Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shifters, short shift install, Does the "chrome" bar twist off?
Andyrew
post Apr 3 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

So Im cleaning everything for me to weld my clutch tube in place, I found out where my restriction was when trying to get it to go right on the side of the firewall, My heater lever was holding the tube on the other side (btw the PO did a hack job of a clutch tube repair.. put a screw and welded the tube to the screw that was bolted in the bottom of the car, put the tube in the middle of the center tunnel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif), then it casually broke loose..) So I took off the heater lever, and hopefully when I weld the clutch tube I can get the lever back in place. Anyways, my question..

Does the chrome piece on the shifter twist off from right on top of the big ball? Dad think so, but I dont. My main reason for asking this is the short shift shifter that I have seems to be turned to the right about 45 degree's.. causing a truck like shifting (full arm extention..) I dont like that for obvious reasons, and I want to put it back to normal.. Do I have to cut off the shift lever and reweld it? Or does that piece screw on?

Thanks

Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 3 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 3 2004, 12:31 PM)
Do I have to cut off the shift lever and reweld it? Or does that piece screw on?

you do not have to weld it, unless you consider JBWeld welding. it does not screw in.
it's just epoxy'd (JBWeld...)

secure the shaft in a vise and use a propane torch to heat the big metal thing until right around the point the epoxy smokes - that's where it's heated enough to yeild.

tap the ball off with a brass hammer, being mindful of where a heavy and very hot thing will land.

when you're ready to re-assemble, mix up a fresh batch of whatever epoxy you like and ta-da, just like the factory did it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:24 PM