Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 6 Conversion Value, 6 Conversion Value
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 8 2003, 06:38 AM
Post #1

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I've got a really cherry Arizona car, with a near perfect interior, no rust (really none!), a perfect 6 conversion candidate. It does need paint, the original color is silver, and it's going to stay silver. I've also got a 2.2E or 2.2S engine to rebuild for this car. I'm trying to keep costs inline, so I was going with all new Koni shocks, and keep the four lug suspension with the BMW320i front brake upgrade.

My question is how many people out there would pay for a nice conversion car like this?

The proposed parts/price list for this car is:

car $3500
2.2E or S engine, completely rebuilt $4700
new PMO's $2200
rebuilt sideshift transmission $800
new CV's $320
Johnson firewall engine mount $450
factory heat exchangers $800
new OEM muffler $400
reproduction engine sheet metal $425
complete factory oil system (90% new parts) $1800
throttle linkage kit $240
wmeister front swaybar $240
new koni's all around $500
BMW320i front brake kit $280
paint job $3000
polished four lug Fuchs $600
new suspension bushings $200
misc hdw/etc $250

No labor is included

Anyone out there that's built a car like this knows how much it costs, so serious replies only please. Also if anyone would like to consign to purchase this car before I start, that would be cool too.

Thanks!

PK
914 Network
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 8 2003, 07:06 AM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

if i did the math right your right at 21 (w/no labor). YIKES. with that kind of dough just dress up the car w/the 4 and buy one sorted with a six. i can't imigine this work being completed over night. how long could you leave 18 grand in a box in your garage?

kevin
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Apr 8 2003, 07:16 AM
Post #3

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

Hi Perry!

Nice of you to join us over here! Welcome!

(Kevin? Perry is one of the true 914-legends, like Brad Mayeur and a handful of others. I think he's pre-advertising for a potential project.)

Sounds like a killer toy. I've thought about finding a fully sorted S motor (carbed only) for my /6. Would there be cooling problems, without a front mounted cooler? I know it's probably been covered a hundred times, but what's the limit before you need one?

-Rusty
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 8 2003, 07:29 AM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

rusty, the clouds are parting. so what ever he has to add for his time, what? another 5? i did'nt see all new oem seals, rebuilt pedal cluster/wiper assem, bumper tops,on&on& on. i believe you when you say he's a savy guy. i thought it was another newbie with a shit pot full of money to burn.

kevin
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 8 2003, 08:43 AM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nah, Perry been around 914's along time. Restores em in a shop. I remember that beautiful blue six he had.
Good to see you Perry!
Geoff
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Apr 8 2003, 08:53 AM
Post #6

He's one of the masters. You should have seen the car he built for Jim Philpot. Art of the highest quality.

Oh, and he sells those cool umbrella covers. I bought one years ago, and am still using it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Rusty
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 8 2003, 10:26 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Its a tough call Perry. We have so many *cherry* factory 6's out there in this price range, it would personally be hard for me to justify a conversion car over a factory car in the same price range. 2-3 years ago we could get 25-28k for a conversion. Right now (at least in my area) people are really jumping on the band wagon and buying very nice factory cars and dropping a 3.0-3.2's in them. They get the factory 6 they wanted and they end up with a Boxster killer.

Now. How I would do it: Some people cant crank out 25k on Monday after looking at a car on Friday. In this case.. I would ask for half down and have the person make monthly payments until the car was finished. With your background and industry support.. this shouldnt be a problem.

Just some idea's.

What did the guy from Texas get for his 914/6 conversion car ?? The one that I drove to the MUSR in North Texas for RJ ?? Jon Lowe ended up driving it. LB, you met me at Wes' that day. It was a clean car nicely converted with a early engine... what did it sell for ??

B
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Apr 8 2003, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Yeah, I remember meeting you. Actually, I remember seeing you, thinking "who the hell is this guy who thinks he knows me?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have no idea what that car sold for. It was pretty, though.

-Rusty, dreaming of a winter in a garage, with a rotissary.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 8 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #9

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Brad, Lawrence, Geoff, Kevin,

Thanks for the replies guys. As well as the "guru" status Lawrence, although I'm not very good at tooting my own horn.

I got the car about three years ago, and it's been sitting in one of my storages for about a year and a half. Truly a keeper.

I've managed to pick up a few nice core 2.2 engines, and want to start building them as well, so of course my thoughts have been to do the obvious, but with some trepidation. Why dump the money into a car that I couldn't sell?

Of course anyone that's gone down the conversion route knows what kind of dough it takes to build it. At least when they get done and add the total (if they have the courage to add it up that is!).

I guess I'm also curious as to where the 914 market is these days. I know all vintage cars with collectable appeal have taken a hit, but how does this compare to what it costs to buy all the parts to build the car you've always wanted?

Good to see that at least a few guys have a realistic opinion! Thanks
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Apr 8 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #10

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

After doing the math I still see room to add more $$. I am very happy with the excellent 74 6 conversion I purchased in Seattle for $5500. After looking at the bottom line on your list I am also very happy with the 1998 Boxster that I purchased, online with your 914-6 conversion price.
I would have to say that alot of real sixes have recently come out of the woodwork and they are either getting or trying to get a premium price, and the ones that are sorted out and have some $$ spent on them are selling and the ones that have been driven hard and put away wet are not going to get a second look.
I was actually doing the math for doing a conversion on my yellow 75 when I found the 74 in Seattle, what I paid for that car complete turnkey drive home, I could buy an rebuilt motor and the oil tank and lines. I was still a long way south of a complete 6 conversion and I had not even started on labor.
Financially I don't think a 6 conversion is the kind of car you want to build on spec. Brad is right , get a buyer lined up and work out he exact details and build the car per the buyers specs.
Just my HO.
CCLinLOO
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 8 2003, 12:39 PM
Post #11

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

It certainly is easy to dump a pee pot fulla money into a conversion. I quit counting at around 20K. Getting the money out just ain't gonna happen.
On a good day, with the right buyer, .50 on the dollar is about it.

I watched (on evilbay... a 2.5 & a 3.0l) 2 nice conversions not sell. I think that 15K is about the upper limit for a "normal" conversion.

It isn't the car I've always wanted. I just fell into it, but I'll keep it anyhow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 8 2003, 02:09 PM
Post #12

2270 club

Member No.: 218

It seems like it's only worth converting a car if you are keeping it pretty much forever. The average price range for conversions seems to be $10-$15K. Really nice original sixes have been sellling for $16-$25K. Right now I'm thinking of the green one in Monterey that was on ebay ($16K), the better than stock restored orange car on the east coast ($25K), and Bob D's beautiful car that he just listed for $18K.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 11:00 PM