Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 Radiator Sources
kyracedog
post Mar 31 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,151

Ok V8 guys, what type of radiators did you use? I know Renegade sells a kit that works, but $1100 is a budget buster. Already have the dual fans to use, so don't need them.

Looking for ideas/suggestions/sources.
Thanks.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Mar 31 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #2

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112
Region Association: None

for my turbo V6 I'm running one out of a stratus/cirrus from about 96/97 ish. The gates hose fit okay on the upper and lower tubes, too.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 31 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I have a Griffen aluminum, leaned back with a custom shroud. I have bought aluminum radiators from ebay before, well built and low $. I would never pay $1100 for a radiator. spend $200 and you will be happy. Just make shure you direct the air through it and not around it.
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Mar 31 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #4

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Renegade is expensive, yes. But they've done a bunch of reasearch. You'll need more radiator than if it was in a front enging car or truck, so don't undersize. Getting a unit with enough cooling area in the space between the lights is not easy to find. We used to think more rows were better, but it's harder to pass air through 4 rows than three. The newer units use larger tubes and fins that disapate heat better. Getting the air out is more important than getting it in, so puller fans the bigger the better.
All that being said, if you're going to be in a warm climate and want to run A/C, you might copy what Renegade has done or bite the bullet and pop for a system that will work well. Especially if you're going with alluminum heads, you don't want to overheat those suckers.
B
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 31 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #5

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 31 2010, 09:31 PM) *

I have a Griffen aluminum, leaned back with a custom shroud. I have bought aluminum radiators from ebay before, well built and low $. I would never pay $1100 for a radiator. spend $200 and you will be happy. Just make shure you direct the air through it and not around it.

Same here, I used a big griffen.

(note this is mock up pictures)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1093922830.jpg)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Apr 1 2010, 02:08 AM
Post #6

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

ron davis, Fluidyne double pass
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Apr 1 2010, 02:50 AM
Post #7

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Member No.: 596

I got my radiator custom made from Griffin. Renegade uses a double cross flow radiator so that the inlet and outlet are on the same side. Mine is a 2 core but would definitely go 3 core and make it shorter next time. I have had a little trouble with cooling but I think it's mostly due to air bubbles. I also think that I get a cycling of the thermostat opening and closing causing my temp to fluctuate but last time I ran the car everything was perfect. Good luck.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Radiator.pdf ( 17.65k ) Number of downloads: 50
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 1 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #8

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Go Renegade....
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Apr 1 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

A couple of good radiators to use for the 914 are from Afco and C&R racing.
The afco 80133n is stocked by Summit racing and cost about $250
Attached Image
This is the C&R modified and can be ordered direct from them. A little higher at $325 or so the last time I checked. It comes with a screw in intake hose for the high pressure side. They will also custom build this for any size you need for a little more.
Attached Image

Also a good source for the Fans and shroud is a set up from the last Chrysler front wheel drive New Yorkers. These have a dual fan set up on a nice shroud that is a easy mod to fit any radiator. One of the fan motors have a low and high speed winding. Easy to find at the pick and pulls for $20
+Quote Post
andys
post Apr 1 2010, 09:35 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

I'm using the 80133N from Afco. Nice because it has the filler deleted. It was originally designed for an ASA car.

Andys
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Apr 1 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #11

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(smrz914 @ Apr 1 2010, 01:50 AM) *

I also think that I get a cycling of the thermostat opening and closing causing my temp to fluctuate

Several water cooled guys I've met do not run thermostats. Is this because of the "fluctuating" mentioned? I assumed the fluctuating was more about the fans cycling on and off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Apr 1 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #12

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Member No.: 596

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 1 2010, 09:02 AM) *

I also think that I get a cycling of the thermostat opening and closing causing my temp to fluctuate

Several water cooled guys I've met do not run thermostats. Is this because of the "fluctuating" mentioned? I assumed the fluctuating was more about the fans cycling on and off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I tried that but it took forever for the engine to heat up, and that is no fun on a cold day.
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Apr 1 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,590

I'm using a Griffin Scirocco Aluminum radiator

http://www.phoenixhobbies.com/html/cooling.html

Paul
+Quote Post
JJ914GT
post Apr 1 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,386
Region Association: Europe

Radiator from a Peugeot Diesel:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Apr 1 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,611
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JJ914GT @ Apr 1 2010, 04:24 PM) *

Radiator from a Peugeot Diesel:
Attached Image

Ohhhh, there's an idea. Now we just have to find a Peugeot Diesel over here to pull the radiator out of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I eventually plan on doing hard pipes like the ones you have.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 1 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #16

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 1 2010, 09:02 AM) *

My temp cycles too. 150 while driving, 180 sitting still. My fan does not come on below 180. I wish I could keep it at 180 all the time.
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Apr 1 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #17

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391

[/quote]

there's something called a high flow thermostat, it has small bypass holes around outer edges that allow a little flow so the coolant doesn't have to cycle so often... seems to work better.
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Oct 9 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #18

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920

..... Also a good source for the Fans and shroud is a set up from the last Chrysler front wheel drive New Yorkers. These have a dual fan set up on a nice shroud that is a easy mod to fit any radiator. One of the fan motors have a low and high speed winding. Easy to find at the pick and pulls for $20
[/quote]

At this point I think I'm going to purchase the AFCO 80133N radiator. I believe there is an advantage to the double pass radiator not having a filler neck and having the drain petcock at the very top.

