Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tires, Unexpected benefits....
pbanders
post Jan 29 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 805

My car is flared and has 215/60's on 15x8 Fuchs. I like this tire size because it's very close to the same diameter as the stock setup, so my speedo is accurate - not that I can see it, anyway, as I have a 13" wheel that blocks about 60% of it!

I drove my car very little from 2004 until this year, when I got back into it. The tires were ancient Yoko A008P's. When you live in Phoenix and you've got a 2100 lb car that sits in a garage that hits 130 deg. F in the summer, over time, the tires get like rocks. It's almost impossible to wear them out, so you tend to drive them much longer than you should. I finally replaced them a couple of weeks ago with some Goodyear Eagle GT's. Not a lot of hi-perf choice in that tire size these days, but these looked like a decent tire.

Well, not only are they better in all the ways I expected, they also solved a problem that I've had for ages. I had thought the car had never had the steering rack repositioned after it had been lowered, and that the continual wandering was due to bump steer - nope, it was all the tires. Since going to the Goodyears, the car tracks straight as a rail. I'd peeked in when the car was up on the rack and could see the bump steer spacers, so I knew it wasn't that.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
pbanders   Tires   Jan 29 2010, 10:17 AM
detoxcowboy   I bought the Goodyear GT's too. After reading ...   Jan 29 2010, 11:00 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:17 PM