Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shipping my RS America To Europe, Going to Le Mans and a 4 month drive around Europe
Vysoc
post Jun 6 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #61

Vysoc

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Don,

Just checking it's been 3 days since we have heard from you...are the nice folks in Great Britian embracing you???

Looking forward to LeMans and the experience.

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pillay2k
post Jun 7 2010, 02:54 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 8,136
Region Association: England

Don,

Dont forget to add these two to your trip to Dover or on the way back, both within 5 miles of my house (we live in Battle!!)

Bodiam Castle (Top 3 in the country)

Battle Abbey and Battlefield

Hope all is going well,

Fabian
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 7 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 2,461

Ok, so much has happened over the past two days. Went to the Porsche Club Great Britain’s Open House. When I arrived I was warming greeted and they even had some small gifts, completely unexpected. They gave me the grand tour of their facility and I have to say I was impressed. The RS America was a hit and I was asked to park it in front of the facility next to Dave Newton’s beautiful 2.7l RS engined 914-6. After all the picture taking I moved the RSA to another parking spot. Because the 914 group was on their way and PCGB wanted to set up photo shots of some the 914’s in front of the facility. I took lots of pictures of them too.

And the answer to Keith V’s question is yes, I wore the RS America shirt to the Open House.

While talking with Dave Newton and his wife, they told me about the Le Mans Classic races in France during July. It sounded a lot like the Monterey Historics, but according to them and others who’d been to the Historics even better. Unfortunately it’s completely booked, but we traded email addresses. If anyone cancels, I’ll get the spot. July’s still completely open, I can do that. It would mean I would have to travel all the way across Germany on the Autobahn back to France. Oh the pain, the pain.

Around 12pm, the 914’s started rolling in, I stopped counting at 43. They were from all over Europe. This weekend was their international rally. I even saw a right hand drive 914-6. All of them were in were in great shape, and sounded good. I’ve never seen so many 914-6 in one spot before, but there were at least a dozen.
At around 2:30 the 914 group held their rally presentations. Then it was time to wind things up and for everyone to head home. Back to Germany, Holland, Switzerland, and a few other countries.

I headed out for Folkestone with the help of the Sat Nav (they don’t call them GPS here). The weather had been threatening all day to rain. It kindly held off until after the Open House. Then it made up for waiting. So I was in the rain all the way to Folkestone. The Sat Nav took me down so many country roads, even in the rain it was fun. I’ve never seen so much greenery, so many roads with the tree canopies arching over the road forming tunnels. It was a great drive. I didn’t get to the hotel until almost 8pm. Don’t think I’ve ever mentioned that it doesn’t get dark here until almost 10pm; the sun comes up at around 4:30am. Makes for a long day.

This morning, got up, had breakfast at the hotel, asked the front desk where the closest car wash was. The guy minding the front desk walked me out the front, pointed up the hill and said there it is. Folkestone has a lot of one way streets, so I had to take a round about route to get to the car wash. I did it without the Sat Nav too, I was rather proud of myself for that one. It was a do it yourself carwash, which I prefer over machine washes. While I was drying her off, John Tipler and a photographer(sorry I forgot your name, just went blank) from 911 & Porsche World pulled up. They had driven down from York along with Angus with his Carrera RS to do a article on both cars and to note the differences between them. Johns 964 was Mint Green and Angus’s Carrera RS was a Ruby Red, colors I’d never seen before on any Porsches. Very striking and pretty.

So we started off taking some pictures of both cars across the street at a skate board park. After that we drove down the coast to take some more pictures, both still and driving pictures. Spent most of the day doing that. I never knew it was so time consuming and complicated putting together a magazine article. I took plenty of pictures of all the cars too. See, I’m not the only one with obsessive compulsive disorder when it come to Porsches, it’s a guy thing, so there Chris.

We got back to Folkestone around 4pm or a little after. We all said our goodbyes and they headed back to York, and I headed back to the hotel.

