Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shipping my RS America To Europe, Going to Le Mans and a 4 month drive around Europe
Silverstreak
post May 21 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #41

Edmund J. Fournier #36

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,552
Region Association: South East States

Good for you... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
But seriously, that'd be a dream come true.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 22 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #42

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Amazing story so far and your adventures have barely begun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Keep us updated and post plenty of photos, and don't forget to take a spin through Switzerland if you have time. I highly recommend Interlaken to Stechelberg! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post May 24 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 2,461

Well, I left London and headed for Felixstowe. It took me only 3 hours, I was expecting all day. I caught the trains perfectly. When I got to Felixstowe, I went to the cab stand to get one to the Hotel Elizabeth Orwell. The cab driver chuckled and said, “Why don’t you walk, you can see it from here, it’s on the other side of the Co-op.

So I walked. Nice place. Has a very large picture of the Queen in the reception area, impressive. The hotel staff has already been very helpful.
I received both good news and bad news today. Here’s the bad news, let’s get it out of the way. I’ve been checking the ships website every other day or so, and it’s been saying arrival in Felixstowe on May 25th. I sent them an email the other day detailing my arrival date, hotel, and other contact information. I received a reply today, the earliest I can pick up the RSA might be the 27th, maybe. Worst case, I’ll be here in Felixstowe until June 1st or 2nd. That’s the end of the bad news.

Good news is I was able to extend my stay at the hotel until June 2nd. They also realize I might and to be gone before then, so they said they wouldn’t hold me to the late cancellation fee if I do get to pick her up and leave earlier. They’ve also been great about receiving and faxing custom forms to the shippers for me.

So I might be here in Felixstowe for a week or so. I had originally planned on a week here and even had reservations for that, then canceled them for 6 days in London first. I might have to cancel my reservations at Stonehenge and Canterbury, oh well, so it goes. I should know something in the next day or two. So I’ll just wait and see.

After I checked in, cleaned up and went for a walk to beach. It was pretty nice, also picked up a couple more things for the trip, including a book store, bought a few books, might have time to read them.

So what’s on the schedule tomorrow, laundry, found a Laundromat while walking around, so exciting, and wait for word on the RSA. It’s gonna happen, I just don’t know when.

That’s all for now.

Take care,, Don
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post May 28 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #44

5/28/10

I've Got Her

Made it back to the hotel after filling the tank. They did a great job, everythings there. Now to check tire pressures and get her ready for the road.

Need to call hotels for reservations too.

Later, Don

5/28/10 addendum

Well, she’s all checked out and cleaned up, ready to go tomorrow morning to Stonehenge. I won’t be staying overnight there. I was able to get my reservations back in Canterbury. Set up the GPS, Stonehenge is about 170 miles from here. So I might be checking in late in Canterbury.

After I got her ready, went and did laundry again. When I drove over and parked her, she was across the street from an Auto repair shop. I went and put the laundry in the machine, came back and she’d drawn the attention of the guys in the shop, 5-6 guys standing around her, gotta love that, right Keith. While we were talking, another guy drove up in a 997 Turbo, beautiful car. It made waiting for the laundry go by much faster.

I’m sitting in the parking lot on my little camp chair right now, putting this email together and uploading the pictures from the Imorex Bonded Warehouse where I took delivery. They waited until I showed up to open the container, then let me drive her out of the container down the ramp. I was concerned that the battery might be low or dead, she’s been sitting for almost 6 weeks now. She fired right up, no hesitation at all. The only thing she needed was some air in the tires and the Porsche Air Compressor worked great, they were all down about 3-4 psi.

For you guys back in the states, when I filled her up, it came to 66.90 pounds, that’s about $100 US or more. I did budget for that.

Just finished uploaded the Felixstowe delivery pictures, enjoy.

