have ever owned for my family... It can carry six passengers despite shorter than a VW Golf. It's stuffed with genious ideas and you won't beleve it ... When it was launched in 1998, it was exposed at the MoMa ...
And yes you can own a Multipla AND a 914 ... Both are cars not for everyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) .
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 16 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #18

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

OK, I'm sitting here trying to understand this. So I'm ugly. New guy on the block moves in, he's uglier. Now I'm not ugly any more?

Sorry, that doesn't make sense. I think it's simpler than that anyway. It's like strawberry ice cream, you like it or you don't. Done and don't argue about it.

Sorry Johannes but I did get one of those Fiat Multipla's as a rental once. I asked the rental lady if she disliked me. My colleagues asked what car I'd gotten and I could remember the name, referred to it as "that Fiat clown car". Drove well enough, but that's not what impressed me...
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 16 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Having had many different cars over the years, I've learned to appreciate good design, and the styling is all in the eye of the beholder.

I can't think of any other "sports car" that has the trunk space, interior room, or pure functionality of the 914. Yes, it may not have been as 'sexy' as a 240Z when it was new, but I think it's aged extremely well. True Germanic efficiency.

But, I also love my Scion xB office car. I can fit four large adults comfortably inside this box of a car. It's short, so it's easy to find a parking space, and it's relatively economical (unless you push it above 70mph, when the absolute lack of aerodynamics does come into play). My knees appreciate the ease of entry and exit, and there's enough headroom to keep a 10 gallon hat on while driving. Yes, it looks like a toaster, but it works!

Efficiency and fuctionality never go out of style!
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jan 16 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,912

Glad nothing I have been lead designer on. has made the list of most ugly
Mark

Here is my latest project that made it into production:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:20 PM