That’s when the day turned into one of those days. I was unloading the car, and dropped the Sat Nav. When I picked it up, the face plate had cracked. It would still power up, but you couldn’t program it. So I was off and running, first to the front desk. Who in town carries Sat Navs, where are they, walking distance, if not how far.

They pulled out a map, and gave me directions, walked up a really steep hill, I mean steep. I wasn’t the only one breathing hard going up it. Went to the first store, oh sure we can get you one in a couple days. I leave for Le Mans day after tomorrow. So they say go to this store, I finally found it, yes we carry them, get to the counter, no we don’t. Try this store, go to customer service, sure we carry them, I’ll show you. Oops, we don’t carry them anymore.

The woman at customer service says, wait here, and let me see what I can do. Says there’s an auto parts store around the corner, leaves her store and takes me there, the store is closed. We walk back to her store; she gets on the phone, starts calling all over town. She locates one at a Halfords that’s not within walking distance. She takes me out to a cab stand, gives the cabby the directions to the store, and off we go. We get there and the cab driver goes into the store with me, he turned his meter off, we get the Sat Nav, pay for it and we are out of there, on our way back to the hotel. I change my mind and ask him to take me back to the store. I wanted to thank her one more time and I did. By then my blood pressure and pulse were returning to normal.

So that was the end of the drama for today and everything’s fine again. I should be able to find the Euro tunnel day after tomorrow to make the trip to Le Mans with the help of the Sat Nav. Instead of going in circles all over Folkestone.

So it’s been a couple of really full days and I’m wiped out right now. I had planned on visiting Fabian tomorrow, he posts on the 914 world site, but I think I’d better beg off to when I come back to England in September. What I need to do is a dry run to the Euro tunnel with the Sat Nav so I don’t get lost and miss my appointment on the 9th, yes you do have to have reservations for the Euro tunnel. I asked some questions about the tunnel at the PCGB Open House. I was told you drive your car onto the carriage, about 4 cars per carriage, and then you can either sit in your car or stand next to it. The trip takes 30-35 minutes. Cool. If you miss your appointment, they will still get you on a train, just may take awhile. I’d rather make the appointment.

As far as picture uploads go, that may be a while. The hotels “free” internet is there, you just can’t connect very often, too many people trying to connect.

I don’t know it there’s anyway to write from Le Mans, so it may be after the 14th before you get another update from me. I’ll be at Le Mans watching Testing, Practice, Qualifying, and the 24 Hours from the Porsche Curves.

Don
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Jun 8 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #64

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Don,

Take pictures of the Flying Lizards, last year and every year the Porsche Turns are where a lot of action is taking place...ask Darren Law. Hopefully the Lizard Team can receive a break this year and make the podium. I can not wait for the race on Saturday.

Thanks for sharing your great journey!!!

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) Go Lizards
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 14 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #65

