Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Good News...And the Not so Good News, It's finished! Until you find something else (:>(
bandjoey
post May 26 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #1

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Wow. Took my car out all week on small trips around town and it drives just as fast as the 1.8 will let it go. Up to 70 on the freeway running like a top. Then the 914 curse hit town.

It started on a small street in a small town...oh sorry that's another story. I was working on getting the front hood seal on straight, when my wonderful neighbor came over to watch and help. Ok I'm a good neighbor too, and he wanted to be sooo in the way helpful. I asked him to pick up the rubber seal and lift it up over the front lid, and take it off. He sets down his full glass of red wine IN THE STINKING TRUNK (OH WAIT, IT WASN'T STINKING THEN WAS IT) AND SPILLS HIS WINE DOWN THE FRONT OF THE SPARE TIRE BOARD AND DOWN INTO THE AC CONDENSOR.!@##$%^#$%&@#$@%! NOW IT STINKS. Of course, he brings me a roll of paper towels, and then discovers his wife is looking for him and leaves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

So, my girl comes out and starts begging for a ride to go by some of her friends houses. I was happy for the diversion and pulled the top and took off. About 10 minutes later, I started to smell the dreaded smell - Oil on the exhaust.

Pulled back into the drive, looked under the car, and oil is dripping out of the rear of the motor from the hole where the tranny connects. It's oil and not tranny
fluid. I guess it's the rear main seal leaking now. That's the only seal I didn't replace. UUGGGGHHHHHHH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Sounds like a great weekend coming up. Clay, I'll call you and you can give it an inspection to see for sure. <Where's the begging smiley?>

The adventure continues............

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom
post May 26 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

You gotta keep wine and cheese away from 914's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) That is for those other folks.
Tom
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post May 26 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #3

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

YOW! I thought my nosey neighbors were bad.

"Your Honor, I know I killed my neighbor, but truthfully, he needed killin' at that point"

I dropped the trans in an hour by myself when I wore a younger man's clothes.

Don't recommend it.

Use that neighbor as a drop cloth and cushion to lower the trans onto. Open his mouth to catch the 90w.

If he complains, pour in some red wine.

J
+Quote Post
914four
post May 26 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,582
Region Association: South East States

The car seems to be coming right along now just keep on wrenching.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 26 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #5

bandjoey

I like the cushion idea. "it doesn't weigh much. Just lay there and hold it up while I unbolt this" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 27 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #6

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792

did you replace the galley plugs in the back? it might be the plugs instead of the rear main seal.

I think I have an extra (read: free) rear seal... if I do, it's yours.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 27 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #7

bandjoey

Thanks Wayne. I'll probably need it. I'm going to get Clay to give it a look over first to be sure. The PO put this motor in the car and it has evidence of a rebuild, but I don't know what he did and he's not available to ask. Keep you posted.

I've read that if a galley plug comes out that quarts of oil blow out. This is a messy big drip. While driving there's enough oil to smoke on the exhaust. Overnight there's a 6" puddle on the ground under the back of the motor. It stops just a minute after shutting down the motor. I need to have a rear seal party probably.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 27 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Bummer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Since trouble comes in 3's, watch out for the neighbor's cat...
+Quote Post
Grelber
post May 27 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #9

Insert favorite Don Rickles joke here.

Member No.: 6,107

You see, that's what you get for not bringing it to this side of town. East of I35E the majic "Wes" gremlins jump out and fix 914's. (unless you're Wayne). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 27 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #10

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792

've read that if a galley plug comes out that quarts of oil blow out. This is a messy big drip. While driving there's enough oil to smoke on the exhaust. Overnight there's a 6" puddle on the ground under the back of the motor. It stops just a minute after shutting down the motor. I need to have a rear seal party probably.

not so... the galley plugs can "seep" too.. but I hope it's the seal... you can replace that with the engine still in the car, for galley plugs you really should split the case. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

mine did before Wes rebuilt the motor, and fixed all the plugs with new NPT fittings.

mine is pretty much fixed on every front, Ron (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) wipers are acting flaky, but I don't drive it in the rain anyway.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:22 PM