Take Care, Don

For the pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20206812@N07/
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 28 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #45

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Gotta love it when a plan comes together!
+Quote Post
kharma
post May 28 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 8,328
Region Association: North East States

Love this thread already, and you are just truly getting started! Looking forward to more... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post May 28 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #47

OMG
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 28 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #48

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(kharma @ May 28 2010, 03:18 PM) *

Love this thread already, and you are just truly getting started! Looking forward to more... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Gotta love the UK! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So tell us, what Porsche paint color was the 997 Turbo? Did it complement the RS America? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post May 28 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #49

OMG, this weekend is the 70th aniversary of the Dunkirk evacuation in WWII, they're having a Black Tie Ball here tonight. So who goes walking through the crowd wearing a 914 T-shirt, shorts and flip flops, yep you guessed it. The looks.

Sometimes I just have a knack for stepping in it.
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post May 28 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #50

Unregistered

Don,

You are living my dream.

Keep up the good work (play).

Cheers,

Eddie
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post May 29 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #51

5/29/10

Today was just so cool. So how cool was it, hit numerous traffic jams and just smiled.

Left Felixstowe a little after 8am, heading for Stonehenge. I hit rain after being on the A12 for about an hour. Then rain the rest of the day. Got within about 10 miles of Stonehenge, 1st gear the rest of he way. I pulled off for gas before I got there, got back on the A303, 1st gear again. I was thinking,”are all these people going to Stonehenge?” No, I have no idea where they were going, but the backup continued way past Stonehenge, like as far as you could see. I was glad to be out of it.

So there was rain at Stonehenge. It wasn’t hard, just a drizzle. Maybe because of that it wasn’t too crowded. So I paid for parking and entry, only 10 pounds. Hey, I got the senior discount, whoa, never thought I’d last that long. I took a lot of pictures, 40+. I don’t know when I’ll be able to upload them.

That T mobile thingy has a maximum upload/download of 3 gigs. I maxed it already with pictures and stuff. Here’s the screwy part, that’s a per month maximum, they won’t sell you any extra until after 30 days. Then they’ll sell you another 3 gig. So even if I buy another one, uploading 40+ 5-6mb pictures will wipe it out quick again. Here’s the next surprise, the hotel just upgraded their wifi, so now it’s not free, it’s 4.95 pounds per hour and can only be connected with in the bar, cough. They did suggest that there’s a McDonalds and Starbucks close by with free wifi. So I’ll try that, might be able to upload a few at a time. It will let you surf, email, and stuff for the rest of the month, just no uploads or downloads. Hey, that beats 4.95 an hours at the bar.

The next surprise, yesterday the hotel confirmed my new reservation. When I got here, I was told, we can only provide a room for one night. But they did make reservations at another hotel for me at the same rate. Oh yeah, they don’t have an elevator either. So I unloaded the RSA and let them carry all the bags and bicycle up the stairs. Thank God for that, I’d be half dead if I’d had to carry all of the stuff up 3 flights of stairs. I’m going to let them carry them back down the stairs too tomorrow morning. Getting old does have some advantages.

I drove the RSA over 325 miles today, most of it in the rain. I like driving in the rain, it takes more skill to drive safely and avoid the other drivers. I saw 4 accidents today and one spin out on the M3. I don’t think anyone got hurt at any of them. Drivers and passengers were just standing around looking depressed,

I really like the GPS I bought in London, it got me to Stonehenge and Canterbury. It’s got all this new stuff my 5 year old one in the States doesn’t. Think it’ll be time for a new one when I get back.

So overall, it’s been a great wonderful day. The RSA ran perfect, didn’t miss a beat. She did start to get a little hotter than I like, so when I stopped for gas around Stonehenge, I pulled the fan relay and hooked up the manual switch operation that I put in years ago to help her cool down after coming off the track. After that, what heat.

The Charger for my Cell Phone died, so I need to find a car charger. So please no calls unless it’s an emergency, it’s already just about dead. Trip maintenance.

I’ve got a couple of questions for the UK guys.

What is a Variable Speed Zone? Does that mean traffic flow or traffic density or something?

Traffic Cameras. I ran into a lot of them today. The GPS would alert me and I’d do whatever it said, however when I did that I was usually getting passed, sometimes like I was standing still. The question is, what’s the fudge factor, how fast over the limit before it takes your picture and they send you those nasty bills with points.
I’d rather not support the government that way. They’d just waste it anyway.

