Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Have Hewland will shift, Pics of Hewland trans install n progress
Thorshammer
post Mar 27 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,335

Just thought I might pass along these pics, someone was asking what alternative transmissions could be used in a 914. For racing I choose this dog ring Hewland. I have heard Keith Peare at Powertech in NJ has been installing Boxter transmissions.

Any one live near San Mateo, and would be willing to rattle a business owners cage for me. This guy has my parts 5 months (given me fake tracking numbers)and 900.00 of my money and no parts. E-mail me offline if your interested. Any east coast ball busters are encouraged to e-mail. Soccerrace@aol.com

Thanks,

Erik Madsen

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 27 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Any one live near San Mateo, and would be willing to rattle a business owners cage for me. This guy has my parts 5 months (given me fake tracking numbers)and 900.00 of my money and no parts. E-mail me offline if your interested. Any east coast ball busters are encouraged to e-mail. Soccerrace@aol.com

Sounds like you contact the San Mateo Police.
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 27 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #3

Called them, they could not help much. Said it was a civil matter. If this problem was here, it would not be a problem. Thanks for you input.

Erik
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 27 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #4

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Did you pay him by credit card, cheque or money order?

If by credit card, dispute the charge with your credit card company. They will charge back the amount to him and credit your card back.

If you payed by cheque or money order did you mail him payment? If you sent it thru U.S.P.S. they might investigate this as mail fraud.

As the local police won't get involved contact the state police and the state attorney general. Document who you spoke to in the San Mateo Police. As I gather your in another state, you might also involve the FBI as this seems to be interstate fraud.

CC a copy of your letters to the San Mateo police, better to let them know your not going to walk away from this and it might get some action from them. The guy answering the phone the day you called might do something if the Chief of the department asks who took the call, especially when the chief will be getting calls from other agencys on this matter.

Complaining is like doing plumbing and the first rule in plumbing is shit runs down hill.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 27 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I live in San Mateo, what exactly do you want done?
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 27 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I'm guessing that you are going to run a small motor. The MK 10 and other small Hewland boxes dont like much over 180lb ft of torque. I spent of lot time looking into this several years ago when SCCA said we could run them with a weight penality in EP/FP. I spent some face time with Craig Taylor (Taylor Race Engineering) discussing what would work with our 185/190 HP T4's. He didnt seem to think we would be happy with the amount of "work" required to maintain a Hewland.

Good luck and keep us posted it is obvious your building a VERY nice car from the parts pics you have been posting.

Get us some more info on this Boxster guy.

B
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 28 2004, 10:42 AM
Post #7

First off thanks for the offer From a fellow 914 owner in San Mateo, I have been contacted by a friend that is stopping by on Monday. Thank you will keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks for the comments Brad, I have put some money into parts, but the car is not as nice as I really want, should have bought that rust free chassis from you and started from scratch, because what I have had to do to this point was never my intention, I had purchased a running FP car in hopes of doing only a 6 cylinder swap and selling the race FP motor. The more I worked the more I found. My fault! Never buy a car from someone who says they don't know anything about the car.
I talked with Craig Taylor about the Hewland and he said the same thing, unless I wanted to install MK5 layshaft, input and gears, then he said it would last. The motor is small bore 2.0 1mm over SCCA EP car, with the recent weight reduction to 1950 lbs, it is becoming better all the time.
It does not look good for the first race but maybe the second National in my area, then I will be chasing points the rest of the year with hopes of going to the RUNOFFS. Tell Bontempi and Wicker I am sick and tired of seeing little british (no caps on purpose) cars win that frigging race. Bout time they do something (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

BTW is it possible to get that Tilton pedal photo, I have some ideas but the clearance is close on a couple areas.

Thanks,

Erik Madsen
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 28 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

You'll have to call me on Monday for the pic. I will forget and get slammed with 15 things before I get a chance to shoot the pic.

Thanks for the update.

B
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 18 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #9

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Erik,
How did the Hewland end up working out for you?
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 19 2018, 08:55 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

This is a 14 year old thread with an OP that hasn't been on here since April, I wouldn't expect a response.

If you're looking for a big bad trans take a look at Weddle, they make boxes that should bolt right up and handle anything you can throw at them.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 19 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #11

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I'll get a response, maybe not right away, but I'm patient.

Thanks for your concern, however =)
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Sep 5 2019, 06:51 AM
Post #12

Bwahaha,

I still stop in every now and then. the Hewland worked great, but you have to build an intermediary plat, to provide enough space for the clutch, flywheel etc... I make mine .500 with lips on either side to center the engine and trans. As long as you don't shift it without the clutch. a MK9 will hold up. No worries. The axles were super easy, and HD Type 1 bug CV's worked just fine. Selecting gearing and changing it at the track, in about 40 minutes, was great. But the dog ring shifting was the best. You could up-shift the thing as fast as you wanted.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 08:18 AM