Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nice Surprise, Engine Assembly Long Rant
tracks914
post Apr 4 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

I am finally putting my engine back together. The block has been done for some time but this weekend I thought I would just finish the rest. Ya Right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
Starting yesterday AM all I had to do was put on the FI, hoses, alternator, engine tin and wiring. By 5 PM this afternoon (only got to work on it 6 hours yesterday and 4 hours today) I still hadn't finished the wiring. But here is the good part. I knew I was given a spare distibutor in a box of crap that came with the car. So I though, instead of using my working distributor to put the new electronic ignition in, rebuild the spare and use it.(and I did) While digging it out I found a really good engine wiring harness. Mine was OK but some plugs had been changed and the boots were 1/2 missing. The new one is complete boots and all and even bends without cracking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) I cleaned it up and will use it tomorrow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I am amazed at how long it took to put all the auxillaries back on the engine. Nothing at all like a water pumper. Between my two engines I think I am going to have a complete engine. Thanks god for the spare I found last fall, it had really good original hoses (the coloured fabric ones) and about 4 pieces of engine tin I didn't know were missing off mine. When you have only ever really seen the one 914 you bought, and you live in an igloo, it's hard to know what is supposed to be there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
If all goes well I might have it in the car next weekend and ........ well we can dream can't we? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Apr 4 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #2

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

I forgot to add, when I was taking parts off the spare, the FI air delivery tubes were 1/2 ful of rust and the rubber boot that goes from the air cleaner to the throttle valve had a mouse nest in it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:33 PM