Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TOT - bike info needed, Looking for a nice frame
Porcharu
post Apr 16 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

I am starting to look for a nice steel frame to replace the nasty aluminum Klein that I currently have. Looking for a nice long distance setup, not a race frame. Nothing real fancy needed - but something worthy of Campy Record (almost 20 years old now) componants. Any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Apr 16 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 16 2010, 12:04 PM) *

I am starting to look for a nice steel frame to replace the nasty aluminum Klein that I currently have. Looking for a nice long distance setup, not a race frame. Nothing real fancy needed - but something worthy of Campy Record (almost 20 years old now) componants. Any ideas?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.excelsports.com-5505-1271450913.1.jpg)

I just so happen to be building a bike for next year. I love the look of steel bikes so I ordered a gios compact pro frame. I want something fast so I am going modern on all the components to keep weight down. Geez anyone else see a trend in my buying habits? But the frame is less then a thousand and looks terrific.

Gonna use SRAM red but not sure on the wheels yet, prefer custom but may go with kysirium for reliability even though I find them ugly.

trying to keep the entire build close to 3 grand.

You can also search ebay and find some pretty terrific frames. I built a bike using a mix of C-record and Nuevo components on a steel lugged frame for less then $1000 3 years ago. All stuff I got on Ebay.
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Apr 16 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

How many speeds is your current Record group? Keep in mind that your current components - if 7 speed, were meant for a frame with 126mm spacing. I guess if 8 speed, you're okay with today's 130mm frames.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 16 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #4

It's an 8 or 9 speed - I forget and my bike is a 140 miles away at the moment.
Steve
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 17 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 16 2010, 01:04 PM) *

My Son is a cyclist and bike mechanic in San Luis Obispo. Contact Tyler at
mtbtec@yahoo.com
He might be able to help.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
strawman
post Apr 18 2010, 01:45 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

One word... Masi. I just sold a 1974 Masi Gran Criterium on Ebay because it was slightly too big for me (58cm, tho I normally ride a 56cm or 57cm frame). Nonetheless, I finished a double century on this bike in 1989 in 12:13 and I felt GREAT afterward -- something I couldn't say afterward on a couple of other double centuries on other framesets. In fact, I ran the Bay to Breakers the next day and sprinted the final few hundred meters despite an expected case of sleepy peepee. That frameset accompanied me on countless 100+ mile rides, and it lived many loving years first in my living room (when single) and then in my rafters after I got married -- I couldn't bear to part with it until I need cash for my teener project. Nothing like Columbus steel!!! Final word of advice -- stay Italian if you really want something that works and lasts.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 18 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(strawman @ Apr 18 2010, 12:45 AM) *

One word... Masi. I just sold a 1974 Masi Gran Criterium on Ebay because it was slightly too big for me (58cm, tho I normally ride a 56cm or 57cm frame). Nonetheless, I finished a double century on this bike in 1989 in 12:13 and I felt GREAT afterward -- something I couldn't say afterward on a couple of other double centuries on other framesets. In fact, I ran the Bay to Breakers the next day and sprinted the final few hundred meters despite an expected case of sleepy peepee. That frameset accompanied me on countless 100+ mile rides, and it lived many loving years first in my living room (when single) and then in my rafters after I got married -- I couldn't bear to part with it until I need cash for my teener project. Nothing like Columbus steel!!! Final word of advice -- stay Italian if you really want something that works and lasts.

CRAP - I need a 58cm frame and I'm local! One (of many things) - I hate about the frame I have is it's really to small for me. I have a very long torso and need a bigger bike - everyone says I need a 56cm but they are all cramped on the top tube. I'm doing this ride next year http://www.mrfrogswildride.org/ just after my 46 birthday and just gotta have a nicer frame. I really hope the climbs don't kill me - I have been a flatlander until now. I think that corncob 'might have to go' but then again I can always just go triple. I don't have any knees left so pride is not involved!
Steve
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 18 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 16 2010, 11:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 16 2010, 01:04 PM) *

My Son is a cyclist and bike mechanic in San Luis Obispo. Contact Tyler at
mtbtec@yahoo.com
He might be able to help.
Cheers, Elliot

Which shop? I used to go to one on (crap those brain cells appear to be dead and I can't recall the streeet) Oh well it was near the center of town. I think I would remember the name if I heard it or read it. Maybe South street cycles. Been gone for to long to remember much other than the women, Spikes, and Slo Brew.
I will never forget going to Slo Brew with some of the UPS crew on cheap burger/happy hour night - about 10 of us order ALL of the pitchers they had, we each ordered 3 or 4 more Big pitchers at the end of happy hour! Most of us already had 1 or 2 in our gut. Those dudes know how to party! So many brain cells killed in that town - I would be brilliant if never lived in that town (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Apr 18 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

You should be able to pick up a frame made from Reynolds 853 on the cheap on craigslist... It's by far my pick for steel and affordable. Most frame makers now overseas and scandium is cheaper, but crap IMO.

Older Lemond's, Salsa's, VooDoo's, ect would be 853, that's what I would search for in your size.

