Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake upgrades? What do you use?
naro914
post Jun 7 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #21

Losing my mind...

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

OK, i just looked at this picture and realized I also have completely different suspension and spindles, so this isn't applicable for most.

The 993 rear calipers will ALMOST fit onto 3.5" stock spindles - that's what Huey has. You have to wallow out the caliper holes a couple mm to the inside, but they fit perfect on the rotor. I've run them on Huey for street, AX, and Targa Newfoundland for 4 years, and on Papa Smurf for at least 6 years.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
andys
post Jun 8 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 7 2010, 06:25 PM) *

OK, i just looked at this picture and realized I also have completely different suspension and spindles, so this isn't applicable for most.

The 993 rear calipers will ALMOST fit onto 3.5" stock spindles - that's what Huey has. You have to wallow out the caliper holes a couple mm to the inside, but they fit perfect on the rotor. I've run them on Huey for street, AX, and Targa Newfoundland for 4 years, and on Papa Smurf for at least 6 years.

Bob,

What size master cylinder are you using with your setup?

Andys
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jun 8 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #23

Losing my mind...

23 mm.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jun 8 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #24

Losing my mind...

Huey should be back at the shop next week or so to fix the oil leak, and I'll take new pictures of the brakes and set up there.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 14 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I'm running Boxster calipers front and rear. Very happy with the setup. No squeaks or squeals and great breaking!! Up front i'm running 3.5" struts with standard 911 ventilated disks. In the rear early ventilated 911 disks. Adapters front and rear are from Richard Johnson. I'm also running a 911 emergency brake. I'm also running a 19mm master cylinder. Seems fine to me, but I have never tried a bigger one.
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Jun 16 2010, 04:39 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Building my track car now. I am using 951 front calipers and SC/Carerra rears with a 911 e-brake setup. I'll let you know how it goes after the first event in late July.
+Quote Post
rickthejetman
post Jun 16 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 10,335

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jun 16 2010, 03:39 AM) *

Building my track car now. I am using 951 front calipers and SC/Carerra rears with a 911 e-brake setup. I'll let you know how it goes after the first event in late July.

seams to me that with the relitive inexpence and availibility of wilwood parts, stock porsche parts would not be the way to go. way to hard to come by any way way way over priced.
is there any advantage to running porsche parts?
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Jul 2 2010, 04:36 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(rickthejetman @ Jun 16 2010, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jun 16 2010, 03:39 AM) *

seams to me that with the relitive inexpence and availibility of wilwood parts, stock porsche parts would not be the way to go. way to hard to come by any way way way over priced.
is there any advantage to running porsche parts?

I'd like to do some vintage racing later this season. Although the 951/SC brake setup may be frowned upon by the organization, a fellow teener was allowed to compete. A new Wilwood setup would not be allowed.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 2 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #29

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I know vintage racing out here requires the brakes to be from the year of the car and also something that was available from the factory.

so an S caliper (per a factory gt) would work
a 951 caliper would not

everybody's different obviously.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Jul 2 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #30

Brant, I know what you are saying about the originality factor. The way it was put to my friend was "Please take care of that as soon as you can". I believe he was bumped up a class or two. He was also running an FI 3.2 in his GT-look teener!! Car count may have also come into play.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 4 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #31

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jul 2 2010, 10:36 AM) *

Brant, I know what you are saying about the originality factor. The way it was put to my friend was "Please take care of that as soon as you can". I believe he was bumped up a class or two. He was also running an FI 3.2 in his GT-look teener!! Car count may have also come into play.

The club out here used to allow cars like that (3.2) to run as exhibition
when car counts came up, they decided to no longer allow exhibition cars this year. They had never issued log books to exhibition cars. This year there are a lot of angry people who have been racing for years with the club that are suddenly not. I was on the eligibility team, representing porsches for about 6 months. It was not fun fighting. I quit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 4 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

I agree with JP that the original poster doesn't need to go crazy for a street application.

When I wanted to upgrade the brakes on The Beast I asked Matt Lowrance what to do.

He said run Carrera calipers both front and rear. We are running 10 and 11 inch slicks on the car so needed some extra umph.

I've driven the car at three different track days and it worked perfectly. Never faded even a little.

I got the calipers from Rich Bontempi.

If I were to go the next step it would be with the Wilwood setup. But remember to change the master cylinder as 19mm one won't work. Been there, done that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 8 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #33

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110

Carrera calipers are the heaviest calipers ever made for the front of a 911. Weighing in at 9lbs. 6oz each (without pads)

S-Calipers have the same pad and piston size and weigh 5lbs. 4oz.

The Carrera rotors (which are not needed on a lightweight 914) also weigh an additional 4lbs. each.

All tolled, the Carrera system will add almost 35lbs. of unsprung/semi-sprung weight to your car.

