Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Super light fiber panels, Do you think folks would want them??
aircooledtechguy
post Apr 29 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #1

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm considering approaching my neighbor in the business park who makes molds and performs infusion molding of racing boat parts, about possibly making a set of infusion molds for the front and rear trunk lids and head light covers. I know that there are a couple companies who make fiberglass body panels and such, but I know of no one who does them through infusion which results in a super thin, super light piece. Just as an example they are making 26' sailboats that sleep 4, INCLUDING 850# of lead in the keel and all the rigging, they weigh a mere 2200#!!

Infusion is basically laying dry carbon, kevlar, fiberglass etc and a coring materiel like foam or balsa (like the original GT parts) stacked in a mold. Bag it and pulling about 28-30 inches of mercury vacuum on the bag. Then under the vacuum, you inject resin. The vacuum compresses the layers and pulls all un-necessary resin from the part. When finished you have a super thin, super strong, super light panel that weighs just a couple of pounds, literally.

Do you all think there would be much of a market for that sort of thing. I think they would be really cool and super, super light for track cars or weekend bombers.

Give me your thoughts. . .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
GeorgeRud
post Apr 29 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Market would probably be very limited by price. A small, niche market doesn't lend itself very well to these types of projects unless there is very little tooling costs that need to be amoritized.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Apr 29 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
it depends on the cost. A fiberglass deck/hood can be had for around 400. CF in the 800 range.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 29 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The FG ones sell somewhat regularly, but the CF ones don't seem to sell much at all. So unless you can get to something near the cost of the FG ones, you probably will have about three customers total.

We 914 folks still seem to be pretty cheap bestids, or at the least we want a reasonable quantifiable result for our money. The CF lids seem to be a lot of money for pretty diminishing returns (e.g., saves 5 whole pounds over the FG lid, woo!).

--DD
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Apr 29 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #5

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Please make me a 914 carbon fiber targa top that weighs 5 lbs or less. I will sell old surfboards, bikes and other toys to afford it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

My 1.7 loves that I dropped 50-60 lbs by swapping to CF lids front and rear. Of course, I got a smokin deal on a used set here several years back. I can't believe I am sayin this, but make them for Boxters. Mo and mo people are hacking into them for race cars, and the availability of FG panels and FENDERs for these projects is limited.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 08:48 PM