Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel Lines and Pumps, what'll fit? lots of ??'s
3liter914-6
post Apr 4 2004, 02:41 PM
Post #1

Master of Clueless Posts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,238
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hi folks, I apologize in advance for some of the questions being ones I could figure out just by looking under my car, but I'm out of town for a few days to help a sick friend out, and want to get some parts ordered up because I want to get this together in time to drive it to Hershey.

I posted a while back asking about the fittings on the 914 gas tank, and got some good answers. Based on that thread, I was originally going to go with -8 fittings welded to outlet and return ports on the tank, but am now reconsidering this as
A. I can't find anyone to weld on a gastank, and don't really want to do it myself.
and
B. -8 fittings might be a little overkill. Google says that -6 is good up to at least 350hp.

What I was thinking of doing now is taking the stock nuts that hold the fuel pipes in place on the tank, cutting the holes a little bigger, sticking -6 male connectors through and welding them up. I think this should work and wouldn't pose any danger, but anyone who sees a fallacy in my thinking, please pipe up.

Ok, so now I'd have -6 connectors, will I be able to just run some hose back through the firewall. I was thinking of connecting the old hose up to the new one, duct taping it together use the old line to pull the new line through. I know the old line is a little smaller (AN -6 is ~3/8" size), but will the -6 still fit through or am I going to have to enlarge some holes. I can access the fuel lines through the cover in the pass compartment, right? I'd like to use bulkhead fittings, but can't think of a way to do it without cutting up the car, is it doable?

Ok, next round of questions, fuel pumps. I bought my SDS setup from a guy who was going to install it on his turbo VR6, so for the price it came with the mother of all fuel pumps.
(IMG:http://www.capa.com.au/pics/sx_sidepump.gif)
It's good for 700+hp. -10 inlet and outlet, etc etc. Overkill to the extreme. It's nice, but doesn't really fit with my needs, and I think I can throw it on ebay get another pump and come out ahead. The question is, what pump? I found one that looks nice, MSD2225 (IMG:http://www.msdignition.com/fuel/2225_big.jpg)
43 gph@40psi $99, but as you can see it has nipples for the inlet and outlet. It seems like the only aftermarket FI pumps that have AN fittings are like the one I alread have--huge and expensive. I've done all sorts of searches and looked a bunches of OE Bosch pumps etc, but haven't found one that seems usable given that I need to be at -6 for the TB fuel rails.

So to briefly recap the important questions,

Will -6 slip through the holes already in the firewall?

Is there a way to use a firewall/bulkead adapter without slicing the car up?

Is there a fuel pump that has threaded fittings that are AN or NPT, or is there a safe way to get from a nipple to AN?

Oh yeah, and I guess if anyone knows about how much I'll need to get from the tank back to the fuel pump, that'd be nice too.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks for your help, anybody who reads through this whole thread deserves a beer so if you see me at Hershey (and I hope you will), lemme know and I'll get ya a tasty beverage of your choice.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

thanks!

Adam
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
3liter914-6   Fuel Lines and Pumps   Apr 4 2004, 02:41 PM
ArtechnikA  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 02:30 AM