Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creamsicle Found!, The saga continues...
poorsche914
post May 17 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #21

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

Well... the few times today that I had a chance to run out to the LE the rain started. I did manage to get the engine number: GA 013105

Looks like the rain has stopped so I think I'll go pull the driver side rocker covers now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
charliew
post May 17 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

If it's in the rain and the rear window is leaking you might as well punch some holes in the floor for it to drain. Harbor freight tarps are cheap, but don't cover it up wet.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 17 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #23

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(charliew @ May 17 2010, 09:03 PM) *

If it's in the rain and the rear window is leaking you might as well punch some holes in the floor for it to drain. Harbor freight tarps are cheap, but don't cover it up wet.

Thanks, the rear window is not leaking.
I need to clear out a space in the garage to get it out of the weather. No use feeding the rust.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 19 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #24

T4 Supercharged

Decided to pull the spark plugs to check their condition.
#2 and #4 look good but #1 and #3 are extremely oily (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.volksbraggin.com-10419-1274312406.1.jpg)

While looking at the ECU, something looked odd... no adjustment knob! So I removed it from its mount to check the model number. Grrrr, it's from a 1.7 as are the yellow injectors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

I have an ECU & harness from a '73 2.0 but don't know the exact number since the tag is worn. Will either 022 906 021 AU or 022 906 021 EU work on the '74 which is 039 906 021 ?

Seeing the 1.7 FI parts got me worried so I pulled the MPS to check its number. Whew, it's an 043 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.volksbraggin.com-10419-1274312407.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.volksbraggin.com-10419-1274312407.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
siverson
post May 19 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

Wow - painted rubber bumper pads. That's a first for me... Good luck with the car!
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 19 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #26

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(siverson @ May 19 2010, 10:43 PM) *

Wow - painted rubber bumper pads. That's a first for me... Good luck with the car!

Yeah, it was awful (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
I performed a mastectomy today and removed the cancerous tits and bumper top. Into the trash they go along with the crappy home made carpet, rusty rocker panels, and other assorted "junk". When last driven, PO was a teen. I suppose he thought his mods were cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

On the plus side I have located a tan interior - seats, back pad, center cushion and carpet set. Now I just need the door panels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 19 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #27

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 19 2010, 07:40 PM) *

I have an ECU & harness from a '73 2.0 but don't know the exact number since the tag is worn. Will either 022 906 021 AU or 022 906 021 EU work on the '74 which is 039 906 021 ?

I did some research on the pbanders awesome D-jet page and found out the '73 ECU I have will not work. So guess I will have to search for an 043 or 044 unit.
+Quote Post
michaelmoo
post May 20 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 2,092

poorsche914, PM me. I might be able to point you to a guy that has a tan interior for sale (I cant remember if it was brown or tan), but he has a lot of good 914 parts for sale. I also might have a 74 2.0 "ECU". I'll have to check.

Mike
+Quote Post
scrz914
post May 20 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,960
Region Association: Central California

You can also call Glenn at PelicanParts as they have used ECU's and can probably come up with a '74.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 20 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #30

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 20 2010, 09:51 PM) *

You can also call Glenn at PelicanParts as they have used ECU's and can probably come up with a '74.

Thanks for the tip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 20 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just a little inspiration. I started my resto a year & a half or so back. Almost road worthy. Had some issues with the FI. Going to put my carbs on it so I can finally get it on the road. I'll work on the FI system on the side while I ge tthe break in miles done.

Can't way to see yours come together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 21 2010, 07:14 AM
Post #32

T4 Supercharged

I have read thru your "rustoration" several times. It's amazing how similar our cars are (were) starting out disguised under a white paint job, rust in the usual places, etc. I am now looking for an 043 or 044 ECU to put together the FI system and see how mine runs. Going to be a slow process but it's been fun so far.

BTW... your car is beautiful! Hope mine looks that nice one day.

