Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT Anyone ever bought a car through ebay motors, seller says money stays in escrow and car wil be delivered
angerosa
post Mar 24 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,023
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It sounds really fishy. Seller has the vin number and a lot of pictures. Price is too low for what it is. He says car will be delivered to my house, I have 5 days to test drive and I can reject if it is not what was promised. Money stays in escrow with ebay until I release funds. A lot of weird reasons why I can't see it before. he says he started to send the car to the previous purchaser but his loan didn't go through so it's stuck in transit warehouse in Naperville, IL so I can't do a pre-inspection. Car originates from Denver. Just red flags all over the place.

I know the old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I'm looking for someone who has bought a car through e-bay and done this ebay escrow thing or ever heard of it.

Car in question is a too clean, 1989 911 turbo for $17,750 with 100K miles. Says it runs like new, leaks no oil and never been in am accident. Going price for this car is at least $30K but you all know that already. Oh yeah and it's a convertible.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 24 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Never heard of eBay having an escrow account but why not set one up through First American or another company that will only release the funds once you receive the title for the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Mar 24 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #3

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

RUN, run very far away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 24 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #4

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(angerosa @ Mar 24 2010, 04:08 PM) *

It sounds really fishy. Seller has the vin number and a lot of pictures. Price is too low for what it is. He says car will be delivered to my house, I have 5 days to test drive and I can reject if it is not what was promised. Money stays in escrow with ebay until I release funds. A lot of weird reasons why I can't see it before.

Another variation on a standard scam.
Report it as fraud to EBay, apologize later if it turns out to be legit...

Too much money not to do a PPI no matter what.

I've seen ads that claim there's no risk 'because the transaction is insured' -- IOW - there is no deal, it's just an insurance scam...

I've bought a car through EBay. It was close enough for us to go get it and walk if it was bad. Took a certified check in case it checked out. It did - Joy's driving it today.

I wouldn't trust an escrow deal unless you set it up through your bank. I wouldn't know how to check out an escrow company...

I bet we can find someone in Chicago who can go see the car - if it's there. I ain't holding my breath...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 24 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/escrow.html

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seebobgo
post Mar 24 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,273

QUOTE(angerosa @ Mar 24 2010, 12:08 PM) *

It sounds really fishy. Seller has the vin number and a lot of pictures. Price is too low for what it is. He says car will be delivered to my house, I have 5 days to test drive and I can reject if it is not what was promised. Money stays in escrow with ebay until I release funds. A lot of weird reasons why I can't see it before. he says he started to send the car to the previous purchaser but his loan didn't go through so it's stuck in transit warehouse in Naperville, IL so I can't do a pre-inspection. Car originates from Denver. Just red flags all over the place.

I know the old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I'm looking for someone who has bought a car through e-bay and done this ebay escrow thing or ever heard of it.

Car in question is a too clean, 1989 911 turbo for $17,750 with 100K miles. Says it runs like new, leaks no oil and never been in am accident. Going price for this car is at least $30K but you all know that already. Oh yeah and it's a convertible.

I have bought a few cars on the bay...rule 1 look at it first...rule 2 look at it first
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Mar 24 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,486

There is no question that is an absolute scam!!!!!!
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 24 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #8

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So what if it is meant to be a scam... Beat them at it. Set up Escrow through a company you know and trust and make the terms clear that they are not to release the money until all terms are met. If the seller is unwilling to do it this way than he is most certainly trying to pull one one you.
+Quote Post
ericread
post Mar 24 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #9

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 24 2010, 01:33 PM) *

There is no question that is an absolute scam!!!!!!

Maybe... But if you're really convinced this is OK, please use "Eric's Escrow service. I run it out of the trunk of my car, so you know it's relaible. BTW; just send me the cash in a FedEx container, I will take care of everything else.... really.....

Eric Read

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 24 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #10

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

If they agree to use what Andy posted, the Ebay official escrow site, then that part is likely ok. But, why would you buy a car without seeing it first? That is nuts. Too fishey.

I bought my Vue off of ebay for about $10K off of blue book (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 24 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #11

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Oh ya, I am sure we have someone in that area that could swing buy and look at it. Get an address for the place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Lets have fun with the guy if he is not legit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Find out which company, call to see if there is that car there. Tell the seller you just happen to have a friend that works at that warehouse.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Mar 24 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #12

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(angerosa @ Mar 24 2010, 01:08 PM) *

Why would you even ask about this? I can't imagine a more obvious scam. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Mar 24 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #13

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 24 2010, 02:43 PM) *

Oh ya, I am sure we have someone in that area that could swing buy and look at it. Get an address for the place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Lets have fun with the guy if he is not legit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Find out which company, call to see if there is that car there. Tell the seller you just happen to have a friend that works at that warehouse.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Awhile back I saw a website that messed with Nigerian scammers by making them do ridiculous things in order to get anywhere. One of them sent a sculpture to try to get a fake art grant that the potential scamee had concocted in order to scam back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 24 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #14

rich herzog

QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 24 2010, 05:51 PM) *

Awhile back I saw a website that messed with Nigerian scammers by making them do ridiculous things in order to get anywhere. One of them sent a sculpture to try to get a fake art grant that the potential scamee had concocted in order to scam back.

Such as: How To Scam The Scammers
+Quote Post
angerosa
post Mar 24 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #15

I'm looking into the ebay escrow thing. I've e-mailed him back for a working phone number and asked him where he is located. I'm trying to get more information about exactly where the car is. This is totally a scam. I'm pretty sure he wants to set up the escrow account. I'm pressing him. He hasn't written me back yet.

Anyone have carfax?
WP0EB093XKS070514
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 24 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(angerosa @ Mar 24 2010, 03:41 PM) *

Anyone have carfax?
WP0EB093XKS070514

No, but i have Google. Looks like the car has been for sale a lot ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=WP0EB093XKS...lient=firefox-a

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
angerosa
post Mar 24 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #17

yup - that's the car in the pictures!
+Quote Post
etcmss
post Mar 24 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #18

etcmss

Member No.: 5,899
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You serious about the car? I'm about 30 miles from Naperville, Ill.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 24 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #19

rich herzog

I have every confidence the car is _not_ in a storage company in Naperville. There will be some reason why it can't be seen. "Safety regulations." "Insurance Requirements." "The only guy with the key is on vacation in Uzbekistan."
+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 24 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #20

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

I've bought cars on ebay. In fact my first ebay purchase was my current 993 cab back in 2002.

Bought probably 5-10 of them when I owned Exclusive Motors. And yes...we got scammed once. Sent a deposit on a car that was 'too good to be true'. Turns out, so did about 10 other people....and nobody ever saw the car.

Rule #1: DO NOT BUY IT unless you can see and drive it first - in person.
Rule #2: See rule #1
Rule #3: talk to the seller a lot, get more pictures, ask questions, and definitely get a PPI. If he refuses, run away. That Turbo could cost you twice what he's 'asking' to fix.
Rule #4: See rule #1 again.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:59 PM