Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turn signal cancelling ring, are there early and late types?
carl k
post May 5 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,440
Region Association: None

My turn signal switch (the type with the visible W wire clip) was not working on one side so I put in a different one (without visible W wire), and now the self-cancelling feature doesn't work. I remember when getting the car on the road for the first time I put in a different set of switches and I had to swap out the cancelling ring to get it to work. Are the cancelling rings different for the two types of switches? Or is there some adjustment I need to make?

thanks!
Carl K.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Owensby
post May 5 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #2

JoeO

Member No.: 5,385
Region Association: South East States

I had a switch that didn't cancel many years ago. I noticed that the little plastic sliding piece that is pulled by the w spring had broken. I took a piece of aluminum and a file, and after about 15 minutes I had a similarly shaped piece. I put this in with a little grease, and it lasted about 15 years. JoeO
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 5 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(carl k @ May 5 2010, 03:02 PM) *

My turn signal switch (the type with the visible W wire clip) was not working on one side so I put in a different one (without visible W wire), and now the self-cancelling feature doesn't work. I remember when getting the car on the road for the first time I put in a different set of switches and I had to swap out the cancelling ring to get it to work. Are the cancelling rings different for the two types of switches? Or is there some adjustment I need to make?

thanks!
Carl K.

the canceling feature on the replacement switch is not there. That is what the w wire helps work.
+Quote Post
carl k
post May 10 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,440

Hi-

Thanks for the reply. I had just assumed the mechanisms were different. The one I put on doesn't have the W-clip, but I think I have a spare. I will get the wheel off and have a look.

regards

Carl

the canceling feature on the replacement switch is not there. That is what the w wire helps work.
[/quote]
+Quote Post
Tom
post May 10 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Anyone have pics of these? My self cancelling has never worked, someday I need to get in there to fix it and I will need to see how it should look.
Thanks,
Tom
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post May 10 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

My recent experience for what it is worth on turn signal cancelling rings and otherwise mechanism inside the turnsignal switch itself which has spring and pivoting clip..

I finally got in there and got everything in place as is needed w/ new turn signal switch for electric washer pump ect and it worked the canceling was nice and sweet and no more leaving the turn signal on at the grocery store parking lot, I later that same week straightened out my steering wheel wobble, installed a new igniton housing and trued it ect.. put it all back together, it did not work anymore, frustrated and because I have a 930s steering wheel which
makes it a pain to dissamble. I just lived without the cancell feature again.

Later the same month my ignition switch failed so back into the column again, a rush job as I was on the road,
when I was done replacing it and re-assembling the column the cancelling feature
worked again and has ever since..

Been in the coumn to many times, more than the above, and this is what I figured out..

Long story short version, If you tighten your steering wheel to the column too
tight you can disable the cancelling feature..
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:26 PM