QUOTE(JRust @ May 21 2010, 01:42 AM) *

Just a little inspiration. I started my resto a year & a half or so back. Almost road worthy. Had some issues with the FI. Going to put my carbs on it so I can finally get it on the road. I'll work on the FI system on the side while I ge tthe break in miles done.

Can't way to see yours come together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jun 6 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #33

T4 Supercharged

Update: have been searching for parts and have been quite successful. Located a carpet set with new coco mats, top bumper rubber front and rear as well as front and rear tits (eww, are the ones on the rear "back titties"?). Headed to Atlanta area on Tuesday to pick up a very nice condition tan interior including seats, back pad, and center cushion. No door panels, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Meeting up with some other teeners so should be a fun day.

mipstein scored a complete '74 FI system on ebay but decided he didn't need it after getting his '75 running. He dropped the box of goodies off at my place yesterday and I pulled the parts I needed and installed on my LE today. Rain started so I cleaned up and called it a day. Still need to install the vacuum lines and get a battery before trying to start it.

This past week I pulled the fuel tank. Poured nearly 2 cups of rust out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) So I dropped in the tank from my '73. Added new lines in the front and need to check the rest of the lines for cracking, etc.
Checked the shift linkage bushings. Coupler bushings were dust. Firewall bushing won't stay in the firewall. No wonder if felt so sloppy.

The search for parts has been fun but I am anxious to see how it runs.
The brakes were done 10 years ago and then the car parked. I know the front right locks up if the pedal is pushed. Pads are like new as far as "not worn". What should I do re: brakes? Go ahead and replace all lines? What about the calipers? Should they be OK if not leaking or ???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jun 6 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #34

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

For all the trouble and expense on the other parts, don't cheap the brakes. Ship the calipers to Eric and get them done upright. No fun to go fast if you can't stop. Great find. Now for the year installments on the rebuild. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nick73-914
post Jun 6 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 11,783
Region Association: Southwest Region

Stoked to see how this turns out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) good luck! I just bled and changed pads (ew) of my 320i brakes on my '73.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Mar 19 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #36

T4 Supercharged

Update: With the return of warm, sunny weather I have returned to troubleshooting my starting issues and finally have my LE running. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Last fall I replaced the FI system with correct '74 parts, new vac lines, fuel lines, etc Actually was able to get the car started but due to cranking and cranking and cranking without it starting, gas drained into the oil and caused some major white smoke out the exhaust. After draining the oil, changing filter, adding new oil, and changing the spark plugs... I could not get the car to start. Cranked only sometimes. Finally, not at all. No click or anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Weather turned cold and I stopped working on it.

Fast forward to March and nice weather... had what I thought was a starter issue but after trying a known good starter, same problem - nothing when key was turned. So I traced all the wiring. It all tested out good as did the ignition switch itself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I disconnected the air conditioning wiring from the battery and made sure the + cabling was tightened down good. Then I pulled the a/c wiring from the starter and found the problem. The yellow ignition wire plugged onto the a/c wire connector which then connected to the starter. The a/c wire had a weak connection to the connector. I pulled the a/c wiring and connected the yellow wire directly and the starter now works!

A full on restoration has been put on hold for the time being. Instead, I am going to get it running and drivable and slowly fix things as time and $$$ allow.

+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 19 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #37

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

How does the a/c system figure in the restoration?
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Mar 19 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #38

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 19 2011, 11:00 PM) *
How does the a/c system figure in the restoration?

At this point not a high priority. Not even sure if it was operational or not before I took it out.

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Mar 20 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #39

T4 Supercharged

Productive day: replaced the leaking upper windshield targa rubber on the LE with the one off my cancerous '73. Also cleaned out the garage space where the '73 has been, pulled it outside and parked the LE inside. No more water in the cockpit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
BK911
post Mar 21 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 1,674
Region Association: None

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 20 2011, 11:34 AM) *
Also cleaned out the garage space where the '73 has been, pulled it outside and parked the LE inside. No more water in the cockpit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Nice. I was wondering why you had a rusty car inside the garage and your LE project was outside.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:32 PM