Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The restoration begins!
993inNC
post Dec 4 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,676
Region Association: South East States

A little tease (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The production dates were apparently stamped in white paint on the inside of the brake dust shields. It reads 22/2/1975 so I didn't paint or alter them at all. The rear trailing arms used to have something similar, but I didn't tell the media balster in time and they got blasted off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 4 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #182

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

VERY nice!
+Quote Post
jersey914
post Dec 4 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #183

Member No.: 14,895
Region Association: North East States

Nice tease!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Dec 5 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #184

Okay this one was just for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) A little minor sense of accomplishment. Sorry for the crappy Iphone pics.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 5 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #185

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE(993inNC @ Dec 4 2012, 07:06 PM) *

The production dates were apparently stamped in white paint on the inside of the brake dust shields. It reads 22/2/1975 so I didn't paint or alter them at all. The rear trailing arms used to have something similar, but I didn't tell the media balster in time and they got blasted off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

My '75 still has the markings on the trailing arms. I can take some pics if you desire. Jeff Bowlsby has had rubber stamps made to replicate some of the engine tin markings. I am sure that your could do the same for the trailing arms.
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Dec 6 2012, 06:50 AM
Post #186

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 5 2012, 10:45 PM) *

My '75 still has the markings on the trailing arms. I can take some pics if you desire. Jeff Bowlsby has had rubber stamps made to replicate some of the engine tin markings. I am sure that your could do the same for the trailing arms.

Ooh, that would be cool! I don't remember what mine said though, guess I could just match the front, but not sure that would be accurate............hmm
Go ahead and post that pic if its not to much trouble. Thanks
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 6 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #187

Major Member

QUOTE(993inNC @ Dec 6 2012, 04:50 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 5 2012, 10:45 PM) *

Ooh, that would be cool! I don't remember what mine said though, guess I could just match the front, but not sure that would be accurate............hmm
Go ahead and post that pic if its not to much trouble. Thanks

Off the top of my head, it is a circle with a letter in the middle. There aren't any production dates on them. I have only seen that on the brake shields. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 6 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #188

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That's looking great!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 7 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #189

Major Member

I apologize for the crappy phone pics, but they should be clear enough to replicate whatever this is. This is from the drivers side. The passenger side is just a white smudge in the same location.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 7 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #190

Major Member

Blurry, but should give an idea of the size. You could probably recreate this with a paint pen.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Jan 15 2013, 05:36 PM
Post #191

Today was for me, a triumphant day, one I've waited over three years for! An over cast day turned sunny for me when Summer rolled out of the garage on her own shoes for the first time since late 2009. All new suspension parts, bearings, rotors (no calipers yet).
Got to go back to the body shop tomorrow to address a couple of little issues I don't like and then I think i'll start with the wire harness. I also want to polish the rims clean soon so the car looks good standing still (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 15 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #192

James D. Lane

Member No.: 15,210
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(993inNC @ Jan 15 2013, 04:36 PM) *

Today was for me, a triumphant day, one I've waited over three years for! An over cast day turned sunny for me when Summer rolled out of the garage on her own shoes for the first time since late 2009. All new suspension parts, bearings, rotors (no calipers yet).
Got to go back to the body shop tomorrow to address a couple of little issues I don't like and then I think i'll start with the wire harness. I also want to polish the rims clean soon so the car looks good standing still (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B-E-A-U-tiful work, man!
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Jan 16 2013, 07:49 PM
Post #193

Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

Look'n good!
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jan 23 2013, 08:41 AM
Post #194

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

Hey Chris! Long time no talk!! been to the track lately?

VERY NICE!!! You need to get this done by the Fall....we have something planned you need to bring that to.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Jan 23 2013, 08:46 AM
Post #195

Member No.: 9,880

Very nice job. Protect that paint as you put things back together. still a bunch ahead of you.
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Jan 24 2013, 03:05 PM
Post #196

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 23 2013, 09:41 AM) *

Hey Chris! Long time no talk!! been to the track lately?

VERY NICE!!! You need to get this done by the Fall....we have something planned you need to bring that to.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

hey Bob, yeah it has been a while. No hadn't been to the track in a while but hoping that changes very soon (looking at a track '44 right now). I'm hoping to hit the '14 hard this summer if time allows. What's planned?

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 23 2013, 09:46 AM) *

Very nice job. Protect that paint as you put things back together. still a bunch ahead of you.

The paint guy keeps telling me the same but knows what the out come will really be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Apr 10 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #197

So I made a small step towards reassembly yesterday. After doing a quick tidy up of the garage, I finally pulled the car back out of the trailer and got it on the lift so I could park my Speedster under it when the 914 isn't being worked on.

I put the dash carcass back in and started running the wire harness. I've got most of it figured out as to what wires go to what accessory. I think before I continue though, it's time to stop and really take a hard look at the harness. I didn't use the one that came out because it is covered in yellow paint from previous paint jobs. I bought a used complete harness off Ebay years ago that came from a 75 or 76 car, it got stripped 6 years into its life. I should probably really look at each carefully to make sure they are the same or at least close enough for what I'm doing.

I've seen and subscribed to some of the harness threads I've found, but does anyone have any further wisdom to share before I proceed?

...Oh and I also brought the trim pieces for around the roll bar and door weather stripping to the powder coating guy to have them become satin black. I'm not a chrome guy, and since black trim and no sail vinyl was an option, I elected to go that route.
+Quote Post
993inNC
post May 15 2013, 08:11 PM
Post #198

Another little step closer today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Got the trim pieces back and just had to see them on. Bought new stainless screws for the parts and put everything on. I need the little holders for the bottom trailing edge of the sail panel trims. Don't think I've seen them for sale, may have to make them unless someone has some.
And I just love the black on yellow. Going to do away with all bright work and go to black.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post May 16 2013, 04:20 AM
Post #199

Member No.: 9,880

Chris, would you please finish!
S/F
Chris
+Quote Post
993inNC
post May 16 2013, 04:53 AM
Post #200

"givin' er all I've got Captain" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm hoping to hit it hard this summer, but i tend to stay busy in one way shape or form and with family stuff mixed in, its hard to focus on it. Think I'm going to work on polishing the rims and finish running the wire harness next.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:32 AM