Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I want this 914. Can anyone tell me about it?, just some pretty simple questions
chunger
post Apr 3 2004, 04:10 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 133

I started in on a V8 conversion. Thought to make it reliable and fun. It's going to be upwards of $16,000 when all's said and done.

includes:
strong trans $$
proven radiator setup
ok brakes
decent suspension
good motor w/MPFI
cage

It's cost about the same as a rightly done flat 6. . . but in my personal cost/benefit estimations I come out with some impotant advantages:

can buy many used-to-be-expensive maintenance parts at Kragen
Can kinda afford to blow up a motor. . . not the trans but the motor.
very real possibility of exceeding 400 hp and all the yee-ha! that involves (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

You can't get better hp per dollar than with the Chevy small block. If I decided to go with a properly specced nitrous motor, it's not outside the realm of reason to be able to extract well upwards of 600hp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) . . . if you can get it to the ground in a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

So I chose SBC and with my limited fabricating capabilities, I liked having lotsa "kit" pieces I can buy from other people. . . and chances of failure are lower because the proceedure is well documented. Is it going to be too much car for me to handle? Yeah. . . Is it too expensive for me to take on? Yeah. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

-'Chung
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jbell
post Apr 3 2004, 01:22 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,875

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 2 2004, 10:38 PM)
what does the turbo subaru swap generally run?

adapter plate and flywheel is pretty much the only constant here at close to $900 I think

figure $2000 at a minimum if you do the work yourself and use parts from the autowreckers

eBay will give you an idea what the prices are for motors and other stuff.........it is not cheap or easy.....

if its so difficult, maybe i'll stick with the annihilator....
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 3 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #23

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

here is the turbo 2 motor you want to use in a 914, about 325hp to the rear wheels.
We got it from Japan for $1500 out of a Cosmo. The money to make it work is going to set you back atleast another $5000 for everything.
If you want good over 200hp in a 914 this is the best cost benefit budget:
buy the best rust free 914 you can buy even one with dead motor-$4500
have Brad install a 911 3.2 FI motor in it with all new correct parts- $10,000

Drive it

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jbell
post Apr 3 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 3 2004, 11:45 AM)
here is the turbo 2 motor you want to use in a 914, about 325hp to the rear wheels.
We got it from Japan for $1500 out of a Cosmo. The money to make it work is going to set you back atleast another $5000 for everything.
If you want good over 200hp in a 914 this is the best cost benefit budget:
buy the best rust free 914 you can buy even one with dead motor-$4500
have Brad install a 911 3.2 FI motor in it with all new correct parts- $10,000

Drive it

lol. my budget is far from that. i looks like a great option, but im trying to keep this in the 5000, 6000 dollar range.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 3 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #25

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

ok, buy the best 2.0l 914 you can find for $5-6k and drive it. Building a high hp car cost money and the return when you sell it is $.10 on the dollar.

or find a project car that is half done and finish it.

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 4 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #26

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Honda 4 bangers and Corvair are the only reverse rotation motors out.

The Chevy V-6's vibrate at 900 and 2500rpm, it's fine the rest of the range. It has something to do with frequency harmonics at those rpms. (might be the wrong term, I'm not an educated car builder (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

The sr20det is a bitch'n motor. $1500 complete running any day of the week. Aftermarket up the ying-yang.
Sure it won't fit?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Actually my next motor, maybe, is so rare in the USA that I'm not going to tell you what it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) but then neither did the Max technically (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Chris
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 4 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #27

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Skyline GTR?
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 4 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #28

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Even though a 914 is a budget Porsche, no classic car is something you want if you are on a strict budget. There was a topic recently on the cost of ownership. For a stock 914, figure on average $1K/year if you do everything yourself and $2K/year+ if you have a wrench do the work for you.

For any kind of horsepower - even stock horsepower when you need a rebuild, you need to bring big $$$. You might be able to shave the cost of a stock rebuild to $2K if you could do it yourself but figure on $4-5K to have it done right.

At first I was shocked at the cost of Jake's engines but now I'm thinking that one of his 150hp $7000 represents a lot of bang for the buck. Especially, when you consider that you don't have to do any fabrication and you have a 100K mile motor that is built correctly.

Beyond that, it would be a tough choice on whether to spend $10K on a type 4 with nickies or go for the 3.2L six conversion (you get a used engine with probably a good amount of mileage on it).

Jbell, your best bet would go and see if that v8 conversion is still for sale. You probably can't duplicate it for what you can buy it for.
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Apr 4 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 366

I have a buick 3.8 liter V6, which is 3/4 of a 350 chevy. yes, there are some vibrations at some rpms, but it isn't bad enough for me. The car is extremely fast, and unlike some V8 conversions, no need to cut into the rear trunk. radiator installation is not to difficult, and the V6 used the renegrade V8 mounting plate.

My V6 has a high rise manifold, lumpy cam, four barrel carb, (yeah it gets half the milage, maybe even slightly less than the stock motor) headers, and makes a very neat hot rod sound. As I said, very fast. Off the line it beats most cars. I now of others with some very nice V8 conversions also. Also with the powerband, I can drive in third or fourth gear all day (yes, start from a dead stop in fourth!, although this is not recommneded, it is possible)

The American V6 or V8 engines are inexpensive, tons of aftermarket speed parts are also cheap. down side is they are a bit heavy, and raise the CG if the car a bit (unless you go with aluminum heads, or even an aluminum block, but that ads to the cost)

V6/V8 = cheap torque and HP.

a more ideal engine might be a lighter wieght subaru flat motor, or even a rotory mazda, but he cost would normally be higher.

My stock tranny is holding up , just do not abuse it, it all comes down to driver foot control. There are possibilities of different gear ratios, wish it had an overdrive for the freeway, but that can wait.

set a budget, and decide which way to go,

WARNING: Tons of torque, and speed is highly addicting!

good luck in your choice.

dave
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 5 2004, 01:14 AM
Post #30

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 4 2004, 08:22 AM)
Skyline GTR?

Straight six, way no fit. But a potent TT with 500hp easily. It's also about $5500. Good guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-------
The 4.3L is 3/4 the 350 Chevy V-8. You were right on everything else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jbell
post Apr 5 2004, 12:22 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 4 2004, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 4 2004, 08:22 AM)
Skyline GTR?

Straight six, way no fit. But a potent TT with 500hp easily. It's also about $5500. Good guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-------
The 4.3L is 3/4 the 350 Chevy V-8. You were right on everything else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

300zx engine.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 09:47 PM