Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Top end rebuild (sort of)
KaptKaos
post Apr 10 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Family

Group: Members
Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Some of you may know that I buggered up my heads on my /4 a few months ago. I put in a step-down stud on the exhaust and put it in crooked. I pulled the heads, sent them to the machine shop to have them fixed up.

In the process of pulling the heads, one of the cylinders stuck onto the head. In pulling it off, I broke one of the rings on the piston. Lovely!

So I then pulled all of the cylinders, and honed them to break the glaze. I just bought a new set of rings, and will re-ring all of the cylinders. I will be putting new rings on the pistons this weekend and possibly installing the cylinders. I bought a ring compressor too.

The pistons, rods and crank all stayed in the case, except for one piston I took off for measurements, etc... I will be putting that back on too.

This is the first time I am doing this. What oil should I use for assembly? Since the pistons are already on the rods, I will be slipping the cylinders down onto the pistons. Any hints there on how best to handle that?

All of the push rods, rockers, etc.. were marked for their cylinder, and will be going back where they were.

Is there anything else I should be looking for, doing, etc..???

Oh, what's the torque setting on the nuts that hold the heads on? Is there a preferred pattern for tightening those?

TIA

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 01:41 AM