I got a email from someone, brains a bit foggy right now, saying something about a notice or something about me was posted in the PCGB monthly magazine. My copy is on it’s way to San Diego, checked the PCGB website, you guy don’t post the magazine online do you? Would someone let me know what’s going on? I’d appreciate it.

Let clear up something that’s starting to bug me. I’ve been emailed a few times about writing a couple of articles and maybe even a book about this trip. Ya know, that sounds great on paper and it is flattering that someone would actually want to hear something I’ve got to say beyond emails. If any of that happens it’s going to be after the trip is completed and I and my RSA are back home, nor will I drive 3-4 hours one way so someone can take pictures of my RSA. Hey, if we meet up, that’s fine, but I will not turn this trip into work.
I have invested too much time, effort, and money to let anything get in the way of this once in a lifetime trip.
Nuff said.

Well, that’s it for today, I’m going to go find the Starbucks and McDonalds and just look around a bit. I’ll admit I’m tired; but it’s such a nice tired, it’s going to be an early night.

Don
+Quote Post
pillay2k
post May 29 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 8,136
Region Association: England

Nice, looks like you are having a fun trip over here. I was at the University of Bath for 5 years and did the A303 past Stonehenge and M3 towards London quite a few times. A303 is usually quiet, except the 'henge bit where it narrows and everybody rubbernecks to look at some stones!

Variable Speed Zone on motorways usually means overhead signs displaying the speed limit for rain or accident/ blockage ahead, obey on the M25 as they are camera enforced to the limit shown in most places!

Annoyingly they are often left on even when the road is clear.

When no speed is shown on the gantry cameras are off and just travel at the general traffic pace. Which can get very naught on some roads...

Generally cameras give you 10% but 30 and 40 limit cameras i give more respect.

One more is do not speed in France, it is an expensive past time!!

p.s. just read through the post properly... I will be at Le Mans in my bright orange 914!! i will look out for you! Its an experience and a half...
+ If you are ever going to be around the East Sussex coast (google map TN33 0NH) there will be a cup of tea and car chat waiting ;-)
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post May 30 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #53

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Woohoo!

subscribed, keep the updates coming, what a trip!

Jim
+Quote Post
jwhcars
post May 31 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 7,563

Wow what a fantastic trip you have planned. May all things go better than you planned.Have fun and I am looking forward to your updates.
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post May 31 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #55

5/31/10

What a day, just great. Much more than I even imagined.

I’m staying at the Falstaff Hotel (1st built in 1403, wow) here in Canterbury. I like it much better than the Chaucer Hotel. One reason, I was given a ground floor room, they don’t have elevators either. The room is twice the size and the Canterbury West Gate is right outside my window, the windows are partially stained glass too. Parking is nicer and the lot is much larger. The lot is sort of like an inner courtyard, has a gate that you need to enter a code into to get out, the lot and gate are also covered by CCTV cameras. At the Chaucer, they had maybe 10 spots, small spots. Breakfast is a buffet style here verses ordered. Last but not least is FREEE
Hi Speed Internet. So I got all the pictures uploaded today, and I took a lot of pictures today.

I left the hotel at around 8:30am and walked to the Canterbury Cathedral. The Cathedral was incredible, to say I was awe struck doesn’t begin to tell the story. As I walked through the gate, the first thing I said was, OMG, then when I went through the door, it was one WOW or OMG after another. The stained glass was just beautiful, and while you’re trying to take it all in, you realize this was all built over 1000 years ago. If part of the design was designed to humble you, it certainly will. The main floor, crypt, cloisters, vaulted ceilings, towering columns, are just incredible. While I was in the Monks Cloisters, the docent there was kind enough to try to explain each panel of the Stained Glass to me, and how each panel told a story, history. By the time they were half finished, I said I should have gone to the gift store first, to buy a book that would explain it all to me before I saw the windows. I did go to the Gift Shop and they did have a book about the Stained Glass windows, but I think they call it a Coffee Table Book, really big, just don’t have the room for it right now. Once you go into the Gift Shop, you cannot go back into the Cathedral, the sign that tells you that is inside and once the auto doors close that’s it. Before I knew it, it was after 11am. I’m going back tomorrow, there is no way you can see it in just a couple of hours. I’ll read up on the Cathedral online tonight.

