Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The restoration begins!
993inNC
post Feb 4 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,676
Region Association: South East States

couple more for giggles. I'm sick......and tired.....no really. I can't imagine going through and reducing them. Head is killing me

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Feb 4 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Feb 4 2010, 09:56 PM) *

Mark I have a brand new set of floor pans still in the box, got them from Restoration Design and I am looking to sell them, got some other stuff too.

Ian Stott
Moncton

Ignore this post I am trying to watch the curling match and be online at the same time, not doing either well!!

Ian Stott
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Feb 4 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #23

Trying to watch Top Gear and do this too, but of you were talking to me (the pans etc) lets take that discussion off line. I'll need parts very soon so let me know what you have.
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Feb 26 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #24

No going back now!

Was hoping to have the car blasted by now, but apparently my media guy is backed up. Attached Image
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Feb 26 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #25

Attached Image

pans are gone. New metal is here and waiting for me to weld it in.
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Feb 26 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #26

So far this is all I can find for real damage in the longs (was rotten where I cut the hole out). Shined light down each way and looks clean! There's bit more to be cut out, but I want to see it after blasting before I cut any more out. Should be able to get away with a small thick steel patch repair.....no?
Attached Image
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Mar 10 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #27

And yesterday the fun began. This was a couple hours worth of work. The blaster got the passenger side of the car done in about an hour. The car seems to be in what he calls "cherry" shape considering its age. It has however seen a few mishaps in iys past. Some idiot thought it better to bondo the entire rear quarter panel in lieu of hammer and dolly'g the dents out. That crap was like concrete coming off.....slowly!Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Mar 10 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #28

Was told the brass and lead we found throughout the car is factory original (the brass is directly under the word original and is at the front of the sill as well at the top_.
Attached Image
The window frame is in great shape too
Attached Image
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Mar 10 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #29

He got quite a bit done in just a couple hours, can't wait to see it complete and do a final assessment of it's condition. Sand blasting of the surface rust will commence after the soda is complete.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 10 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

Careful with the sand as it can warp body panels.
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Mar 10 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #31

Yeah, I know. We're just doing very small spot areas to get rid of surface rust, not doing entire panels. I'm confident this guy knows what he's doing.
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Jul 20 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #32

Well its been over a year and I am disappointed to report that my soda blast guy didn't turn out to quite as I had hoped.

After well over a year, I finally had to force my hand to get my car back......and of course it wasn't done. I had been sweet talked into bringing all my parts and pieces over to him for help with welding the new parts in and prime the entire car once new parts were installed, well that didn't go as planned! Most never even made it out of their boxes!

Two bright spots came out of everything though. I only paid the guy (way back in the beginning) $300 for the car to get blasted, and the car is still on his rotisserie with no time frame to give it back! He did cut out the entire back quarter panel for replacement as well as the front corner light metal, there is just the other rear corner that needs pulling and body repair.

My plan of attack (already started): With various wire wheels on my pneumatic drill, I am grinding off the surface rust that has grown on the car since the car was never sealed after the initial blasting. I'll wash it in Ospho rust inhibitor as I go and a total bath once completely ground down. Then a "super clean" and water bath with scotchbrite scrub pad, drying and then primer. I want to get to this point before hitting the welding/body work to make sure there is no future rust issues.

Luckily the metal is still in great shape, a couple rust issues but all the main areas are in great shape (longs, suspension points, etc).

A couple pics for your enjoyment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) First two are before grinding, last 3 are after grinding/Ospho

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 21 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #33

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Despite the delays it is very exciting to see these cars in their naked form. I love seeing the bare metal all clean and waiting for newer technology finishes to be applied to protect them for the next 40 plus years. Good luck.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 21 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #34

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

In his defense it's a hard business these days. We deal in discretionary income, and when times are tight guys like us take the first hit. If he is primarily a blaster, he will stick with the blasting as he is known to be one of few. I am known for metal and paint, and not blasting, yet it is still hard to make ends meet. We are a specialty line of business, the first to lose work when times are tight. If he is good, give him a break. the end results will be worth it in the long run

