Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another rear suspension idea, raising the rear trailing points
bam914
post Mar 13 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,378
Region Association: None

So there have been a few different ways people on here have raised their rear mounts. Here is my way. I will be able to adjust my roll center by shimming the pickup points on the mount. I will also be able to adjust camber separate of the roll center. I have a few more braces to make before it is all done.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ME733
post Mar 13 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

.........well BAM, what ever happened to the exhaust system you were mocking up?...It looked simple-direct -and functional.(usually a good sign something will work good).....Curious?? .........Murray
+Quote Post
bam914
post Mar 13 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #3

The exhaust worked great! It sold with the engine that was in my car. Nothing like getting 108whp and 125ft/lbs out of a "stock" FI 2.0L
+Quote Post
ME733
post Mar 14 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bam914 @ Mar 13 2010, 11:34 PM) *

The exhaust worked great! It sold with the engine that was in my car. Nothing like getting 108whp and 125ft/lbs out of a "stock" FI 2.0L

...........So are you going to make another one or two?.....intrested......M.M.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 14 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #5

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Just my non-engineer .02.
Were it me, I would put the hiem joint attach points in double shear using a C section and tie in the supports at the same level of the pivot point.
Your present set up gives the applied forces a mechanical advantage over the structure intended to hold it. Overall, I like the concept but, as is, doubt it's integrity.
+Quote Post
bam914
post Mar 14 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #6

Like I said I have not added the rest of the braces. I am putting the heims in double shear and adding a couple more braces. It should be fine. But I am no engineer, just a high school graduate.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 14 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #7

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(bam914 @ Mar 14 2010, 08:16 AM) *

Like I said I have not added the rest of the braces. I am putting the heims in double shear and adding a couple more braces. It should be fine. But I am no engineer, just a high school graduate.

The only thing that kept me from going to college was high school......so I went to the school of hard knocks for 40 odd years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

After working in various types of construction (planes & boats & trains), like to think have a good eye for how good engineers do what they do. I know you're not done so I fingered I'd get my .02 in before hand...not being critical, tho my form of attempting to help can be seen as so. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bam914
post Mar 14 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #8

I appreciate the $.02. I like getting other peoples ideas and concerns when building some of my stuff. I have thought hard about how best to brace the mount. When you see what I have planned it should not move. It already is pretty stiff just being tack welded together.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post May 3 2010, 01:19 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(bam914 @ Mar 13 2010, 07:05 PM) *

So there have been a few different ways people on here have raised their rear mounts. Here is my way. I will be able to adjust my roll center by shimming the pickup points on the mount. I will also be able to adjust camber separate of the roll center. I have a few more braces to make before it is all done.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

The rear suspension on the 914 has never been an issue. Go back and look at all the old IMSA racers. They left the rear pretty much alone with the exception of stiffiners. The key to roll center on the 914 is the front suspension. No different than 911's. 935 style aka ERP is the ticket.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post May 3 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ May 2 2010, 11:19 PM) *

The rear suspension on the 914 has never been an issue. Go back and look at all the old IMSA racers. They left the rear pretty much alone with the exception of stiffiners. The key to roll center on the 914 is the front suspension. No different than 911's. 935 style aka ERP is the ticket.

That is not entirely accurate. The rear suspension has always been a problem. The front and rear suspensions roll in different directions, the toe curves are radically different thus contributing to weird handling in race trim. The rear suspension is weak and goes from bad to worse when you stick big race rubber on it.

All of the top running IMSA cars move the rear suspension points up, the back markers left them alone.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:02 AM