Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> throttle body overhaul, one moving part
r3dplanet
post Apr 10 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

So...

... the throttle body. For kicks I pulled mine out (from an early 1.7 liter) so I could clean out the TPS. I cleaned the TPS, but I'm underwhelmed with the throttle body itself. The revolving plate jiggles, to my mind, far too much. It's sloppy and wiggly and slappy. Also, I can't find an intake gasket anywhere.

I'm guessing replacements are unavailable. Does anyone overhaul these? Or are there how-to tricks on making them nice again? I have a bucket of throttle bodies for my BMWs, and I'm making comparisons. Maybe I shouldn't.

Last, what about the gasket? It's cone-shaped and impossible to cut from gasket material. What have others used here?

Thanks for reading.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 10 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(spankmeister7 @ Apr 10 2010, 03:50 PM) *

So...

... the throttle body. For kicks I pulled mine out (from an early 1.7 liter) so I could clean out the TPS. I cleaned the TPS, but I'm underwhelmed with the throttle body itself. The revolving plate jiggles, to my mind, far too much. It's sloppy and wiggly and slappy. Also, I can't find an intake gasket anywhere.

I'm guessing replacements are unavailable. Does anyone overhaul these? Or are there how-to tricks on making them nice again? I have a bucket of throttle bodies for my BMWs, and I'm making comparisons. Maybe I shouldn't.

Last, what about the gasket? It's cone-shaped and impossible to cut from gasket material. What have others used here?

Thanks for reading.

Good questions... I would think that the sloppy shaft is an issue. It would leak air and effect idle. There is someone making the 2 liter intake gasket but I do not recall hearing of anyone making the 1.7. Good luck...
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 11 2010, 08:20 AM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

the gasket is a piece of cone shaped rubber. Try the Cap'n, or HPH for a used one.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Apr 11 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,741

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 11 2010, 07:20 AM) *

the gasket is a piece of cone shaped rubber. Try the Cap'n, or HPH for a used one.

HPH?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 11 2010, 11:08 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

High Performance House in Redwood City CA. http://www.highperformancehouse.com . Rich at HPH has at least ten of everything for a 914... Except for body panels, where I think there are a few he may only have two or three of--in some colors.

George at AA more than likely has used ones too.

Mike Cooley ("Cooltimes" here on the board) re-bushed a few throttle bodies back when. He used a lathe, I think, to bore the throttle shaft holes oversize, and then installed (pressed??) bushings in. I think the wear was almost entirely in the throttle body, not the shaft. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in about what he did.

IIRC, after he got rid of his lathe, he tried again with a drill press and was not happy with the results. So it likely requires the lathe or a mill to do the job well.

--DD
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 11 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

The gaskets are NLA. Used ones can be made to mostly work by adding some sealant.

George at AA said he was working on producing new ones. But I have no idea when that's supposed to become available.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 07:12 AM