From there I went to Canterbury Tales, it was ok, but it’s possible that it was just ok is because I’d just left the Cathedral. It’s pretty much like set scenes. The sign on the outside says, Bold Knights, Men in Tights, and Medieval Misadventures. The scenes were all meant to bring a laugh. I’m glad I went.

The next stop was the Roman Museum and Ruins. It was quite impressive looking at all the Roman artifacts from BC. There are also the excavated foundations for a couple of homes. At one exhibit there was a Roman Soldiers Helmet with a sign saying, “Try it On”, so I did. I didn’t realize how goofy I looked until I uploaded the pictures. One of the really interesting facts is the Museum is about 15-20 underground, Canterbury is built on top of the ruins.

. I found the Tourist Office today. I was surprised to find out, that there are no tours available to see the rest of Canterbury. The only tours offered are walking tours of the city center. So this sounds like a job for the bicycle.
There is a boating tour that I’ll go on tomorrow. It’s called a Punting Tour on the river Stour, ok, fine by me.

I’d like to go on a tour of the West Gate, but it’s only offered on Saturday’s from 11am to 12:30pm. Better be fast for that one.

After all that, my feet were saying, it’s time for a break, so I headed back to the hotel. So took a break and headed back out just sightseeing. There is so much to see here, so much history.

That’s about all for now.

Don

+Quote Post
Gint
post May 31 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #56

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That's fantastic Don. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I'm going to add a link to your photos in your last post.
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 31 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #57

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Amazing Don (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) ! What a trip
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 1 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #58

I went back the Canterbury Cathedral this morning, spent another 3+ hours there. It still took my breath away and I was able to see a lot of things that I missed yesterday. I was in the Church Treasure Room down in the Crypt and asked the Docent a question about how they keep all the silver from tarnishing, next thing I know, I’m getting the full tour. He showed me each piece and gave me the history that went with it. The oldest piece was a pocket sundial; it had individual holes for each month for the indicator pin to go into. It was over 1500 years old and they’d figured out the sun, months, and seasons well enough to make it, amazing. I took a lot more pictures today and uploaded them to the Flickr site.

After going to the Cathedral, I found the Canterbury Museum. Just finding it took about a hour, the street sign said it was on one street, but I finally found it about 2 street over. Its exhibits go all the way back to Roman times. I tried to take some pictures, but the flash from the camera sort of ruined a lot of them. I finally just turned the flash off, or just put my finger over it, seems to have worked ok. It was well worth the visit.

When I came out of the Museum, the rain that was forecast for today had arrived. So it was back to the hotel for rain gear.

After picking up the rain gear I went back out and saw a sign that said a Norman Castle was down this street, so off I went. On the way I passed a Church with a cemetery, not sure how long it’d been there, but the names and dates on most of the gravestones had weathered away. I got to the end of the road and still hadn’t found the Norman Castle, so decided to take a different street back and there it was. It is completely un-restored and falling down, there were signs all around the exterior warning you to stay away from the walls because of falling stones. As I entered the gate to the courtyard, I heard voices. I walked across the courtyard to read the information display and turned around, there were about 6 teenagers going out the gate. After going around the courtyard I climbed the stairs to get a better view. When I entered the stairwell, I smelled the distinct odor of grass. I started laughing, seems I’d disturbed the party.

It was still raining so I passed on the boat ride on the river. Put that on the list for tomorrow.

I have to admit I like the stares the RS America is getting, not sure if it’s the car or the California Plates, both have received pretty much the same amounts of comments. When they ask about the Plates, I just say, I knew I should have turned left, it’s good for a quick laugh.

