Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TRANSMISSION REBUILD VIDEO THREAD, Input sought!
charliew
post Jan 25 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

Mike I'm sure you have also thought about the other 901 guys that will also be interested in this project. Thats where my first experience with this tranny came from. I actually bought 914 tranny's because they were cheap parts donors for the 911/901 before I got a complete 914 for a donor hotrod. Don't forget samba either.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jan 25 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #22

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Evil,

Hows about a little dialoge on dos and don'ts and an explanation

"Do not not synthetic oil. The 901 uses friction bands in the synchros, and the change in friction can cause shifting problems "

"Don't dissasemble multiple gear boxes and mix all the parts. Gear stacks were measured at the factory and pre-assembled with a correct shim stack for the tolerance stackup. Mix the parts up without careful measurement and you mess up the tolerance stackup and that can change factories measured ring and pinion mesh. That can lead to to premature wear, gear whine etc....

If you do swap gears between different boxes, do it only as matched pairs. The gears are used to running together (ie worn together) and should remain matched. (One from the drive shaft and one from the driven shaft)

Do swap dog teeth and friction bands around. They do not interfere in the shaft stackup and can be swapped around between locations in a gearbox and between different transmisions. Go with the best parts.

And, hows about a little dialogue on replacing bearings in the intermediate bearing plate and/or the angled bearings in the differential.

I owe you a picture of a tool. I found a punch that is perfect for removing the roll pin from the small first gear castellated nut.

Ken
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jan 25 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #23

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

Hey Mike, this is awesome! Let me know if I can help in anyway.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 25 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #24

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 24 2010, 09:17 PM) *
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 24 2010, 12:48 PM) *
Special tool list please.
Reasonable substitutes for special tools. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Hello.... helloo... helloooo...
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 25 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #25

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(charliew @ Jan 25 2010, 12:10 PM) *

Mike I'm sure you have also thought about the other 901 guys that will also be interested in this project. Thats where my first experience with this tranny came from. I actually bought 914 tranny's because they were cheap parts donors for the 911/901 before I got a complete 914 for a donor hotrod. Don't forget samba either.

The tail shifter is analogous to the 911/901 and will be addressed in the video (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 25 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(kwales @ Jan 25 2010, 01:52 PM) *

Evil,

Hows about a little dialoge on dos and don'ts and an explanation

"Do not not synthetic oil. The 901 uses friction bands in the synchros, and the change in friction can cause shifting problems "

"Don't dissasemble multiple gear boxes and mix all the parts. Gear stacks were measured at the factory and pre-assembled with a correct shim stack for the tolerance stackup. Mix the parts up without careful measurement and you mess up the tolerance stackup and that can change factories measured ring and pinion mesh. That can lead to to premature wear, gear whine etc....

If you do swap gears between different boxes, do it only as matched pairs. The gears are used to running together (ie worn together) and should remain matched. (One from the drive shaft and one from the driven shaft)

Do swap dog teeth and friction bands around. They do not interfere in the shaft stackup and can be swapped around between locations in a gearbox and between different transmisions. Go with the best parts.

And, hows about a little dialogue on replacing bearings in the intermediate bearing plate and/or the angled bearings in the differential.

I owe you a picture of a tool. I found a punch that is perfect for removing the roll pin from the small first gear castellated nut.

Ken

Some of this is only going to be in the video, but I can list the donts in the notes.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 25 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 25 2010, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 24 2010, 09:17 PM) *
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 24 2010, 12:48 PM) *
Special tool list please.
Reasonable substitutes for special tools. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Hello.... helloo... helloooo...

This is a problem area in that I have some modified tools, but for that actual special tools, I only use the correct tools. Using anything else can be dangerous to you and your parts. I havent used many substitutions so I really cant comment.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 25 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 25 2010, 11:44 AM) *

I know you producing a DVD, but how about also cranking out a blue ray disk while your at it...not really any more work--you'll be able to include much more. Of course, the blue ray disk could be a premium purchase. Just think of all the cool interactivity that could be incorporated., humor cameos, diagram blowups, step by step lists, websites, interviews, etc, etc.

I'll see if Eric has any idea about this. I dont know squat about Blue ray and if the format gets changed again I will quit buying video media all together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I just got on with DVD when blueray came out.
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Jan 25 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 25 2010, 12:14 PM) *

I'll see if Eric has any idea about this. I dont know squat about Blue ray and if the format gets changed again I will quit buying video media all together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I just got on with DVD when blueray came out.

BluRay is alot of work. Then in the end everyone will buy the DVD. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Plenty of other options but DVD still seems top be the most universal. Working to setup Super Speeders for download with digital rights management. What a pain in the ass that is.

If you guys need help I have a scribe replicator. Does 400 disc a day and prints full color disc art. Only does single layer though. In my experience if you go dual layer you need to go full replication from DLT tape. Easier to multiple single disc.

(IMG:http://www.proactionmedia.com/prodimages/Scribe-9000/mfdigital-Scribe-9000.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 25 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jan 25 2010, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 25 2010, 12:14 PM) *

BluRay is alot of work. Then in the end everyone will buy the DVD. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Plenty of other options but DVD still seems top be the most universal. Working to setup Super Speeders for download with digital rights management. What a pain in the ass that is.

If you guys need help I have a scribe replicator. Does 400 disc a day and prints full color disc art. Only does single layer though. In my experience if you go dual layer you need to go full replication from DLT tape. Easier to multiple single disc.

(IMG:http://www.proactionmedia.com/prodimages/Scribe-9000/mfdigital-Scribe-9000.jpg)

I am not sure what we will need for distribution. I have Eric linked to this as I am pretty much the on screen talent and he is the guy with the smarts to do the rest. I would be floored if we sold 400, probably more like 100, but we will see (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jan 26 2010, 05:02 PM
Post #31

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

It'd only take about a weeks worth of production to make one for all the running 914's in existence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Don't forget the hammer on the thumb outtakes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Don't know beans about a tranny, but will be looking to watching the video. Bill
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 26 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #32

I hope it is not just informative, but also entertaining. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 4 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #33

OK, Folks! The date for shooting this has been set for March 6th (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If needed, there will be other dates to finish shooting. This is gonna be so fun!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 12:47 AM