Woke up at around 5am, I’m going to Le Mans today. I arrived at the Euro Tunnel about 45 minutes early. Saw a PCGB Porsche with the Le Mans car entry ticket installed, never did find the owner. At around ut
The track was open from 4pm to 12 am for testing and practice that evening. They were coming into the Porsche Curves so hot, lighting up the brakes, it was great. The berm in the Porsche Curves where we’re camped is about 20-25 feet about the track, excellent vantage point. I’ve tried taking pictures as they go by, but my camera just can’t handle the speed they’re going. So when I do upload the pictures and you see an empty track, I just couldn’t click fast enough. I watched them until midnight. The loudest cars were the Corvette’s with the GT 40’s a close second. We’re close enough to the track that the Corvettes exhaust bass notes just pounds your ears, so cool.
The next day woke up around 4am to rain, it finally stopped around 10am, sun came out, it was nice. Around 4pm, more rain, heavy rain until 10pm. Practice and Qualifying still continued despite the rain, slower but still fun to watch.
I’d ridden my bike into Arnage that morning, by the time I got back I was soaked, mud up to my knees, the roads, just mud, mud, and more mud. But hey, I’m at Le Mans with my RS America, what’s a little rain and mud.
The next day was dry, so I caught a ride to the Pits and shops at the track. It was really cool, took some pictures. Didn’t buy anything, just don’t have room.
OK, its official, I brought too much stuff, over packed, don’t have any room left. When I get to Bernards’s after Le Man, I’ll either mail some stuff home, or just toss it.
I’ve been invited to the Le Mans Classic in July, that really sounds like fun. Schedule is empty, think that’s going to happen.
Today’s race day and we woke up to rain, it finally stopped around 9am, yes. I was offered a ride into central Le Mans this morning, so I said yes. There’s a picture of the suspects and me somewhere downtown.
The track was open for practice this morning and they were doing warm up laps just prior to the start. The track was completely dry for the start. I’ve just come down from watching to try to catch up. There’s just so much going on, it’s hard to keep up, but I’m trying.
The PCGB campsite is very well done. The food tent has great meals and snacks and has let anyone who wants to too run a tab in pounds or euros for meals and drinks. Makes it so much easier than paying each time and having to run to the ATM for more cash. They also have two plasma screen TV’s, so you can not only watch the cars streaking through the Porsche Curves, but get updates and see what’s happening on the rest of the track. Saturday night was BBQ night, it was very good, love those ribs.
Now for you younger guys, if you like to PARTY, Le Mans is for you. It was one non-stop party, fireworks, really bad karaoke, and distorted music, all with the sound of the race in the background. Some of them were so ripped, they were prime candidates for the Darwin Awards. Thursday night a group of Danes camped on the other side of the fence, fencing in the PCGB paddock, they’d brought their home stereo with them, have you ever seen a +300 pound shirtless drunk man trying to do a pole dance while singing Karaoke at 1:30am. I assure you, you don’t want too either, it hurts both your eyes, ears, and brain. I should have taken a picture.
Yesterday, after getting back to the camp from the Pits, I had a few hours before the track opened, so I sat down and wrote an article for the Porsche Post. I started the article from the beginning of the dream 6 years ago. I let a few of the members proof it. They liked it, so I’ll send it off when I get internet access again. You can read it after this update.
I’ve been listening to the old hands who have been to Le Mans numerous times, taking their hints, places to go, giving me rides to track events and the towns. I think I’ve been adopted. How cool it that. I’m having the time of a lifetime, enjoying every minute, wet, dry or muddy.
I had stayed up all night watching the race, both on the Porsche Curves and on the TV. Finally crashed and burned around 9am, I got up in time to catch the last hour of the race. Last night after Audi won 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Porsche won GT2 everyone was quite happy with the results, then at 5pm Formula One came on. I missed that, I went back to bed.
Later that night, I got called up to the front during announcements, Stephen the organizer for the PCGB said some really nice things about me and they gave me a really nice PCGB alarm clock.
Left Le Mans this morning, it had rained again this morning, so the roads were muddy. There is a DIY carwash right outside the gate from the track. I washed the RS America before heading out. Once again the rain dance worked, the drive to Caudan was about 4 hours, most of it in the rain.
I’m in Caudan, France visiting Bernard and Magali. Bernard had a RS America, but sold it last year. He now has a 1964 Lotus 7, he took me for a short ride in it, it’s a really neat car. Getting in and out is an experience. First you open the window and hold it up, then you stick your leg in as far as you can, then bend in half and get your upper body and head in, fall into the seat, and bring your other leg up as high as you can, and get it in. To get out, you unclip the window and hold it out, pull yourself into a squat on the seat, pull one leg up until your knee is touching your forehead and get that leg out, bend in half again and get your head and upper body out, put your weight on the leg that’s already out, and pull your other leg out. All without falling on your butt.
Tomorrow we’re going to the Manoir De L’Automobile Museum. Should be fun. We’re going out to dinner later tonight.
I’ve probably forgot all sorts of stuff, there was just so much happening day and night. I’ve also got over 120 pictures to edit before I upload them. Maybe over the next couple of days.
So that’s the report from Le Mans.
+Quote Post
Zimms
post Jun 14 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 5,565
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sounds like a blast! Thanks for sharing.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jun 14 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #67

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

AWESOME as ever Don... thanks
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Jun 14 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #68

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

wow..there needs to be a mega jealous icon!
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 15 2010, 02:38 AM
Post #69

Here's the article I wrote while at Le Mans for the Porsche Club Great Britain. The picture is of the Porsche that started this crazy dream.