Also, PP is "still" listing SS pistons at $240.00. They are now available at 1/2 that price. Almost "all S-Calipers pistons are bad due to the nickle plating for dis-similar metal fusion issues.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jul 8 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #34

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 8 2010, 03:00 PM) *

Carrera calipers are the heaviest calipers ever made for the front of a 911. Weighing in at 9lbs. 6oz each (without pads)

S-Calipers have the same pad and piston size and weigh 5lbs. 4oz.

The Carrera rotors (which are not needed on a lightweight 914) also weigh an additional 4lbs. each.

All tolled, the Carrera system will add almost 35lbs. of unsprung/semi-sprung weight to your car.

Also, PP is "still" listing SS pistons at $240.00. They are now available at 1/2 that price. Almost "all S-Calipers pistons are bad due to the nickle plating for dis-similar metal fusion issues.

You're right, Eric, but I had no luck with 914 rear calipers/rotors with S fronts.....the rears were not carring their load.
Had to go to an M set up in back.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 8 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #35

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 8 2010, 07:45 PM) *

You're right, Eric, but I had no luck with 914 rear calipers/rotors with S fronts.....the rears were not carrying their load.
Had to go to an M set up in back.

And this is why 914.6 rear calipers use 'M' size pads and bigger pistons...
For a dedicated track car with no E-brake requirement, M's in the back pretty much duplicates the factory (street, non-GT) /6 setup. Should work really well.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 12 2010, 08:58 AM
Post #36

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110

For a dedicated track car with no E-brake requirement, M's in the back pretty much duplicates the factory (street, non-GT) /6 setup. Should work really well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Probably saved a little weight with that set-up... 2 ounces each to be precise (over a 914-4 caliper).

However... unless you took the spacers out, you added a vented rotor so, that would add an additional 4lbs. (approx. 2lbs. each). Good move regardless because I don't think 914 rear calipers are a good match for 48mm pistons or that larger pad. They're basically not a good match for anything but a 914 front caliper. The BMW (quazi) "upgrade" does the same thing. A Suby guy in the garage did this and had the same results. Again, 48mm pistons and a pad that is almost identical to the A-Caliper (Carrera) and S-Caliper size.

One way to do it (as eluded to above) would be to use 911 rear calipers for the best brake bias with the 38mm pistons and larger pads. Take out the spacers and use early 914-4 front fasteners (M7 stuff is virtually unavailable). Then use the lighter 914-6 rotors. This would shave 1lb. 12oz. off the weight of a standard 914-6 set-up. More if you consider the savings from no cables and not handbrake. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This is "way" cost effective (when flown in the face of the costly 914-6 caliper). I put a few sets together from time to time and threw them in the classifieds but... nobody seems to understand the application. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The pro autocross guys can weigh in here but, I don't think you'd need a vented rotor back there for autocrossing. I guess it depends on how close the run groups are or, how many runs per. Not sure. That said, I would contend that autocrossing is probably harder on the brakes than road courses where fairly long stretches might allow for better cooling all around.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jul 12 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #37

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

It came dow to time, money, & effort.I knew the Ms would do the trick and allowed me to adjust the bias to just where I wanted it......about 3/4-1 turn from full open after some foolin' around. The extra weight was not a bonus and I'm sure there is something lighter that would do the trick but I'm happy. Prior to that I had taken about 1.5 lbs off each swing arm. I was net looser. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Then I moved on to the next challenge. Bought some 16 X 10 wheels that weigh 11 lbs ea... we were back on path.
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Sep 4 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #38

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003

OK..there are lots of brake "upgrades" that can be done. I feel that the "big reds" are overkill for a 914. What I used on my six conversion is this. I built it for DE's and maybe future club racing, but most of the miles will be street miles.

Front: C2 calipers, Carrera slotted rotors that were "frozen", Hawk street pads for the street and Hawk "blue" pads for the track. The front brakes are cooled with a cooling kit and block off plates.

Rear: C2 Turbo calipers, Carrera slotted rotors that were "frozen", Hawk street pads/"blue" track pads.

19mm master cyl. and Tilton proportioning valve.

Some may agree/disagree with this setup, but it has worked great at the three DE's I've been to with no fade and great stopping power. Using 15" wheels with this set up.....

Fronts:

Attached Image

Rears:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TorqueJunkie
post Feb 19 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 11,760

Well I finally got my brakes off and rebuilt. Alloy S up front with Ferrodo old skool pads(have 12 sets NOS) so figured can burn them up. Rears are the M 911 calipers with the thicker rotors. This worked out fine. Thought that by sitting they would be ruined, but had the stainless pistons in the s calipers and the rears cleaning up fine too. Will see how it holds up with the new power plant. 2.4 with 2.2S pistons and Solex cams with Webers.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:50 AM