I am having to take n work that I would turned away 3 years ago. Unfortunately my regular customers have suffered. I try my best to keep in touch with them and let them know what is going on. So ar all have been very understanding and supportive. Give him a reasonable break if he has a good rep.
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Jul 22 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 21 2011, 10:29 PM) *

In his defense it's a hard business these days. We deal in discretionary income, and when times are tight guys like us take the first hit. If he is primarily a blaster, he will stick with the blasting as he is known to be one of few. I am known for metal and paint, and not blasting, yet it is still hard to make ends meet. We are a specialty line of business, the first to lose work when times are tight. If he is good, give him a break. the end results will be worth it in the long run

I am having to take n work that I would turned away 3 years ago. Unfortunately my regular customers have suffered. I try my best to keep in touch with them and let them know what is going on. So ar all have been very understanding and supportive. Give him a reasonable break if he has a good rep.

I can appreciate hard times and having to prioritize, but blasting the car is a good days work.....ok maybe two, the car sat for a year + with no protection after the initial blasting. I would have been fine with finishing and giving it back but he strung me along and added insult to injury by telling me to bring all my parts over and that he'd make things right for me and promising me a finish day that came and went long ago. That to me, as a person of a few businesses, is uncalled for. Communication is key and I got none. He's an okay guy personally, that's not what this is about, he just sucks as a businessman. My lesson learned.
I'm just happy I got it back and its not to bad off. It also seems like the grinding of surface rust is a lot easier to remove than all those layers of paint, so again another bright side. I've got about half the car ground down, work on the rest next week and get it washed down soon.
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Jul 22 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,179

Hi Chris,

How did I miss all this progress?? I hate that you had to deal with all the delay, but it looks like you are all over it now.
I moved to the mountains so I won't get to help, but good luck and keep at it.

-Peter
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 22 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #37

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(993inNC @ Jul 22 2011, 01:55 PM) *

I can appreciate hard times and having to prioritize, but blasting the car is a good days work.....ok maybe two, the car sat for a year + with no protection after the initial blasting. I would have been fine with finishing and giving it back but he strung me along and added insult to injury by telling me to bring all my parts over and that he'd make things right for me and promising me a finish day that came and went long ago. That to me, as a person of a few businesses, is uncalled for. Communication is key and I got none. He's an okay guy personally, that's not what this is about, he just sucks as a businessman. My lesson learned.
I'm just happy I got it back and its not to bad off. It also seems like the grinding of surface rust is a lot easier to remove than all those layers of paint, so again another bright side. I've got about half the car ground down, work on the rest next week and get it washed down soon.

Oops I wan't paying full attention. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I missed that it took a year just to get blasted. That IS uncalled for. The car also should have been etched and sealed immediately after the blasting was done so all that flash rusting would have been prevented. Carry on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Jul 22 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 22 2011, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(993inNC @ Jul 22 2011, 01:55 PM) *

Oops I wan't paying full attention. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I missed that it took a year just to get blasted. That IS uncalled for. The car also should have been etched and sealed immediately after the blasting was done so all that flash rusting would have been prevented. Carry on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No worries (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It's not that it took a year to get blasted. He jumped on it pretty quick at first and got it about 75% done.......then time stopped. It still isn't quite done but I think I can strip it with grinders and chemical strippers. The Ospho is a wonderful etching chemical and cleanser and I don't think he'll have done much damage other to have wasted my time (and his since he word for basically free). Can't wait to get it done and painted, so looking forward to it...........been saving for an entire year+ for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Peter, to bad. Keep in touch on the thread, hope the move has treated you well.
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Jul 25 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #39

Well my son decided he wanted to work on "his Porsche" tonight (he's 4 years old btw) after dinner. So to appease I took him out to try out the aircraft stripper I just bought this afternoon.

OMG that stuff is amazing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I did just the inner driver's wheel well to practice and in moments the paint was bubbling up. A buddy warned me about getting it on my skin etc......he was right, it hurts! Burns like a weld slag, even through leather welding gloves......crazy stuff. Love it though, should have the car ready for body work in no time at this rate.
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Jul 26 2011, 07:39 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 9,880

Your wife will kill you if your boy gets hurt with aircraft stripper. just the fumes alone are enough hazard. Wish I was in the area still to help you, but as you can see I moved along also. Good luck with project.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:05 PM