Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> TOT - bike info needed, Looking for a nice frame
Porcharu
post Apr 16 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

I am starting to look for a nice steel frame to replace the nasty aluminum Klein that I currently have. Looking for a nice long distance setup, not a race frame. Nothing real fancy needed - but something worthy of Campy Record (almost 20 years old now) componants. Any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 42)
PRS914-6
post May 26 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #41

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

Looks great! Congratulations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) it's always rewarding to build stuff isn't it? I noticed a definite improvement in ride quality with a carbon seat post but the're so expensive for a good one.

charliew....RE the seats...I tried about 10 different seats before finding one that worked for me. The trick is to find the right shape so that your "sit bones" on your ass contact the seat properly. Get it wrong and it results in very short rides and the need for Preparation H. For me seat selection was the most difficult part of getting into cycling. A $150.00 seat can rub you worse than a $20.00 seat if it is not the right shape for you. The fit for me was this seat that was pretty cheap and has the slot\relief that is a must for comfort. It's a little softer but has a great shape.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post May 27 2010, 09:11 PM
Post #42

Thanks. Now I get to do all the fine tuning and find a modern seat - I will take a good look at the one you use. This weekend it will come with me to the house in the Sierras and try it out on some real hills and see if I guessed right on the gearing.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post May 31 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #43

Did my first real ride this morning - ouch. I bit off WAY more than I was ready for. Went out for a mile or so and then attacked a few hills in the foothills. I was not ready and paid with pain for going for a huge hill on my first ride in 7 years. When Ihit my low gear of 30-23 and pretty much stalled I knew I was fat, old and out of shape (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I'm really glad that I did not do my planned ride that started out with going down hill for 5 miles and then coming back up a different route - I would have died or walked barefoot back home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Now I have to get less fat and less out of shape. I just put the 26 tooth rear cog cassette back on the bike and will hit some smaller hills in the morning.
I forgot to mention that this frame/fork combo is like riding on a cloud compared to that nasty crit frame I used to ride - really very nice and I can't wait to get back on it.
Steve
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:42 AM