Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to keep/get Calif 914s' Old Original Plates ..., ... Resources & History of Plate Types & Colors, etc.
montoya 73 2.0
post Mar 4 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #41

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

I keep seeing the words "collector car". Why does it have to be a collector car to assign the YOM plates? What I did here in Orgon was as follows (my story):

I went to the DMV here in Oregon with two YOM plates (they were previously on IIRC a chevelle and then out of registration for the last 15 years). My number was called and when I spoke to the lady about registering these plates on my 73 914 (the car was previuosly registered non-op in California) she told me all about the collector car laws for Oregon. I told her I don't want to register it as a collector car because you can only drive it a certain number of miles a year and can only use it for parades, etc, etc.. I told her I want to register the plates as personalized license plates? She gave me a puzzled look. I then asked her if I can have these exact characters (letters & numbers) in the exact sequence on my personalized plates? She said sure if no one else has them. After checking that no one did, I said I wanted to request that plate sequence. She handed me some paperwork to fill out and I then said "If I can have this same sequence than what would stop me from using these very plates"? She again looked at me with a puzzled look and said Well I don't know. I asked her to get her manager and then explained the whole thing again? I added that these were actual plates issued by the DMV and they were not on record to anyone. He shrugged his shoulders and said I was right. After he did some checking in the computer and in a few books he came back and said that there was nothing in his books that said I couldn't register them as personalized plates and furthermore that he could not find anything saying that I could not use those very plates. So instead of having to pay for new personalized plates to be made, I had to register the YOM plates as personalized plates (every two years) and everything is good!

I don't know if that will work in California but I actually didn't think it was going to work here either!

Good Luck

Attached Image

I like to think my plates stand for Hot-Fuchin-Rod-8(August,month plates assigned)-73 (year)!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 4 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #42

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 4 2010, 08:16 PM) *

I keep seeing the words "collector car". Why does it have to be a collector car to assign the YOM plates? What I did here in Orgon was as follows (my story):

I went to the DMV here in Oregon with two YOM plates (they were previously on what I believe was a chevelle and then out of registration for the last 15 years). My number was called and when I spoke to the lady about registering these plates on my 73 914 (the car was previuosly registered non-op in California) she told me all about the collector car laws for Oregon. I told her I don't want to register it as a collector car because you can only drive it a certain number of miles a year and can only use it for parades, etc, etc.. I told her I want to register the plates as personalized license plates? She gave me a puzzled look. I then asked her if I can have these exact characters (letters & numbers) in the exact sequence on my personalized plates? She said sure if no one else has them. After checking that no one did, I said I wanted to request that plate sequence. She handed me some paperwork to fill out and I then said "If I can have this same sequence than what would stop me from using these very plates"? She again looked at me with a puzzled look and said Well I don't know. I asked her to get her manager and then explained the whole thing again? I added that these were actual plates issued by the DMV and they were not on record to anyone. He shrugged his shoulders and said I was right. After he did some checking in the computer and in a few books he came back and said that there was nothing in his books that said I couldn't register them as personalized plates and furthermore that he could not find anything saying that I could not use those very plates. So instead of having to pay for new personalized plates to be made, I had to register the YOM plates as personalized plates (every two years) and everything is good!

I don't know if that will work in California but I actually didn't think it was going to work here either!

Good Luck

Great Story - DMV's are similar everywhere, but OR's apparently ultimately CAN listen to reason! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ..... unlike CA's DMV-doofs!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

In CA they only list limitations on driving it under "Historical Vehicle" plates, which is yet another classification & plate type. I know some folks who do a bit more than the defined driving with theirs & always have a good reason to do so! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Here the "collector" definition really only applies to the type of vehicle under that definition posted above, & gives the lawmakers & bureaucrats the convenient excuse to otherwise limiting the reassignment of older "non-reflectorized" plates. As far as I can tell, there are zero mileage/driving limitations under this, and a new MY vehicle could qualify as their low production number vehicle definition aspect for collector car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Mar 4 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #43

IIRC I was told in order to register as Collector Car in Oregon you have to show proof of Collector Car insurance.

If you want to use the YOM plates order the sequence as a personalized plate and then use the YOM plates instead? Keep your new ones in the car just in case? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 5 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #44

TMI....

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 4 2010, 08:54 PM) *

IIRC I was told in order to register as Collector Car in Oregon you have to show proof of Collector Car insurance.

