Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gint just left from my house
weird_looking_cactus
post Apr 4 2004, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Cactus

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,660

Gint made it by my house today. He check out alot of things like my rust problem is not that bad. That on one side my car some one flared out my fender so it makes my wheels look of alinment. Help me put in the supports on my gas tanks. Told me how to fix my doors. Told me how to put new transmission fluid in. Found out why my car is idleing high. Plus answered all my questions. Im stick stuck on fixing my gears cause he said he's never messed with that stuff before. Now when I try to switch it into reverise it goes into second gear. I just need to adjustest it. But anyways Thanks GINT (MIKE). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 4 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good to hear you are making some progress! Little steps at a time makes the journey worthwhile, grasshopper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
+Quote Post
markb
post Apr 4 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #3

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

It makes life so much better when you have someone who knows what's what take a look at the car. Now you got at least a weeks worth of projects. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Glad there's guys like Gint out there helpin' out the next generation 914 owner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Apr 4 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #4

Cactus

Yep he is a good guy. I probley have another couple weeks of projects. Im not sure but for me everything takes 3x as long cause it never comes off how its suppose to haha.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Apr 4 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #5

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

WAY TO GO, GUYS!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

sounds like you're about to have a driver, mr. cacti!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Apr 4 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #6

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

So is it the shifter linkage or the trans that's wonky? Or both?
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Apr 4 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #7

Cactus

Im not sure cause before I had it shifting into second gear everytime I tried to shift into reverse that was when I was messing with the linkage. But as soon as I started the car reverise started to work again and it didn't want to go into second gear. But now I changed 2 of the bushings reverse and first gear go in really smooth now. Im going to mess around with it tomarrow. The only place I know were to adjust it at is by the shifter and thats just to adjust the lenght of the shift linkage rod. Mike was telling me there was another place to adjust it under the center compart ment so I took that out and it was all sealed up. I just hope its not my transmission. theres another bushing that I didn't know were to replace that rich sent me its called special shift housing bushing.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 4 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

first, make sure that little allen screw on the shitfer coupler right behind the firewall is tight.

then, get inside the car and remove the square cover from the center tuneel right before the firewall.
then, loosen the nut that holds the shiftrod to the shifter (through the little opening behind the shifter).
then, use one hand to SLOWLY rotate the shiftrod (through the hole near the rear firewall) and use the other hand to tighten the nut back in the front.
try shifting through the gears and repeat as needed until all gears work fine ...

Andy
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 4 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #9

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 4 2004, 11:54 PM)
use one hand to SLOWLY rotate the shiftrod (through the hole near the rear firewall) and use the other hand to tighten the nut back in the front.

There are splines where the rod enters the connector under the shift lever. You only want to rotate it one spline at a time, then test before changing again.
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Apr 4 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #10

CSOBOSC founding member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 602

Dang, he's making good time in that rent car... He left Glens in Riverside around noon... made it to St. George and fixed 914 stuff and back on the road... he's a mad-man when it comes to road trips...

I know Mike pretty well, any advice he gave you is solid.

sm
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 5 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i was afraid you were going to tell us "mike said the car is so rusty it's unsafe to drive". you are going to figure out the shifter issue and then you will be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) .

kevin
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 5 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #12

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Stop and go traffic on the 15 east of Baker. 3 accidents. One 4 cars in front of me. But I cranked that auto-stick in the beater Mazda. I still made it to St. George in 5.5 hours. I was already east of Vegas in 3:50.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 5 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #13

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Yo cactus.....415PB has a sawzall candidate in the garage,,,,,he is only like 4 hours away being in Palm Desert. Might wanna get in touch with him.

It's a 70 but has good panels in EVERY area but the hellhole/suspension console. The trans is a tail shifter but you can convert it using the external parts on your trans....a lot of the FI parts off of the 1.7 can be used as well.....

I will be out there with my trailer on the 17th to help move my mom from Palm Springs to Orange County....maybe something can happen....
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 5 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Check the "shifting improvements" tech article on the Pelican site for some illustrated instructions on messing with the shifter. On a 75, that one adjustment you know about also adjusts the whole pattern side-to-side, which may be how the 2nd/reverse thing changed.

--DD
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Apr 5 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #15

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

Okay, I'm confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

'Gint' lives in Denver, and 'weird looking cactus' lives in Utah....Some sort of road trip(WCC)?

P.S. - I'm originally from Arvada, CO. I know the I-70 area like the back of my hand, Family still lives there (Bro in Westminster, Mom off of Jewell [Kunsmiller JHS area] in Denver). Where's your shop at Gint? When I go out for a visit, I'll have to swing by and say 'hey'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif)
+Quote Post
weird_looking_cactus
post Apr 5 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #16

Cactus

Im making some progress on the gears. Cause now it will go into second and won't pop out but when Im driving it and I and switch into second gear I have to hold the clutch half way in when in second or if I let it out all the way into second gear then it just drops so a super low idle. Its kinda weird if I try to go into third gear it does the same thing I can still go in it but I have to sit there and balance the clutch so its no to far down or all the way out.
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Apr 5 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #17

CSOBOSC founding member

QUOTE(Special_K @ Apr 5 2004, 03:23 PM)
Okay, I'm confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

'Gint' lives in Denver, and 'weird looking cactus' lives in Utah....Some sort of road trip(WCC)?

Ginter finds it enjoyable to drive from Colorado to So Cal and back for a two day weekends on occasion just to see a bunch of knuckleheads he knows on the left coast and do a couple errands on the way...

I've met his wife, it's not her...

sm
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Apr 5 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,179

Man Cactus, that is weird.

Just a thought, I would not drive with the clutch partially engaged. That will cause lots of ware on the disk and throw-out bearing. It sounds to me (and this is a wild guess), like you are not actually shifting into second or third, but fourth and fifth. If that were the case it might explain the drop in RPMs. Just some thing to consider.

-Pete
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Apr 5 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #19

CSOBOSC founding member

QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Apr 5 2004, 05:00 PM)
Im making some progress on the gears. Cause now it will go into second and won't pop out but when Im driving it and I and switch into second gear I have to hold the clutch half way in when in second or if I let it out all the way into second gear then it just drops so a super low idle. Its kinda weird if I try to go into third gear it does the same thing I can still go in it but I have to sit there and balance the clutch so its no to far down or all the way out.

You sure you don't have the linkage out far enough that you are hitting 4th and 5th?

sm
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Apr 5 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #20

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

I drove from Poway, CA (the old digs) to Denver a couple of times in the early '80s. The first time was a bitch. Had a '73 Vega GT (okay, you can quit laughing now), and just outside of Las Vegas (Spanish for: The Vega's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) it started running HOT. I had to drive the rest of the way to Denver (in July) with the heater on full blast to keep it from overheating (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . Back then, I-70 and I-15 didn't connect and it took a full 20 hours non-stop to get there, beautiful drive through the mountains though.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:19 PM