Ferg
+Quote Post
gopack
post Apr 18 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #10

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472

I've been riding a mid 90s Specialized Allez since new. It has an alluminum fork, and Cromolly frame tubes. The ride is responsive, but not too twitchy. I never rode 200 miles though! Should be able to get one cheap on ebay! Otherwise, all the major european bike companies still make steel frames for under 1k if you want new. If I was you though, I would contact a frame builder and get EXACTLY what you want. That way you can mix frame tubes and get the perfect geometry for you! I had a custom back in the 80s, and loved that bike! Not sure what a custom costs these days, but the money is WELL SPENT. (just my $0.02; yours at a 100% discount!)
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Apr 18 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,741

QUOTE(gopack @ Apr 18 2010, 10:05 AM) *

I've been riding a mid 90s Specialized Allez since new. It has an alluminum fork, and Cromolly frame tubes. The ride is responsive, but not too twitchy. I never rode 200 miles though! Should be able to get one cheap on ebay! Otherwise, all the major european bike companies still make steel frames for under 1k if you want new. If I was you though, I would contact a frame builder and get EXACTLY what you want. That way you can mix frame tubes and get the perfect geometry for you! I had a custom back in the 80s, and loved that bike! Not sure what a custom costs these days, but the money is WELL SPENT. (just my $0.02; yours at a 100% discount!)

I've built up a couple of road bikes over the last year on Soma frames. Nice steel, nice colors, well built, inexpensive, and super comfortable. My winter trainer is an orange Soma w/105 except for the rear hub, which is a just a free-wheel flip-flop. Easier to clean in the rain.

One note: I do have carbon forks on the Soma frames. I'm a big fan of carbon forks for all occasions.

The next time I build up a bike I'm going to go to a builder and have something sized for me. Its expensive, but worth it. I guess it depends on what you're after and how much you want to spend. I'm a lousy welder, and I have great respect for these guys who engineer frames and build them. Many manufacturers will also custom-build you a frame if you get a proper fit.
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Apr 18 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #12

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Member No.: 6,031

First let me say that I'm no pro on cycling, I pleasure ride frequently. Did about 2500 miles last summer mostly in 25-50 mile rides with a few longer.

I went from an aluminum frame bike to a carbon fiber bike and could not believe the difference in ride quality. The difference was noticeable at the first bump and what sold me immedidately. The carbon was like having a suspension compared to the aluminum frame. So the question to you is why not a carbon frame? Is there a reason to avoid that for long distance?
+Quote Post
dion9146
post Apr 18 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,071
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 18 2010, 05:39 PM) *

First let me say that I'm no pro on cycling, I pleasure ride frequently. Did about 2500 miles last summer mostly in 25-50 mile rides with a few longer.

I went from an aluminum frame bike to a carbon fiber bike and could not believe the difference in ride quality. The difference was noticeable at the first bump and what sold me immedidately. The carbon was like having a suspension compared to the aluminum frame. So the question to you is why not a carbon frame? Is there a reason to avoid that for long distance?

Same thought. I started in steel, went to aluminum, went back to steel, and finally carbon. That's the end of the road for me. Nothing is this comfortable. I bought a Raleigh Competition frameset off of eBay for $350. Not the best top of the line frame, but I also stopped racing 15 years ago and it suits me just fine.

Last year after our first century, my riding partner was crying he hurt so bad, I felt great. He was riding aluminum.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Dion
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Apr 18 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #14

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Titanium, baby! It's like magic.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Apr 18 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #15

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Member No.: 6,031

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) magic =$$$$
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 18 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Think of a bike like a pair of shoes. First comes fit. Nothing else matters unless the bike fits correctly. Read up on how to properly fit your bike and get help with this from a pro if you need it. Hint - the teenage kid at the local bike shop probably isn't the best at fitting your bike. Usually it's an older guy who's been around bikes for a long time. 2nd is bike design. Get a bike that suits the style of riding you do. Any material can be made stiff or flexy, fast or slow. Don't worry about what the pros ride. They are paid to ride a particular bike. Dress shoes won't work very well for a 10K run - you get the idea. 3rd is material. Get what suits you but realize the material doesn't make the bike. Leather is nice for shoes but nylon and rubber can work just as well if used in the correct application. All your contact points matter as well. Shoes, seat, and handlebars all need to work for you and be set up properly. Try out seats until you find one you like. Good tires are important since they are the only 2 square inches that touch the road. Heavy duty kevlar belted tires resist flats but ride harsh. Supple casing in a slightly wider size 25mm vs 21 or 23mm, pumped to a lower pressure that's still appropriate for your weight will roll fast but have some give on rough surfaces. the new tubless tires also work very well. Lastly, make sure your wearing high quality cycling shorts and accessories. A good pair of shorts are $150+ and are worth it. don't skimp!. Good shorts and shoes will last longer so the money becomes a wash. Aways wear a helmet and make your kids wear theirs. Hope this helps. Mark
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 19 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 18 2010, 02:39 PM) *

If he hasn't sold it I am going to go look at carbon frame this week. Correct size for me and I have enjoyed all 3 carbon framed bikes that I have tried out - and the price is right.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 19 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #18

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

In an only slight twist from this TOT topic I wonder if anyone has a 9speed Campy Record rear deraileur from the mid 80's. I got hit by a girl backing out of her driveway without looking last year and my Bianchi Raparto Corsa with Record and Shamal wheels has had to sit idle while I try to find a replacement for the bent rear deraileur.

By the way, my other bike is a Look Titanium Team with Record. LOVE IT! But carbon fiber is great too...
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Apr 20 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #19

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

Carbon is just fancy plastic. If you drop it, it breaks.

STEEL IS REAL

+Quote Post
realred914
post Apr 20 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 11,541

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) i really like my trex aluminum farme, near 25 years old now, still great frame. survived many accidents with it too.

fit is very important, as stated above.

i like my bike, and that rhymes, so thats it.

good luck stay safe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:36 PM