That’s all for now. Don
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jun 2 2010, 09:01 AM
Post #59

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

Love this Don... you are living one of my dreams!

Keep updating as often as you can.
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 3 2010, 04:35 AM
Post #60

Well yesterday was just a beautiful day in the neighborhood. The rain had passed, the sun was out. It time to do some traveling. Used a Water Blade to dry off the RSA, then the road.

I first went to Upnor Castle; it was about 40 miles away. It was in 1667 that the Dutch attacked the ships and Castle; they sank 3 English Men of War. Then because they were caught in a crossfire between Upnor Castle and a Battery on the opposite bank withdrew. They had a still life with lights that described the battle. Here’s were I didn’t agree with it. The audio display said the Dutch won, but they never came ashore, landed any troops, sank 3 ships was about it. To me that means they lost, the defenders drove them off.

It was pretty interesting. There was one display that showed the powder monkeys moving the barrels of powder to the upper levels where the guns were. The way they did it was pretty cool. They tied the rope to the barrel and jumped out the window. Their weight counterweighted the barrel and took it right to the top of the batteries.
I assume them knew where to grab the rope so that they landed on the deck below gently, no broken legs.

While I was walking around, this lady and her son came up to me. She said her son really liked the RSA. I looked at him and told him he can have one, all he needs to do is work for it. The lady smiled and said, thank you for saying that, that's what his father and I have been telling him about everything. Cool, my good deed of the day.

After Upnor Castle I programmed the GPS for Rochester Castle, one of the best preserved Norman Castles. It was big and tall. At the door it had a sign saying it was over 200 steps to the top most battlements. They weren’t kidding. The steps were very worn, and steep, but they’d installed handrails. So off to the top I went. They view was spectacular. When I was walking around the battlements looking down, I spotted the RS America perfectly framed way down below by the trees, had to take a couple pictures of her. If I’d parked 10 feet either way, would have missed the photo opportunity. By the time I’d finished exploring Rochester Castle the feet were saying enough.

So it was back to the RSA and head out of town. So far the driving’s going OK, the only problem I’m having is getting used to the roundabouts. There was quite a few that had two lanes. I always tried to stay in the left lane of those, at one of them a guy who was alongside in the right lane decided he wanted one of the exits, cut right across me, I stood on the brakes, put the RSA on her nose. I expect that’ll get better as I get more used to them.

I got to Canterbury and then went for the Riverboat ride. It was pretty nice; the oarsman gave us all a nice history lesson about Canterbury and the river.

Went out for a morning drive this morning, just headed out of Canterbury. Everything was going pretty good until I went over a block of concrete sticking up out of the road. It was one of those holy crap what was that moments. Didn’t hurt anything, but they started showing up about every ¼ mile, took the rest of them slow and with only one side of the RSA. After driving through the countryside, started heading back on a different road, I wanted to avoid those things.

I stopped for gas and to vacuum out the RSA. While I vacuuming her, a guy named Kip (sp) stopped behind me. The first thing he said, “You’re the guy from California, and I’ve heard about you from the PCGB, I have a 993 RS. I saw your car as I drove by, then noticed the California Plates, I had to turn around and meet you.” I was pleasantly surprised and we had a nice talk.

I leave Canterbury tomorrow and head for Morton on Marsh for the PCGB open house on Sunday. Today will be just a relaxing day, get everything organized to fit back in the RSA tomorrow morning. I’m going to try and leave early so I can visit a few more sights on the way to Morton on Marsh. So far I’ve picked out Tonbridge Castle, Leeds Castle, and Dover Castle. That should make for a pretty full day.

A friend asked me if the Flickr website supported Slide Shows, didn’t know, but found out. So if anyone has the same question, here’s how.
Go to the site

Click on any picture, it will open to a larger version of the picture.

Look to the right it'll say don_traver's photostream, under that it will show a picture and just to the right of that it will say how many pictures have been uploaded. Just underneath the number of pictures uploaded it will have a little TV like screen, put your arrow on it, it will say, "view as slideshow". Double click, and it's on.

The adventure continues, Don
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 03:50 AM