Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Strange Engine Sound- Knocking type sound, with video!!!
tornik550
post Mar 4 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

I have slowly been rebuilding my 914 over the past few years. I have the engine running however it doesn't sound right to me. It seems to be making a knocking type noise that doesn't change with timing adjustments. I haven't heard the car run for awhile so I am not sure if it is a normal type 4 noise. I do not think that it is normal for a stock engine however my engine is not stock. This is the reason why it is tough for me to determine whether it is a normal sound (I have never heard it run for the new parts- or at least I don't remember hearing it).

My engine is now a 2.2l. It was a 1.7- then the previous owner upgraded it to a 2.0l. I put in a new crankshaft and now it is 2.2l (I forget exactly). I changed to chromoly pushrods (non-hydraulic lifters). The valve lash is set at 0 (I doubt it but I suppose its possible that something came loose and the lash could be off now).

The video was taken in about 30 degree (f) weather. The engine is cold. I have not ran it long enough for the engine to warm up (I only started it once today- I did let it warm last week to set the timing but I do not remember if the sound went away). I obviously do not have the muffler attached (just the heat exchangers).

Does this knocking type sound seem to be normal for chromoly pushrods or does it seem to be an issue? If a different issue, where should I look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0GyMjs6SaI
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:33 PM