Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Intermittent Spark - '73 2.0L, I've tried all the obvious things but one, apparently...
CantConfirmOrDeny
post Feb 13 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,451
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hi all,

My son's '73 914 (drastically modified 2.3L rat motor, Weber carbs), which had been running "fine", now won't start after being parked for a week. Long story short: the spark is very intermittent - only sparks about every 3rd or 4th time that it should. It had a Crane optical pickup, so I put the points/condenser back in - same symptom! Put the Crane back in, then put a scope on the coil (-), and while cranking, I see a clean, 13.5V square pulse with a 240ms period and 180ms of dwell (Crane varies the dwell as it deems necessary, I think). If my math is right, this works out to a cranking speed of 117 RPM and a 69 deg. dwell angle, which oughta work. It always has before!

We've replaced the coil, we tried grounding the dizzy directly to the battery, we tried hotwiring the battery directly to the coil. Same symptom - only sparks every 3rd or 4th pulse. Plugs and wires are next, although why they would simply fail like this whilst parked is beyond me.

If that doesn't work, what's left? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Cheers,
"CCoD"

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 01:59 AM