Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Injecting you car the EFI way
Mike Bellis
post Jan 27 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #1

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I work on very complex fuel systems for a living. For fun I enjoy building EFI systems for myself and clients. I have had some inquiries about how to DIY a system. So here anre some pics and a few words... I'll break it down for those not up to speed.

Attached Image

Attached Image

You will see my current project. Don't worry about the wiring. It's still in test phase and I have a shorter harness I'm working on.
This is a TBI (Throttle Body Injection system. The easyest way by far to add EFI to your engine.
Here's a list of sensors needed for most EFI setups...
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) The TPS measures how far open your throttle is. 1-5 volts in mots cases.
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor) Measures manifold vacuum 1-5 volts.
AIT (Air Intake Temp sensor) Measures intake ait temp. Used for TPI or sequencial systems. Not needed for TBI.
Water Temp. Most aftermarket system use a GM sensor.
O2 sensor (measures the ammount of oxygen in the burned exhaust. ECU will adjust fuel level based on this signal)
Oil Pressure Switch. Some systems like the TBI use this switch to shut off fuel with a loss of oil pressure.
MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) Measures the amount of air going into the engine. Used on high performance systems.
Crank Trigger. Used by the ECU to determine engine speed and adjust the fuel map to suit the engine requirements.
Cam Trigger. Used buy the ECU for a sequencial injection system.
ECU (Electronic Control Unit, the brain of the system)

The TBI system has the injectors mounted in the throttle body on top of the engine. It mounts similar to a carb. These systems can be used on a stock manifold with the correct adapter flange. The TBI is for a mild cam setup but the ECU can be re-flashed for more performance. In the picture above is a Crossfire Injection system from an 80's Corvette. It uses two 400 CFM TB's instead of one. I had to down size the injectors for my 283. The GM computer will learn how the car drives and re-write the fuel map to suit the engine (Closed Loop) using the engine sensors as a referance. During warm up and WOT, the system will run in "Open Loop" mode and use engine speed and TPS signal to adjust the fuel map. This system was used and purchased from Ebay. Total installed price $500.

A sequencial injection system uses both the Crank and Cam signals to determine when each cylinder is at its intake stroke. The injector will fire only during this point of the cycle. A sequencial system has better off idle performance and slightly better fuel economy. The two most common ways to access a Cam signal are to use an Accel Dizzy with a cam output or machine a magnet into the cam gear to use an inductive pickup on the timing cover.

Attached Image

This Picture Is a sequencial system using a F.A.S.T. ECU, GM sensors, Ford dual throttle bodies and Bosch Injectors. For This setup everything was custom fabricated. I used a dual quad manifold and welded injector bungs to it. This system was all new parts. Total installed price $4000. Plus dozens of days of seat time with my lap top writing fuel maps.

I've also used Megasquirt with great results. MS has a great fourm with helpful people just like this site. MS does not need a cam signal because it does not do sequencial injection. MS uses "Bank to Bank" injection. This means to toggles between the right and left cylinders back and forth. There will be slightly lesss performance at low RPM's but at mid to high rpm the difference is neglegable. The really nice thing about the MS forum is that there will be someonr there with a setup similar to yours and they will share their fuel maps. You then use their map as the starting point for yours.

Most aftermarket EFI systems will allow the use of a wide band O2 sensor. A wide band O2 will allow you to run in Closed Loop mode and have the ECU learn how you drive in conjunction with the engine needs. This makes fine tuning of the system very easy.

Most early GM EFI systems can be adapted to any engine. You just need the GM sensors and wire it up correctly. Factory EFI systems are really cheap at junk yards or on the web. Make sure you buy a system as complete as possible. Painless Wiring makes harnesses for most GM and Ford systems.

I hope this helps people understand a little about EFI.

If I missed anything please chime in. Correct me if I made any mistakes.

Bottom line... EFI is easy. Everyone should do it!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
kg6dxn   Injecting you car the EFI way   Jan 27 2010, 09:30 PM
detoxcowboy   Glad to see an Electrician on this site, my father...   Jan 27 2010, 09:41 PM
kg6dxn   Glad to see an Electrician on this site, my fathe...   Jan 27 2010, 09:54 PM
underthetire   Cool, looks like the '82 corvette cross fire i...   Jan 27 2010, 10:24 PM
76-914   Great reading. THX. A good terminology reference f...   Jan 27 2010, 10:35 PM
underthetire   Great reading. THX. A good terminology reference ...   Jan 27 2010, 10:42 PM
kg6dxn   Great reading. THX. A good terminology reference ...   Jan 27 2010, 10:51 PM
computers4kids   Great reading. THX. A good terminology reference ...   Jan 29 2010, 08:05 PM
kg6dxn   Great reading. THX. A good terminology reference...   Jan 29 2010, 08:41 PM
underthetire   oil temps around 225, but thats not what you want ...   Jan 27 2010, 11:12 PM
kg6dxn   [quote Keep in mind I make full CNC panels and d...   Jan 27 2010, 11:29 PM
underthetire   [quote Keep in mind I make full CNC panels and ...   Jan 27 2010, 11:50 PM
ghuff   I like that, but TBI is obsolete since you can get...   Jan 28 2010, 02:15 AM
kg6dxn   I like that, but TBI is obsolete since you can ge...   Jan 28 2010, 10:35 PM
aircooledtechguy   Sequencial is a little tricky for any custom setu...   Jan 29 2010, 11:52 AM
kg6dxn   Sequencial is a little tricky for any custom set...   Jan 29 2010, 05:31 PM
toon1   [quote Keep in mind I make full CNC panels and ...   Jan 28 2010, 08:56 PM
underthetire   Is it drivable yet? If you are using a fast idle s...   Jan 28 2010, 09:08 PM
Dr Evil   Very cool :thumbsup: I look forward to doing this...   Jan 29 2010, 06:44 PM
kg6dxn   Very cool :thumbsup: I look forward to doing thi...   Jan 29 2010, 06:59 PM
Jacob   Very cool :thumbsup: I look forward to doing thi...   Jan 30 2010, 05:35 PM
Dr Evil   I currently have a WB O2 sensor setup for the elec...   Jan 29 2010, 07:23 PM
kg6dxn   I currently have a WB O2 sensor setup for the ele...   Jan 29 2010, 07:27 PM
underthetire   I currently have a WB O2 sensor setup for the el...   Jan 29 2010, 08:58 PM
kg6dxn   Lets take my 283 FI conversion. If I were picking...   Jan 30 2010, 01:11 AM
computers4kids   The easyest way will be a TBI from a 1990's G...   Jan 30 2010, 09:47 AM
Dr Evil   Very interesting :popcorn: :)   Jan 30 2010, 01:59 AM
Dr Evil   Bad ass, Jacob! Thanks :)   Jan 30 2010, 05:55 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:36 AM