Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What does "Complete Engine" mean, I need a ruling from the court
ellisor3
post Apr 12 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #1

HPWhore

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,683
Region Association: South East States

A couple of weeks ago I called around to some salvage companies looking for a 3.2L engine. My request went like this: " I need a price on a complete 3.2 engine minus the fuel system". I found one that had been rebuilt by a reputable builder and we struck a deal. The engine was delivered today, and it was not as "complete" as I expected.

It did not have the engine shroud, fan, clutch, flywheel, engine tins or cross bar mount. When I said complete engine I expected it to be ready to install minus fuel system. Is this correct?? What say the court??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Apr 12 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #2

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've done the same thing and learned my lesson the hard way. Different interpretation of words cost money. Probably need to be super specific when ordering on the phone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Also, salvage yards sell it, in the words of Johnny Cash, One Piece At A Time.

Hopefully you've got a good 'motor' and might find a trashed complete motor super cheep to get the other parts off of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 12 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

shortblock no heads, towers, VC's or P&C's, may or may not on the fly for a /6 but a /4 should have the flywheel.
Longblock is valve cover to valve cover, pulley to fly.

To me complete is well...complete.
+Quote Post
type2man
post Apr 12 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,127

To most companies complete is delivered without accesories such as the alternator and compressor but with an intake. The tins, they should have left on. Longblock to me is valve cover to valve cover. Turnkey is obvious...but complete is kind of shady...hard to make a decision depending on how much you paid and if you overpaid.
+Quote Post
1968Cayman
post Apr 12 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Redacted by Irving Washington

Member No.: 11,332

In my experience, if you're trading an engine into a dismantler, it had better have everything on it needed to drop into another car. If you're buying one, it will likely only come with everything up to the intake, valve covers and sometimes the fuel delivery system. Everything else is money.
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Apr 12 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #6

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Bandjoey. Awesome picture! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 12 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #7

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

To me "complete" means I can drop it in a car and drive. Totally agree that all parties need to get specific on what is included and not included. Pictures are your friend.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 12 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

A few months ago I bought yet another VW/Audi 2.0 FSI engine, this one from LQK, a big chain of boneyards. I ordered a complete engine, knowing the alternator, A/C compressor, P/S pump, turbo, and throttle body wouldn't be there. They're worth biggish bucks, and most shops wouldn't need 'em anyway. What I got was a long block, missing the intake manifold (plastic, no less) that I REALLY needed. Since the salesman assured me this was a "complete" engine less the above mentioned ancillary bits), and he KNEW what I needed, I went over his head and did everything short of telling them to come get it before they agreed to come up with a manifold. it's not like there's a big market for them. The hassle made me leery of ever dealing with this company again.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 12 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

There is no ruling. Sorry. It sucks that you didn't get what you thought you were going to. Ambiguity is a killer. The only way to make sure you're getting what you want, is to ask. Thoroughly.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 13 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The only way to fully know anything is to ask lots of questions... at least a 3.2 is a darn good engine... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 13 2010, 05:27 AM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
It doesn't matter what any one here thinks a complete used engine should be. It's entirely subjective. What matters is what you and the seller think is complete and what you discuss prior to the purchase and what you end up getting after having had that discussion.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Apr 13 2010, 06:30 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 7,351

Did the seller provide you with pictures of the engine prior to the sale?
+Quote Post
ME733
post Apr 13 2010, 07:22 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,209

...........A complete engine ....has many meanings /and is a poor way to define what you want or expect to get ...for your money....I never purchase "core, totally complete engines"..unless I put my hands and eyeballs on the engine....not to do so just allows the seller an opening to hold back parts you need...so he can sell them to you later(after he,s got your money of course, on the first deal)....there is no honor in the junk yard/salvage business........IMO.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 13 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #14

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

+1 on what Gint said, too many ways for an individual to interpret 'complete'.

When I went to see my 3.2 I made sure it was complete as per my needs. My guy had everything right down to the tach and fuel pump ready for me. When I picked it up I double checked to make sure nothing had got up and walked away . . .

+Quote Post
realred914
post Apr 13 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #15

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

sounds complete to me, minus the fuel system (no intake stuff provided, i fugure from the heads out is the fuel system)
there is no engine tin nor fan, well that is part of teh cooling system. if you buy a "complete" chevy engine, do you expect the radiator, and heater core included?

I can see both sides here, the seller has a different interpitation than teh seller, niether is really wrong, just is there is a mis-understanding.

I hate to say buyer be ware, but in this case, you really needed to be morer specifict. there is too much wiggle room with the broad definitions used.
It would be wise in hind site to make a list of all engine accesories desired and and work from that.

sorry it went bad, hod=pe fully you have a good core of your motor here, and will be able to get not to expensivly the needed parts.

leasons in life are oft not cheap.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 13 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #16

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That missing flywheel bothers me.

It's a balanced part of the rotating elements of the engine and should be there.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 13 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #17

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Although my last purchase went very, very well without actually putting my hands on the car, I'm finding myself needing to place my hands on things before buying them unless I really know who I'm buying from. Even then, I him and ha a lot about it.

Niether side is to blame for this. You should have been much more specific about what you wanted left on the engine, requested pictures even. They should have been more forthcoming about what they wanted to remove for the price negotiated.

It kinda sucks, but I don't know if I'd get too upset about it.
+Quote Post
ellisor3
post Apr 13 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #18

HPWhore

Member No.: 9,683

As a follow up, I spoke with the salvage company today and we basically split the difference on the issue. We both admitted that we should have been more specific in what was asked and what was being provided. He agreed to provide the fan,alternator and shroud and I will deal with the back end which is the flywheel and clutch. Being that a 3.2 is being mated with a 901 trans, I would have had to replace these anyway, so in the end it worked our ok I guess. Lesson Learned: GET PICS and a WRITTEN ESTIMATE of what you are buying. By the way since this got worked out I will tell everyone it was DC Auto, Robert is really good to work with. Thanks to the court (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 13 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #19

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Very cool and glad you got it worked out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 13 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Perfect solution! Glad to hear it worked out well.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 05:45 AM