If you want to use the YOM plates order the sequence as a personalized plate and then use the YOM plates instead? Keep your new ones in the car just in case? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

BTW - I got some pretty good quotes on collector car insurance at a $20k stated value (what they cover to you less deductible - no questions asked) with <5000 mi per year (pretty generous. Both AAA & Hemmings were at $200 - 215 for me as sole driver! I was pleasantly surprised! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Now all I need is enough time & dry days to git er dun & on the road again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 5 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #45

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81

Rob Sime has good info on insurance. I'm definately going to insure mine for a set value if possible to avoid the typical insurance BS...
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 5 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #46

TMI....

QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 5 2010, 12:52 PM) *

Rob Sime has good info on insurance. I'm definately going to insure mine for a set value if possible to avoid the typical insurance BS...

Only way to go on these Rob - what with ever escalating prices for & ever more NLA parts!

AAA told me that they'd both inspect the car (as per usual on a new one added) AND the garage where it will be stored! So one must also clean up the garage! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

IIRC, they &/or Hemmings also wants to see reciepts of any work/parts & comparable values of cars, but they basically accept your $$'s amount & charge you per that - assuming it's inspected as such!

What surprised me was that the $215 from AAA on a $20k stated value was 1/3 - 1/2 what the $3500 max value 88 Honda Civic was with our 2 kids as drivers, & the 85 BMW 325e & 88 Westy !!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post Mar 5 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #47

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 5 2010, 11:55 AM) *

BTW - I got some pretty good quotes on collector car insurance at a $20k stated value (what they cover to you less deductible - no questions asked) with <5000 mi per year (pretty generous. Both AAA & Hemmings were at $200 - 215 for me as sole driver! I was pleasantly surprised! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Now all I need is enough time & dry days to git er dun & on the road again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Although this might be great for many of the folks that drive teeners here, it just doesn't work for for people like me that drive their 914's a minimum of 15,000 miles a year. It not really the mileage restriction that's the biggest problem, but the other restrictions that would greatly enhance the risk of having the policy cancelled should i be found to not be adhering to their limited allowances.

If this fits your driving habits, go for it. If not, be very careful before using a "collector car" policy.

Eric Read
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Mar 5 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(ericread @ Mar 5 2010, 01:19 PM) *

Although this might be great for many of the folks that drive teeners here, it just doesn't work for for people like me that drive their 914's a minimum of 15,000 miles a year. It not really the mileage restriction that's the biggest problem, but the other restrictions that would greatly enhance the risk of having the policy cancelled should i be found to not be adhering to their limited allowances.

If this fits your driving habits, go for it. If not, be very careful before using a "collector car" policy.

Eric Read

That is the reason why I didn't want to go the "Collector Car" way.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 5 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #49

TMI....

QUOTE(ericread @ Mar 5 2010, 01:19 PM) *

Eric Read

Eric - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) -

One ALWAYS needs to read the full policy fine print for the restrictions in every case. You might be surprised as to what you actually get under a standard" auto policy - which can be far less than you can get it repaired for - let alone what you have into it - plus you LOSE the 914 if they total it at just 25% of avg book value, & most allow them to total & pay you off low-mid book value (read avg.) & THEY KEEP THE CAR!

I'm not sure about Haggerty's restrictions, cuz I was just checking on-line.

However, AAA (ACSC) told me that they basically "rate" it based on the "stated value" & initially on your stated mileage/then annual mileage checks at whatever you expect to drive per year - period. So expect that a 15-20k mi/yr DD "classic car" policy will be more than the 0-5k mi/yr which I asked about. Otherwise, the other policy parameters are the same - except you keep the car in a negotiated total settlement & start over with resto/repair or whatever you choose.

Fortunately, everything is pretty close to us here in Orange CA, my wife works 2 mi away, son's college is 5-7 mi away, I home office & only go out to meetings, etc. - so 0-5 or 5-7500 probably works for us - having 3 other cars to spread the DD chores over as well. If I needed more miles/year, then they'd just charge me more! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

However, the AAA regions are separate entities & business units - so those in NoCal are under No. Cal. Auto Club, which may be different that our SoCal AC. .... same for others in other areas! .... need to check & not take my word for it.

Another good thing which fortunately is national with AAA - IIRC - is getting their Premier or whatever their top "Membership" is, so you get their 200 mi & 100 mi towing coverage!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jjbunn
post Mar 30 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #50

Julian

Member No.: 10,383

Useful thread, Tom!

The original blue plates are still on my '74 and are current. However, they are in pretty tatty condition, especially the front plate, which looks like it's been hit by a stone at some point: half the blue paint is gone, it's rusty etc..

Is there somewhere that will make legitimate new blue plates, do you know? Or perhaps refinish them?

Julian

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 31 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #51

TMI....

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Mar 30 2010, 10:46 PM) *

Useful thread, Tom!