The seed was planted for this adventure in 2004 when I visited the Nurburgring with a new Porsche 997S. I had just finished a few laps, parked the 997S and walked over to the entry gate to watch. A white 1980’s 911 Carrera with a whale tail pulled up to the starting gate to enter the track. While I took a picture of the 911, I was thinking, that should be my 1993 RS America. I finished my laps and when back to the Dorint Hotel and the idea stayed in the back of my mind as I continued the tour with Mark and Tina.

The idea came back when I returned to home to San Diego, Ca. What would I have to do to ship my RS America to Europe, drive the Nurburgring and tour Europe, just what permits, costs for shipping , flights, hotels, food, incidental expenses. I started researching online and writing European Government Offices import/export law and regulations for each country I wanted to visit. It wasn’t long and I started getting replies to my emails.
While waiting for them I was researching shipping companies on the Better Business Bureau. What grade had the companies been given, if any complaints, what were they, how were they resolved. I picked the top 5 companies and wrote giving them my requirements for shipping. I needed an individual container, $50k shipping insurance, ship to England. I asked them what documentation would be needed, what could I do to smooth the shipping, what would they do, and complete cost from California to England and how long would the transit take.
I then contacted via email several UK banks asking if I could open an account with a minimal amount to start and then wire transfer the bulk of the funds prior to the start of the trip. I didn’t get a reply from any of the UK banks. So I had to come up with a new financial plan. I contacted my banks and asked if they could help. They all said yes we can help you set it all up for Europe. So I started cutting expenses to pay for the trip, I didn’t want to get a loan or max out my credit cards.
As I started receiving emails from European Governments, what it all boiled down to, was as long as I shipped the RS America for my own personal use, stayed less than 6 months, and shipped her home at the end of the trip, she could be imported with no government fees or taxes. She could also keep her California license plates and registration.
This was still a pleasant pipe dream; I still hadn’t had to spend any money to get all the information. As I thought of any other questions, I’d simply send out another email asking for clarification. When I receive the answer, I’d print it out and put it in the file I’d started.
In 2007 my doctor wanted to change the medicines I’d been taking and doing quite well with, agreeing and trusting my doctor was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. The new medicines came so close to just totally destroying me. Went into the hospital twice, changed my vision, massive weight gain, attacked the nerves in my feet, couldn’t walk, couldn’t wear shoes, I couldn’t walk 100 yards without needing to change clothes, affected my jaw bone, I lost 14 teeth. In 2008 they started talking about removing my jaw bone. My doctors couldn’t figure out why I continued to deteriorate. I was checking drug company and FDA websites to figure out why I just kept going downhill. I became a recluse, I wasn’t happy, I wasn’t sad, just numb. All these were side effects of the medications.
One day I went out to check the mail, while I walking out, I realized I hadn’t left the house in 10 days. I looked back and there were many periods like that. I went back into the house and did a general web search, Cymbalta and excessive sweating. It took me to a website of people who were having the same problems I was. I read it and sent the address to my Mom. Then called her on the phone and asked her to read it and get back to me with her thoughts. A couple of hours latter she called me, she said what I was going through was all explained by this website, and I needed to get off all of the medicines now. I wrote another email to my doctor with the web address and said I was going to stop taking all of the medicines. I received an email back from my doctor telling me I was not allowed to decide what medicines I put in my body. They got fired. Shortly afterwards, I fired the rest of my doctors and started detoxing myself off all the the medicines. It was over a year before all the withdrawal symptoms finally went away. Then I started an exercise program, joined a gym, and started riding bicycles because I couldn’t walk any distance anymore. It started slow, but got better over time. As I got better I reconnected with my family and friends. The most common comment I heard from them was, “It’s nice have Don back.”
