Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sizing oil cooler, biggest or big enough
machina
post Mar 31 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

Do most people just use the biggest cooler they can jam up front, like a 22x6x2 or is there a way to calculate how much heat capacity the cooler should be able to remove at a given speed?

Those things start to get pretty heavy and expensive. Would one of the more compact fluidynes work on a 2 liter motor in the summer? I noticed paul (mr lightweight) has a relatively small cooler on his car.

Thanks,
dr
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 31 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Mar 31 2004, 08:34 AM)
...is there a way to calculate how much heat capacity the cooler should be able to remove at a given speed?

of course. the heat exchanger (oil cooler) people have already done this, you just need to get the heat rejection vs airflow curves.

Mocal and Earl's/SerckSpeed used to show this data, and it's been too long since i looked at FluidDyne's website for me to remember if they did - which is different completely from knowing if they do now ... the feeling here is the FluidDynes are more efficient so you could make a WAG from the Mocal numbers...

and you get to guess how much heat is rejected by the lines, and how efficient your exhaust airflow is, remembering that it's easier to add tape on cold days than a bigger cooler on the very hot days :-) ...
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 31 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I personally went with the "overkill" philosophy as one other point to add to Rich's great comments, is that you never what engine (and usage environment) you or a future owner might subject your car to in the future.

A fairly major project like a "proper" cooling system is not something you want to do twice, if you can help it.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 31 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 31 2004, 09:34 PM)
I personally went with the "overkill" philosophy

i second that ...

go with the biggest cooler and biggest lines you can afford and run a thermostat.

you never know what you're going to do to that engine in the future and you don't want to have to run bigger lines and stuff all over again.

Andy
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 1 2004, 03:22 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

It is very easy to block off the cooler if it keeps cycling the thermostat on cold days. It is NOT easy to try and get the car cooler on a 105 degree day.

In our 4cyl cars I run the same size as I would in a 390hp 6 cyl car. I plan ahead. Most of the 4cyl race guy's I know will got to a six somewhere down the road and they shouldnt have to do another cooler.

B
+Quote Post
machina
post Apr 1 2004, 06:16 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

good advice,

I wanted to run the lines down the heater tubes, makes a clean install.

Right now the right side tubes have 2 (-6) ss lines for fuel and the right heater tube has a big battery cable in it.

I don't think 2 more big (-12) ss lines will fit in with the fuel lines and I don't like the idea of ss lines rubbing on the hot lead from my battery. Can I run cloth or rubber (-12) line for the oil so it wont rub through the battery cable and will 2 (-12) fit in the heater tubes?

thanks,
dr
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 1 2004, 06:50 AM
Post #7

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Apr 1 2004, 04:16 AM)
Can I run cloth or rubber (-12) line for the oil so it wont rub through the battery cable and will 2 (-12) fit in the heater tubes?

sizing i can't help you with.

there are several kinds of sheathing you can add over stainless braided hose, and several people have reported excellent results with hydraulic implement hose. nowadays that stuff is Kevlar sheathed and suitable for pressures we'll never encounter. check the temperature ratings, but my guess is they'll take way more than they'll ever encounter on a 914 unless one sits in contact with a header pipe for a long time ...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 11:12 PM