Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How's my valvetrain geometry look?
Cevan
post Apr 29 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,351

I'm attempting this for the first time. I'm using 1.7 rockers that have been decked .060 and 911 swivel adjusters. The cam I'm using has an advertised lift of .465 for both intake and exhaust.

On the intake side, my lift was .482 with the geometry at its best, but still not straight. It seemed I needed to back the adjuster out even farther. I had the adjuster about 3 turns in from when the threads started disappearing.

So I used .030 washers under each pad to see what shimming the rocker assembly up would do (this is only to see how shims will effect things). At about 3 turns in (as above) on the intake, I got a net lift of .482, within the 5% limit per Jake's valvetrain geometry article.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

So I go over to the exhaust side. Again, I need to keep backing the adjust out to get the geometry looking correct. At 3 turns in, my net lift is .453.

Attached Image

Both the intake (.482) and exhaust (.453) net lift are within 5% of the advertised lift. Is this much of a difference going to be a problem? The motor is a 2056.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 30 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Are those pictures at full lift?
The adjuster should be in line with the valve at half-lift.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Apr 30 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #3

The pictures are all at half of net lift.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 30 2010, 06:30 AM
Post #4

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

At 1/2 lift, the look good, like they are in 1 plane with each other.

Zach
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 30 2010, 07:14 AM
Post #5

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

I cant believe Zach didnt mention, you are going to need to grind down and re-slot the the adjusters lest they impact your valve cover over and over again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Looks good otherwise.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Apr 30 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #6

I was going to check the adjuster to valve cover clearance with clay. I assume I'll need to take about .030 off. Will I have an issue with the difference in intake and exhaust lift?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 30 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #7

En Garde!

You should not, so long as you are within the 5% tolerance... We had to grind down all of mine a little and re-slot them.

Zach
+Quote Post
type11969
post Apr 30 2010, 07:52 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 30 2010, 05:14 AM) *

I cant believe Zach didnt mention, you are going to need to grind down and re-slot the the adjusters lest they impact your valve cover over and over again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Looks good otherwise.

Checking this is a good idea but I have two engines running 1.7L rockers with 911 adjusters and have no valve cover interference issues. Just saying you don't need to pull out the grinder yet.

-Chris
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Apr 30 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(type11969 @ Apr 30 2010, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 30 2010, 05:14 AM) *

Checking this is a good idea but I have two engines running 1.7L rockers with 911 adjusters and have no valve cover interference issues. Just saying you don't need to pull out the grinder yet.

-Chris

I think because I'm using a shim uder the rocker pads, everything will sit a little higher.
+Quote Post
type11969
post Apr 30 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,410

Ahh, missed that
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 30 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #11

En Garde!

I had to space mine out a little to get them right. W/O the spacers, I could not get the geo right.

I ended up using my calipers to find 4 washers exactly the same thickness AND the thickness I needed to get things to work. Once spaced, the geo pretty much fell right into place. I think we ended up grinding off a little more then the thickness of the washers off the top of each adjuster and then just recutting the slot. on mine they JUST barely kissed the inside of the rocker cover when the engine was cold, but you could hear them start to "tack tack tack tack" against the rocker cover as it heated up.

Zach
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Apr 30 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #12

I ordered a spacer kit from Aircooled.net, which has 3 different thickness shims. Right now I'm just using .030 washers to see if that would work.

In the meantime, I've got to remove some material from the other 3 aluminum rockershaft spacers to get the right gap (.003-.005 I believe). Always something to do. These are definately not slap together engines.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post May 2 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #13

With the .030 rocker pad spacers in place, I used some clay on the back side of the rocker cover. With the valves closed, I have at least .100 between the top of the adjusters and the cover. I think this will be enough.
+Quote Post
Als914
post May 2 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #14

Lighting my way

Member No.: 5,346
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cevan @ May 2 2010, 01:37 PM) *

With the .030 rocker pad spacers in place, I used some clay on the back side of the rocker cover. With the valves closed, I have at least .100 between the top of the adjusters and the cover. I think this will be enough.

Are you using stock valve covers. I am in the process of setting up my VT geometry but I have the polished aluminum covers. I have had these on the heads for years so I can't remember which one or the other has a taller internal stance?
+Quote Post
Cevan
post May 2 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Als914 @ May 2 2010, 04:55 PM) *

Are you using stock valve covers. I am in the process of setting up my VT geometry but I have the polished aluminum covers. I have had these on the heads for years so I can't remember which one or the other has a taller internal stance?

I'm using the stock covers. I haven't heard any good things about the aftermarket covers that are bolted on.
+Quote Post
Als914
post May 2 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #16

Lighting my way

Member No.: 5,346
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cevan @ May 2 2010, 03:33 PM) *

I'm using the stock covers. I haven't heard any good things about the aftermarket covers that are bolted on.

I have had them on my daily driver for over 200K miles (I am the original owner) with no issues. My question wasn't what your preference is, I was hoping to find if there is a difference in internal hight from the gasket seat, one to the other.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 2 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #17

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Chris,

It looks wicked pissa.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post May 2 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Als914 @ May 2 2010, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ May 2 2010, 03:33 PM) *

I have had them on my daily driver for over 200K miles (I am the original owner) with no issues. My question wasn't what your preference is, I was hoping to find if there is a difference in internal hight from the gasket seat, one to the other.

No problem. I only have experience (limited at that) with the OEM covers.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 2 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #19

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The stock covers curve inward at the top and bottom. The aftermarket ones are just about square, so they have more room at the top and bottom.

And I'm quite surprised that you're getting the bolt-on ones to fit and seal up! Good job, hopefully you'll write up a thread on how you did it.

--DD
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post May 3 2010, 05:55 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cevan @ Apr 29 2010, 09:36 PM) *

I'm attempting this for the first time. I'm using 1.7 rockers that have been decked .060 and 911 swivel adjusters. The cam I'm using has an advertised lift of .465 for both intake and exhaust.

On the intake side, my lift was .482 with the geometry at its best, but still not straight. It seemed I needed to back the adjuster out even farther. I had the adjuster about 3 turns in from when the threads started disappearing.

So I used .030 washers under each pad to see what shimming the rocker assembly up would do (this is only to see how shims will effect things). At about 3 turns in (as above) on the intake, I got a net lift of .482, within the 5% limit per Jake's valvetrain geometry article.

So I go over to the exhaust side. Again, I need to keep backing the adjust out to get the geometry looking correct. At 3 turns in, my net lift is .453.

Both the intake (.482) and exhaust (.453) net lift are within 5% of the advertised lift. Is this much of a difference going to be a problem? The motor is a 2056.

Chris nice job. I'm curious what your final push rod length was for intake and exhaust. Also, can you describe and/or photo how you mounted the dial indicator?

-- Rob
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:28 PM