Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> First test drive, ready for tahoe
Lennies914
post May 8 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #1

Slacker

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

Today I got my windshield installed so I was able to drive my car for the first time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (other than up and down my street twice). My nieghbor Jeff (jt914-6), who has been insturmental in my build, was here so we jumped in, buckled up and headed for jeeperjohn's house for the test drive and to check on his progress. The car was running beautiful (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) I think the flat spots in the tires were even rounding out! We got about 11 miles from home when we approached an intersection and the brake pedal hit the floor. After a breif panic (and Jeff screaming to grab the e-brake) we successfully skided to a stop 1/4 of the way into the intersection (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . For the rest of the drive home, no brakes. Once into the driveway and out of the car it was evident the problem was at the right front wheel. Brake fluid everywhere. It turns out that the four bolts that hold the front caliper together had not been tighten and had backed out allowing the caliper to seperate. After removing the caliper and inspecting it there was no damage to the o-rings. Reassemble, qwick trip to get more brake fluid and rebleed the brakes. Oh ya and check the other calipers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . We were off for another test drive. It's all good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . More driving tommorrow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Glad it happened here and not on the way to Tahoe!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Mike Bellis
post May 8 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Glad to hear it! I'm sure many of us are bringing tools with us just in case. With trailerd cars following us... Hope we don't need a tow. I've been double checking everything too. When I bought mine, I flew to LA and drive it to NorCal. When I got home I found ALL CV bolts about to fall off! Not sure what kept them on. 7 hours on the road with no problems until I looked under it when I got home. I had no tools with me on the drive. My 12pt CV tool in my box in the garage. I'm sure glad they did not come loose on the road. Moral of the story, check your CV's! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post May 9 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Slacker

I didn't think there was an untouched bolt on the car. I didn't check these cause they were new calipers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
Started putting my tool box together as well. After todays drive I just realized I might want to put some TP in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post May 9 2010, 06:03 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

If that happened to me with the wife in the car I would have to include toilet paper in the checklist!! Glad you came through that okay. Happy motoring, in your future trips!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 9 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

This is exactly the situation that makes me cringe when I think of those people who've installed 'upgrade' rear brakes and have no more emergency brake.

Glad it's all okay! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 9 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #6

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) Yep, talk about a scary moment!! Cars at that intersection are always going 60-65mph when the light is green!!

We were lucky!

I second the CV Bolts check!!! I have had some loosen up on me but I noticed before it was a problem!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Your car is looking great and it has been fun putting it together!

PS: Wow jt914-6 flew out from Arkansas to help you??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 9 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #7

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(McMark @ May 9 2010, 08:34 AM) *

This is exactly the situation that makes me cringe when I think of those people who've installed 'upgrade' rear brakes and have no more emergency brake.

Glad it's all okay! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The PO of my car installed 930 brakes with no E brake. I purchased and installed a hydraullic E brake. I know it's not the same but it works! Hope I don't loose all my fluid though. I'm not sure if I could ever source all the Factory E brake parts for a 930/914 hybrid system.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 9 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

Congrats. I have the brake switch, i'll drop it off.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 9 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #9

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

For those on the world awhile back questioning we old timers calling it an "e-brake" or an "emergency brake" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

~ & not a " 'parking brake' ... that I [you] don't need anyway when you're parking...." etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Point made!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Thanx Lennie & glad the ole e-brake worked for you & the cables didn't bind up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post May 9 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #10

Slacker

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 9 2010, 11:36 AM) *

For those on the world awhile back questioning we old timers calling it an "e-brake" or an "emergency brake" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

~ & not a " 'parking brake' ... that I [you] don't need anyway when you're parking...." etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Point made!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Thanx Lennie & glad the ole e-brake worked for you & the cables didn't bind up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Funny you mentioned that Tom, I said the same thing to Jeff. It was truly an emergency brake and not a parking brake yesterday!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 10 2010, 09:12 AM
Post #11

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thank goodness for a working E-Brake!
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 10 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Especially in that intersection! One road is a 50MPH speed limit, the other was a 55. Could have been toast for sure.
+Quote Post
realred914
post May 10 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #13

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

yup, EMERGENCY brake. new cars tend to lack them and only have a parking brake (Pee - Brake) some new hondas I could drive all day long with the Pee-brake on and not even notice it. heck the rear drums were so tiny they made teh drums on my VW Bug look massive!!!

the idea of the E-brake goes back to the days of single circuit hydrolic brakes. then your only back up was the E-brake. since the mid sixties duel circuit brakes have become the norm so the need for the E-brake is less.

