Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First test drive, ready for tahoe
EdwardBlume
post May 10 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #21

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Holy crap... I'm glad you guys are OK...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 10 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

I doubt the 914 has a true dual setup.

When bleeding the brakes on a 914, if i open the bleeder screw on just one caliper, the brake pedal goes to the floor with the first push and you will NOT be able to pump it back up to get any brake engagement on any of the wheels until the bleeder screw is closed.

In a scenario where one caliper splits/explodes or a line pops, one would expect the same behavior.

Which is, sudden and complete loss of all 4 brakes.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post May 10 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #23

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

Just got home and I'm cathing up on the thread. Trust me, I was pumping the hell out of the brakes. I understand the theory on the resivoir being divided. But now that everything is back together and rebled, I can lock up all four brakes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) The master cylinder and all four calipers are brand new (rebuilts) and seem to function. So do I need to investigate further? Is anyone going to want to be in front of me in the caravan to Tahoe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 10 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ May 10 2010, 06:48 PM) *

Just got home and I'm cathing up on the thread. Trust me, I was pumping the hell out of the brakes. I understand the theory on the resivoir being divided. But now that everything is back together and rebled, I can lock up all four brakes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) The master cylinder and all four calipers are brand new (rebuilts) and seem to function. So do I need to investigate further? Is anyone going to want to be in front of me in the caravan to Tahoe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Able to lock up all 4, now thats impossible!

Actually, I lost all the fluid from a bad caliper when I first got the car. It would just barely brake.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 10 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The factory manuals state that it's a dual circuit system and that you should still have braking power in the event of a line failure (or similar). BUT, there seems to be an overwhelming lack of information regarding how when and why this safety feature comes into play.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 10 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #26

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2010, 08:27 PM) *

The factory manuals state that it's a dual circuit system and that you should still have braking power in the event of a line failure (or similar). BUT, there seems to be an overwhelming lack of information regarding how when and why this safety feature comes into play.

I had a similar failure as 'Lennies914'.

The drivers side rear caliper blew up and that resulted in a INSTANT loss of all brakes.

The pedal went straight to the floor and pumping did not yield any stopping ability ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 11 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #27

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Having been in the car I can say that there was very minimal, if any, ability to stop the car! I felt it slow as Lennie pressed the brake but it would not stop if there was nothing else to slow it down even with the pumping!! Thats why I yelled "grab the e-brake"!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:55 PM