As I got better the idea to ship my RS America to Europe came back. I still had all the previous information and sent out more email asking if the requirements/regulations had changed, they had. I then started applying for new import/export permits.
I received the final approval needed in March 2010 from the UK Home Office. It was on. I spent the next 4 days on the phone, sending out emails, confirming all the details, setting up shipping dates for the RS America, flights for me.
Then I set up a maintenance schedule for the RS America, she needed to be in top shape for this adventure. Performed a 60k service, set the valves, new O2 sensor, new tires, flushed and filled the brake system, made arraignments to have Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers installed, corner balanced, fresh alignment.
I made a packing list, packed it all, loaded all of it into the RS America to make sure it all fit. Signed up all my utilities, Satellite TV, phones, credit cards, and cell phone, for auto payment. Started transferring funds into a central account to pay for all the bills and fund the trip.
April 15 arrived, all the maintenance and upgrades for the RS America were completed, she was ready.
My friend Keith V of the rsamerica.net website had graciously volunteered to follow me to Los Angeles to turn her in to Branko and Rinkens International Shipping. The drive up went smooth and was uneventful. Branko had everything waiting for us, it took less than 30 minutes to complete all the paper work.
As Keith and I headed back to San Diego, I had the thought, “OMG, it’s really happening.” A 6 year dream was finally coming to fruition. All the wheels had been set in motion, there was no stopping it now.
Then the separation anxiety set in, I missed her already. I had 4 weeks to wait until my flight to London.
I was able to track her progress on the ship on the company website. Her arrival date in Felixstowe kept changing daily, not sooner, but later. So I adjusted my hotel arraingements so that I could play tourist in London for a week before heading to Felixstowe to pick her up.
Four days before my flight to London, I reconfirmed all my auto pay arraignments, had the Satilite TV, cell phone, and internet subscription shutdown for the duration of my trip.
May 18th arrived, the day of my flights to London. My Mom picked me up and took me to the airport. I had a non-stop flight to London. The plane was packed, there wasn’t a empty seat on board. While in London playing tourist, I found a Sat Nav for the UK and Europe. Essencial equipment for a visitor in Europe.
I left London and headed for Felixstowe to meet my baby. I had planned on just a couple of days in Felixstowe. After I arrived and checked into the Hotel Elizabeth Orwell, I checked my email. The ship had experience a further delay. I took my laptop down to reception and asked if I could extend my stay until my car arrived. They had room. I enjoyed my stay in Felixstowe, but wanted my RS America.
The delivery day arrived. I was waiting at the hotel for the phone to ring. It finally rang, she had just cleared customs, been loaded on a truck and was heading for the Imorex Bonded Warehouse for delivery. I jumped into a taxi and we headed there. The truck had just arrived as we got there. I went into the office, they took me to the truck, removed the seal and opened the doors. There she was and she looked perfect. They started removing the blocking and tie downs and installed the ramp to unload her from her container. The guy walked up to her, stopped, turned around and asked me if I wanted him to drive her down the ramp or would I like to, I was up the ramp like a shot. I jumped in, turned the key and she fired right up, she sounded wonderful.
I signed the final delivery papers and I was off driving for the first time on the wrong side of the road, just a bit nervous.
I found a gas station, filled her up and found my way back to the hotel. As it was early afternoon, I decided I’d leave the next day. I spent the rest of the day, checking her out and getting her loaded.
We headed for Stonehenge the next morning, she was just purring down the road. After Stonehenge, we headed for 6 days in Canterbury. Stayed at the Falstaff Hotel, I’d recommend it to anyone. Visited the Cathedral, museum, Roman Dig, a Norman Castle, and took a boat ride down the river. Went for a drive and found Upton and Rochester Castle. When I was up on the battlements of Rochester Castle I looked down and the RS America was perfectly framed by some trees, I took the picture.