The original blue plates are still on my '74 and are current. However, they are in pretty tatty condition, especially the front plate, which looks like it's been hit by a stone at some point: half the blue paint is gone, it's rusty etc..

Is there somewhere that will make legitimate new blue plates, do you know? Or perhaps refinish them?

Julian

Julian - check with Michael N here at the link below, as he had some Blue/Golds made out of his 74 914 LE personalized white plates somewhere, so maybe they could redo yours.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=2164

Post the company info here too if he knows, so we can all get at it if ours are needed to be remade.

Otherwise, You could get a match exterior enamel in the proper Blue & Gold/Yellow & repaint them yourself, which is what I was planning to do to touch up mine after removing the oxidation.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post Mar 31 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #52

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 5 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Another good thing which fortunately is national with AAA - IIRC - is getting their Premier or whatever their top "Membership" is, so you get their 200 mi & 100 mi towing coverage!

Nicely said Tom.

When I started driving between Las Vegas and Irvine, I also upped my AAA membership to include the 100 mile tow. I didn't go with the 200 mile tow as it only includes one 200 mile tow per year, and for the additional cost, it didn't seem that cost effective.

Eric
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 31 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #53

TMI....

QUOTE(ericread @ Mar 31 2010, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 5 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Nicely said Tom.

When I started driving between Las Vegas and Irvine, I also upped my AAA membership to include the 100 mile tow. I didn't go with the 200 mile tow as it only includes one 200 mile tow per year, and for the additional cost, it didn't seem that cost effective.

Eric

Eric, I started that when we used to take our kids in the 88 Westy every summer on a long trip back east or up to WA, etc. & back then they only had the 7 x 100 mi set-up per year. In 99 we blew a softball sized hole in the top of the waterboxer's case at midnight between Daggett & Zzzzyx in the middle of friggin nowhere with 2 young kids! We had to break it into 2 - 100 mile tows from there to my mechanic Hans Imports in Huntington Beach - with an overnight in Fontana. So I jumped on the next step for at least one 200 mi tow per year when it became an options.

BTW folks - another set of benefits of the upgraded AAA Plus & Premier memberships, is that now they give you a complimentary 1 day basic car rental, trip interruption insurance to cover hotel & meals if your stuck waiting for a shop to fix the car (we had 5 days/nights in lovely Kingman AZ back in 92, & a few other 1-2 nighters over the years), plus if you need to continue the trip - it covers a rental car to continue on & return to get your car later! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But note that you go out of pocket for these expenses, then have to apply for reimbursement within a short 30 or 90 day window thereafter (I missed the widow once (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) )!

So if you breakdown going to WCR or Route 66 etc., then you can at least continue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) with the gang in a rental dawg, but at least you're there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Mar 31 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #54

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Because of Tom, I took the DMV on over my '74 with Blue Plates. From the paperwork, I guess they did it YOM.

First, she said I couldn't do it because it was newer than '69 so I showed her a printout of the "new rules" (from what had been posted).

I had to do a couple of things:

1.) Had to sign a statement that I was a "Collector" of these fine German Windsuckers.
2.) Had to sign that I would not display the plates on the vehicle until approved by Sac-o-potatos.
3.) Had to sign that it was unmodified (I didn't modify it so I signed it).
4.) Have to get a VIN verification and they gave me a 30 days operating permit .
5.) I had the Pink Slip, Last Registration, both plates (last registration was 1989).

Took a little time and we'll see what Arnie says. I had already checked that the plates had not been re-assigned.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 31 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #55

TMI....

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 31 2010, 04:01 PM) *

Because of Tom, I took the DMV on over my '74 with Blue Plates. From the paperwork, I guess they did it YOM.

First, she said I couldn't do it because it was newer than '69 so I showed her a printout of the "new rules" (from what had been posted).

I had to do a couple of things:

1.) Had to sign a statement that I was a "Collector" of these fine German Windsuckers.
2.) Had to sign that I would not display the plates on the vehicle until approved by Sac-o-potatos.
3.) Had to sign that it was unmodified (I didn't modify it so I signed it).
4.) Have to get a VIN verification and they gave me a 30 days operating permit .
5.) I had the Pink Slip, Last Registration, both plates (last registration was 1989).

Took a little time and we'll see what Arnie says. I had already checked that the plates had not been re-assigned.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
I hope to hear the whole sad story at G&R - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
... hopefully with a happy ending & not a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (sheep shanking)!!!!

I cannot do my own yet cuz it ain't close to running, & I'm sure they'll want to so a personal inspectie-poo of it after sittin' in my garage since 85! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Glad to hear this info I researched for mine, is helping somebody out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:21 PM