I am surprised that in the above story that all hydrolic braking was lost when only the front caliper leaked. with the dual circuit system, the driver still should have had full rear disc brake function, which would be as good as the E-brake.

I'd question why the rear hydrolic syustem did not take over and stop the car. the rear system appear to have failed also. if you only address the front leaking caliper, you have not addressed the non-functinal rear hydrolic system.

Go back and repair your rear hydrolic circuit, it has surely let you down in this case and is dangerous to drive until it is repaired.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 10 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #14

Ski Bum

All of the fluid draind out of the resevor/master cylinder and out the front right caliper! It was not just leaking a little bit, the caliper split in two when the 4 bolts backed out enough to allow it!
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 10 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 10 2010, 09:40 AM) *

the caliper split in two !

Bet you split your shorts in two from the pucker as well !
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 10 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

The reservoir is split to avoid having a leak from one circuit drain all the fluid from both circuits. There's a possibility that if Lennie had stepped harder on the pedal or lifted and stepped again, the rear brakes would have functioned, although you still won't stop as fast.

But it's really hard to think of all that in the 1.5 seconds while it's happening. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
realred914
post May 10 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2010, 09:55 AM) *

The reservoir is split to avoid having a leak from one circuit drain all the fluid from both circuits. There's a possibility that if Lennie had stepped harder on the pedal or lifted and stepped again, the rear brakes would have functioned, although you still won't stop as fast.

But it's really hard to think of all that in the 1.5 seconds while it's happening. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

soem thing is wrong, the rear brakes shoudl have worked with only the leak in the front caliper. In fact I think you wont need to pump them, the rears should have come on and brakes with the first peddle full stroke. seeing as it is logical too press harder on the pedel when your failing to stop, I assume he did that.

If the rear hydrolic brakes did not work, and stopping had to happen with the hand brake, I believe there is a serius defect in the rear hydrolic brakes. No pumping should be required to work the rear brakes even if the fronts lose all fluid. some thing aint right, get it fixxed!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 10 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #18

Ski Bum

Lennie did the venting clearances on the rear and I didn't double check them but he said they were set to .004. But, I think he did it before the final bleeding! I guess that could have accounted for the rears not working. They did slow the car a bit but not enough to stop it from even 15 mph!
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 10 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(realred914 @ May 10 2010, 10:27 AM) *

soem thing is wrong, the rear brakes shoudl have worked with only the leak in the front caliper. In fact I think you wont need to pump them, the rears should have come on and brakes with the first peddle full stroke. seeing as it is logical too press harder on the pedel when your failing to stop, I assume he did that.

If the rear hydrolic brakes did not work, and stopping had to happen with the hand brake, I believe there is a serius defect in the rear hydrolic brakes. No pumping should be required to work the rear brakes even if the fronts lose all fluid. some thing aint right, get it fixxed!!!!!!

I believe you would have to at least pump once to get the rears working. The initial fail would only allow the differential piston to move forward, not enough fluid in that initial pump to engage the rear brakes. The following pump should start the rear brakes working, since the residual pressure in the front system is gone. If there is zero fluid in the supply line, I don't think the rears will really work at all, since the second pump will now require fluid to re-fill the master. Thats why modern cars have two distinct reservoirs for fluid.
+Quote Post
realred914
post May 10 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(underthetire @ May 10 2010, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ May 10 2010, 10:27 AM) *

I believe you would have to at least pump once to get the rears working. The initial fail would only allow the differential piston to move forward, not enough fluid in that initial pump to engage the rear brakes. The following pump should start the rear brakes working, since the residual pressure in the front system is gone. If there is zero fluid in the supply line, I don't think the rears will really work at all, since the second pump will now require fluid to re-fill the master. Thats why modern cars have two distinct reservoirs for fluid.

the 914 does have two distink resevoirs, molded in one container, it has two lines to feed the master, one for front, one for back. with the front out of fluid, the peddle travel would be much more, but the rears shoudl have worked. I do not belive pumping is required to get the rears to work, (I might be wrong but that is my understanding of the system. at any rate he had no hydrolic brakes, dont know if he pumped or not. Something dont seem right

the 914 came with a dual circuit system specifically design to allow one circuit to function with complete fluid loss of the other circuit.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:53 PM