After Canterbury, it was on to Morton in Marsh for the PCGB Open House on 6/6. The 914 registry was having a international meet close by and most of them then came to the Open House. I also have a 1970 914-6, so it was really nice to meet and see all of them. I bought my 914-6 from my step dad John, he owned her for 30 years and sold her to me 10 years ago.
When the Open House was over, it was on to Folkestone to the Euro tunnel and Le Mans.
The tunnel crossing went without a hitch and the drive to Le Mans went smooth, no tickets.
The excitement of going to Le Mans continued to build the closer we got, and then we were there. Wow.
I’m only a couple of weeks into this adventure. The struggles over the past few years have become moot. I have reclaimed my life, the wonder is back. To those who helped and supported my crazy dream, thank you.
The dream continues.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
veltror
post Jun 15 2010, 04:47 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 8,978
Region Association: None

Make sure you go to see the Schlumpf collection!!
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 17 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #71

Uploaded the Le Mans pics. Deleted the ones where all you could see is a blur, and they were braking and still blurred.

Went to Manoir De L'Automobile Museum today, incredible. I'll upload those pics after I resize them.

Here's the website for the Museum http://www.manior-automobile.fr

Leaving Caudan, France for Normandy Saturday, then Luxemburg on Monday.

Later, Don

Just finished uploading the museum pictures.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 17 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #72

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Absolutley awesome DON! Congrats on living your dream. We all really appreciatte you sharing it with us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jun 17 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #73

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

When I do the rain dance, it is to keep the clouds AWAY from me and the 914
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I hope to find time to look at all those pics soon, the stories are great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 18 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #74

Today was a clear and warm day, perfect to go see some of the local sights. Bernard jumped into his Lotus 7 and I followed in the RSA. If any of you are wondering what a Lotus 7 looks like, think back to the late 60’s early 70’s TV show the “Prisoner” with Patrick McGoohan. It’s the same car he drove in the series. Following Bernard, you could watch all the heads turning as he went by. I’ve uploaded some pictures of the Lotus if you can’t remember the TV show, or you’re not ancient.
Anyway, we went to a couple of places I won’t even try to pronounce, much less spell, nice roads, nice sights, nice sunny drive, does it get any better. The first place was a small village and we parked next to the river that connects to the sea. There’s one picture of a house with a thatched roof, rare now days.
Then we went to a port city with a very large Port Castle. Parking was terrible, so eventually we parked illegally. Didn’t see any cops, ran into the castle and did a fast and quick tour. Apparently others liked our idea of parking and there were several cars parked behind us illegally too. When we pulled out, there were a couple of cars waiting to take our illegal parking spots. We made a fast exit.
Later in the day, Bernard took me to meet some of his Biker friends; the club is called the Hed Kelt’s. You’ll find some of their pictures uploaded. Really nice group of guys. I had my Ipod with me, so I was able to show them some pictures of my bike, a 1980 FXWG Harley Davidson that I’m the original owner of. I’ve ridden her all over the US over the years. I’m on my 5th engine, wore the other 4 out. Just added up the miles on the engines, I’ve ridden her about 200, 000 miles, never added it up before. My longest ride was 6 months in 1991. The guys really liked the pictures of my bike and me with long hair. I only cut it off a few years ago. Now I’m starting to think about letting it grow again. I can hear my Mom and Dad going, oh God, here we go again. The President of the Club gave me a Club Shirt, so I put it on and gave him my Monterey Historic’s shirt. He liked it. They also have a club band and website. http://www.hed-kelt.fr/ it’s pretty cool.
One of the guys had a beautiful 1968 Chevy Camero there today.
The bikes were looking good. So I took pictures of everything, bikes, car, clubhouse (they built it themselves) and the HOG member, see if you can pick him out. One of the guys had a really impressive 3 wheeler with a Vdub engine in it, very detailed, all built by him. All of the bikes were built by their owners. I really respect that, all of my bike has been built by me, the flame paint job, saddle bags, custom parts, bike lift (I can have the rear wheel off the ground in about 15 seconds), electrical, engine, and tranny.
Just a great day. Tomorrow I’m off to the Normandy coast for a couple of days, then on to Luxemburg.
Bernard and Magali have been exceptional hosts during my stay here in Caudan; they have an open invitation to visit me in San Diego. Bernard gave me a French Porsche Club shirt the other day, when I wear it, it will bring back fond memories of them both. I hope to meet up with Bernard again at the Le Mans Classic next month.
Well the bags are packed, the RSA and I are both ready.
The open road is beckoning.
Don
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 23 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #75

