Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Solving V8 Conversion overheating, Exhausting out the HOOD is THE answer
stewteral
post May 8 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #21

Old Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(stewteral @ Apr 24 2010, 10:00 AM) *

Hey V8 conversion 914ers,

I’ve been running my car for some 7 years now and chose to exhaust the radiator out the bottom of the car. It seemed to work fine, but in the 100 degree summer heat of Willow Springs, I was seeing water hitting 250 degrees with fans blazing.

We all know that from the 60’s, race cars have vented out to TOP of the hood and it worked well for a friend’s Corvair 327 Chevy we ran at Riverside (142 MPH on the short course back straight). However, I originally didn’t want the car to look too “radical.” When I got the car running it had 11” fender flairs, side scoops, roof scoop and a wing……Ya’ cops won’t notice my car!

With some time before my next event, I redid the whole radiator layout where I sealed the bottom of the trunk, HACKED a hole in the hood and fabricated radiator shrouding and an exhaust air dam. I upgraded my fans too.

This morning in 60 degree temps, I took the car for a drive AROUND town at low speeds to see if I could keep it from overheating in traffic, as it used to. What I found surprised me: I drove the whole run with NO fans and water temp at 140 degrees. When I was caught by a stop light, the temp went up to 160, but once moving again, it moved back down.

I jumped on the freeway and both oil and water dove down to 120 again. EUREKA, I have found my solution!

Conclusion:
-Of course 120 is lower than desired, in spite of the 180 degree T-stat, but I’m aiming at the right temp ON-Track in Summer. If I want to so some street driving, I can always tape off some of my intake opening.

-In the previous configuration, I would have had to run the radiator + oil cooler fans and worry about over heating, now with NO fans, the temps are on the low side.

-Before, the oil temp would exceed the water temp by some 30 degrees, now the oil matched the water temps, at least in street driving.

-The internal hood bracing defines the hole shape as a trapezoid, so I cut all the width I could get right to left. The back edge is defined by the rear wall of the trunk and from there I measured 12” forward, held my breath, and cut.

-If your V8 car is on the edge of overheating and big fans aren’t enough, give this a try. Mine is a pure “racer” design, but our friend byndbad914 came up with an attractive louvered approach that keeps his 500 HP small-block cool. In another design, AndyS created a very attractive molded “air dam” for his LS1 conversion.

Being pleased to see all the work was worth it, I wanted to pass it along.

Best,
Terry

Hey Conversion Guys,

There is yet ANOTHER benefit to exhausting our the hood of the 914 that I forgot to pass on: the 12" trapezoidal piece defined by the hood support ribs weighed 5 LBS!!!
Ah!....More weight reduction!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Terry
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
charliew
post May 15 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

I didn't think to ask the owner what it was but a new mustang was parked at a whataburger in Belton, Tx. awhile back. I was in a hurry to get to nth austin and didn't hang around. It had a real nice hood vent that looked like it would be perfect on the 914. I have since looked for it online but haven't found it. It may have been a complete hood vent arrangement but it looked perfect for the 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Aug 3 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #23

Unregistered

I had the same experience with my six conversion. When I was running a 2.7 the front oil cooler was vented through the wheel wells. When the 2.7 went KABLAMMO! and the teener got a 3.2. The oil temps started getting over 210 even in Seattle. By venting the hot air up and out the hood, the oil temps went down over 25 degrees.

I didn't want to spend big buck on an full width oil cooler so I sourced a NASCAR refuge Setrab cooler that is only 13"x6"x2". This leaves room for brake cooling ducts on the outsides of the oil cooler opening. No loovers, just a wickerbill on the leading edge.

Cheers,

Eddie
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:13 PM