Will the Chrysler fan setup fit on the AFCO radiator? Do you know how many CFM the fan setup flows?

Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Oct 9 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #19

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(kyracedog @ Mar 31 2010, 07:44 PM) *

Ok V8 guys, what type of radiators did you use? I know Renegade sells a kit that works, but $1100 is a budget buster. Already have the dual fans to use, so don't need them.

Thanks.

Hey Kyracedog,

I've been running my 914 V8 on-track for some 7 years. It has a 500 HP 383
and I've been running a SUMMIT RACING $160 aluminum Camaro radiator
(SUM-380331). It is 31" x 19" and with a little hammer "massaging" fits nicely between the head light boxes.

It is a single pass radiator and according to my engineer bud, gives MAX efficiency by presenting the Highest Delta-T to the airflow (the hotter the water presented to cooling air, the more efficient the heat exchange). With a dual pass, the 1st pass is efficient, but the 2nd pass is cooler and less efficient.

I'm afraid I know Scottie all too well at Renegade and there is NO engineering talent there. They don't know how to do "research." They don't make any of their parts for the conversion kits and when my engineer bud visited the Las Vegas shop, found nothing but an open bay and hand tools. Their work is "back yard mechanic", at best. Scottie bought the company from the original founder and is just "turning the crank" to make $$.....IMO. Scottie's "profession" before Renegade was as a Disc Jockey.

As a rule of thumb, if your conversion is modest power, 300 - 400 HP, you can probably be OK with venting the radiator air through the fender wells as most do.
However, if you are going 400HP+or live in a hot climate (I run at Willow Springs in the HOT upper desert of SOCAL), I found out the "hard-way" (or would you call that "Research?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) that venting out through the hood is THE ANSWER. I posted my finding on the paddock forum a few months back.
Regardless, be sure to CONTROL the airflow with ducting to assure ALL goes through the radiator.

I my experiences can help you,
Terry

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Oct 9 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #20

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920

QUOTE(stewteral @ Oct 9 2010, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(kyracedog @ Mar 31 2010, 07:44 PM) *

Thanks.

Hey Kyracedog,

I've been running my 914 V8 on-track for some 7 years. It has a 500 HP 383
and I've been running a SUMMIT RACING $160 aluminum Camaro radiator
(SUM-380331). It is 31" x 19" and with a little hammer "massaging" fits nicely between the head light boxes.

It is a single pass radiator and according to my engineer bud, gives MAX efficiency by presenting the Highest Delta-T to the airflow (the hotter the water presented to cooling air, the more efficient the heat exchange). With a dual pass, the 1st pass is efficient, but the 2nd pass is cooler and less efficient.

I'm afraid I know Scottie all too well at Renegade and there is NO engineering talent there. They don't know how to do "research." They don't make any of their parts for the conversion kits and when my engineer bud visited the Las Vegas shop, found nothing but an open bay and hand tools. Their work is "back yard mechanic", at best. Scottie bought the company from the original founder and is just "turning the crank" to make $$.....IMO. Scottie's "profession" before Renegade was as a Disc Jockey.

As a rule of thumb, if your conversion is modest power, 300 - 400 HP, you can probably be OK with venting the radiator air through the fender wells as most do.
However, if you are going 400HP+or live in a hot climate (I run at Willow Springs in the HOT upper desert of SOCAL), I found out the "hard-way" (or would you call that "Research?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) that venting out through the hood is THE ANSWER. I posted my finding on the paddock forum a few months back.
Regardless, be sure to CONTROL the airflow with ducting to assure ALL goes through the radiator.

I my experiences can help you,
Terry

I think I understand the part about the Delta T of the air moving past the fins and cooling tubes (or is that the Delta T of the coolant). But how does it (the cooling effect) become less efficient when the coolant essentially passes though the radiator twice... say if the single pass and the double pass radiators are both 2 core? Does it have to do with the rate of change (Delta T). Also, how does the frontal area of the raiator come into play? I read that to get that number, you multiply the CID of the engine by 1.5.... so a 350 would need about 525 sq. inches of frontal radiator area.

It does sound like that if a single pass cross-flow radiator works for your 500hp setup, it should work for my 250hp setup. What type of fans are you using?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:29 PM