6/20/10

I visited the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach this morning. I left the hotel in Caen early after programming in the GPS coordinates from their website. I arrived around 8:15am; it didn’t open until 9am. I’d passed a small café on the way in, so I went back looking for coffee. They were still closed when I arrived, but they saw me drive in with the RSA and when I walked up to the door to see if they were open, they met me and asked if I’d like some coffee. After serving me some coffee, we talked, they asked if anyone in my family is buried in the Cemetery. I said no, but my step-dad John Gimble was in the North African Campaign and D-Day.

I finished my coffee and drove the RSA back to the Main Gate, parked and waited. I looked in my rear view mirror and there was about 6-8 cars behind me waiting. They opened the gate about 5 minutes early; maybe they saw the cars stacking up. I drove in and parked the RSA. I got out and just looked around.

Off to my right I could see through the trees to a small village and the coast, so that’s the way I went. I crossed a parking lot, then a grass field. I could see an obelisk and walked in that direction. It was for the 1st Division, also known as the Big Red One. After reading the engravings, I walked toward Omaha Beach. There was a monument to Fifth Engineer Special Brigade; it’s on top of an empty German Shore Battery. You can see the complete beach from this vantage point.

I wanted to go down to Omaha Beach, I found a narrow path overgrown with thistle plants, I think. Anyway, wear long pants, not shorts like I was in. I made it all the way down to Omaha Beach in one piece, the hills are quite steep. I walked out on the sand, picked up some sand, let it trickle through my fingers and turned around an looked at the hills those guys had to climb, all while being under deadly fire from the Germans. If you’ve never been shot at or heard the terrified scream, “incoming”, you won’t be able to imagine what it must have been like. Standing there, imagining, made my tour in Viet Nam pale into insignificance.

After standing there awhile, I started walking up the hill. It was a good climb, now do it while you’re getting shot at and shelled. Damn.

When I reached the top, I walked over to the Visitors Center, went through security, today’s world, security at a Cemetery. I signed the Visitors Log and added ENC USN, Retired. It’s been awhile since I signed anything as a Chief Engineman, kind of felt good. The lower floor is where the majority of the displays and movies are. I went through it slowly. If it weren’t for the sound of the movies, you could hear a pin drop. Even the children were quiet. As I was leaving the Visitors Center, there way a woman’s voice reading the names of the dead buried in the Cemetery. I used to read the names of the service men and women from San Diego who died in Viet Nam on Memorial Day with the Viet Nam Veterans of San Diego. When you’re reading the names, you have to not think of what you’re reading, if you start thinking of what each name represents, you will choke up, you will not be able to continue.

I walked to the gravesites. The grounds are beautifully kept. I rounded a corner and there the crosses were. It almost stuns you when you first see them. As I walked up to the crosses, I discovered something I didn’t know before. All the crosses are made from marble, I always thought they were cast concrete. I like the idea of marble much better, they deserve it.

As I walked among the crosses and the monuments, I thought of what all this meant. This is the price of freedom. Freedom has always been paid for with blood, usually the blood of the young. As I left, I said a prayer for those who gave their blood for my freedom.

This visit was an emotional journey for me, I’m glad I went; it will stay with me as it should.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 02:51 PM